Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s Chicago Sees 139 Percent Increase in Murder

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Aug 1, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Pretty much. Anyone with a brain can see right through their fake ass "concern"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wasn't aware that someone had to care 'about' an issue to discuss it on an internet message board. i had believed if you are interested in a particular topic it's fair game to discuss. Your position according to your post is you care about Chicago homicides but you don't want to discuss with people you believe don't care?

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Legend

Jul 4, 2020
    My Chicagoan wife and I spend time in Chicagoland almost every summer. There are a few very small terrible areas to avoid. The rest is wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Gang members killing each other doesn’t bother me unless an innocent bystander gets hit with a stray bullet.

I suggest they all be given guns and ammo and locked inside a stadium to shoot it out.

The winning gang gets to take on the next gang in line the following weekend.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. gatorzfan

gatorzfan VIP Member

Sep 1, 2017
    That should make the people who live in the very small terrible areas feel better. Perhaps they will now know to avoid the area that they live in.

6. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What’s the difference between many people seemingly having little or no care at all in these killings (like you perhaps?) than having “fake ass” concern? I, for one, am concerned about the spike in shootings and murders of innocent people over the last two months in this country. But hey, I’m sure in the next few weeks there will be another criminal who is shot by police and the BLM movement will have another life to be concerned about. Because right now there sure doesn’t seem to be even “fake ass” concern from BLM about the hundreds of others that have been shot and killed this summer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If Black Lives ACTUALLY mattered to Republicans why do they consistently oppose programs that benefit low-income Americans who are disproportionately people of color. It seems to me that if Republicans really cared about the lives of Black American they would be supporting rather than opposing access to universal affordable medical care. Many more Black Americans die as the result of lack of access to medical care than as the result of homicides.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    The problem is that it is used by Republicans as a fake counterpoint to BLM. And yes, they pretend that they care about what’s happening in Chicago to try to redirect the movement from what the movement is really about.

Good to see that you are freely admitting to not caring. It is refreshing. At least we know you are totally genuine about being fake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    That's how I feel when I visit my daughter.

10. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    When or where did i write i don't care? i'd like to see you point that out. my first post was stating i think it's an important topic to discuss. my 2nd post addressed the refusal of some including yourself to not discuss based upon some people you believe don't care. what i wrote speaks for itself.

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    You implied that you didn't care.

I will absolutely discuss the matter with those I believe don't care. I never said I wouldn't. Point out where I said that. What I said is that I know that *most* Republicans don't really care about what is happening in Chicago or other places that are perceived to have high black-on-black murder rates. It is only used as a punchline to somehow delegitimize BLM.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. FrankGator627

FrankGator627 VIP Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gator Nation
  13. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    BLM Chicago's stated goal is that the city redirect some of the $1.8 billion police budget into schools, mental health centers, housing, and social services.

I'd love to hear how that implies they don't care about the quality of life in their community.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Why is it so hard for you to understand that BLM is addressing a specific issue? The fact that they are primarily fighting against police brutality does not mean those same people don't also care about black-on-black crime. Why don't you stop trying to decide what BLM should be about and just accept what it is about? It doesn't need to address all issues to be legitimately addressing a specific issue.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The reason this is important, aside from the BLM movement, it's my opinion, i believe that the way this is being set up - primarily de-funding the police, makes homicides in a city and police shootings in a city inversely proportional. i support the concept ogf social justice, however i believe you will get more murders and crimes as you neuter police others disagree but thats my take on it.
    also, if some of my answers seem brief, i dad a biking accident 3 weeks ago, fractured my right shoulder, so my arm is immobilizefd and im learning to type eat etc left handed. my age i hope it heals enough in a month or so in order yo have limited use of my right hand

at this time if all goes well, golf etc will be 2021 jan-feb

16. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    let’s say a city has 10 people...

If one person commits a murder... that city will have a higher murder rate than Chicago, despite only having one murder...

I wouldn’t say that means that this particular city has a Worse murder problem than Chicago...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Why are liberals allowed to take over the country with protests specifically about racist police forces,

but the minute that conservatives bring up murders on Blacks in Chicago, “they don’t really care about Black Lives, they’re just using it as a club to beat the left” despite more Blacks being murdered in Chicago alone than by police nationwide?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    The issue here is largely one of how society and the justice system treats those two events. If one member of a gang shoots another and we know exactly who did it, they are almost 100% going to prison for a very long time. If a police officer kills somebody, even if the person wasn't much of a threat to them, they will be hard to imprison. In North Charleston, there was a video tape of a guy shooting somebody running away and then planting a weapon on him. The jury verdict? Hung jury (he did eventually take a plea to federal charges). You think there would have been a hung jury if we could watch a gang member shoot a man running away from him and then planting a weapon on the body to try to claim self defense?

19. emmitt22

emmitt22 Sophomore

Jul 25, 2020
    At least you see that now, do you see that the Dems only care about blacks very election year?

20. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    To use your ridiculous example, where would rather live, Chicago, or a town where you have a 1 in 10 chance of being murdered? Be honest.