Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Maybe CBN is turning the corner!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by python15, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It kind of depends how many "tiers" there are I guess... and how many teams are in each tier.

Just based on recent history, it looks like LSU, Georgia, and Bama are tier 1. Florida has to be the second best job in the East if we just have the right guy. The program just needs to stabilize a bit, but nobody is going to convince me that Florida's baseline isn't higher than Missouri or Tennessee. Somehow, we find a way to beat Tennessee even when we're completely dysfunctional.

As far as programs in the West, Ole Miss has been good, but I think they have a really good coach in Kiffin and have hit their ceiling. Insert Kiffin in Gainesville under decent conditions and he probably does better here (but who knows what issues you'll have with Kiffin). Texas A&M has crazy potential, but they've been unlucky. And Auburn is in a fairly comparable spot to us, at least in regards to stability and results.

Yeah, Florida needs administrative support to compete with the big boys... and the expectations need to be tempered if that support is lacking. But based on opportunity, if the job were on the table tomorrow, there are only 3 programs in the SEC that should be easier to run long-term: Alabama, Georgia, and LSU. Texas A&M may be in a similar spot just because they're a Texas school competing in the SEC with tons of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's less organized than that, and each tier can have almost any amount of teams, but just for the sake of it I would use 4 tiers and at least 3 in each tier. Although the 4th tier would have more than 3 coaching jobs in that last tier for sure.

I don't know if we're still not one of the best coaching destinations still, or not. But we have all the resources you can ask for... I guess it only comes down to one detail. Are we going to open up the check book for the assistant coaches that we need to succeed.

Or... are we second tier becasue we're still penny pinching for coaches. 1st tier programs know that coaching and getting the best coaches is a business... "Scared money don't make money."

3. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Not in the current landscape IMO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, I still think Napier can get there with his skills as a recruiter. All he needs is the willingness of our UAA and SS to pony up the finds to get the best possible assistant coaching out there. That includes money to steal the best coaches from top tier programs if we have to.

He also needs to be the CEO that our football program has to have...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yep, and I'm not even saying the market isn't crazy. The coaching market at the highest level is absolutely insane. But if Bama, Georgia, and LSU are spending insane money. And Texas A&M is spending insane money, we're going to have to spend insane money to compete with them.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you created a Frankenstein monster staff of coaches we've had over the last decade, namely Muschamp's Defense, Mullen's Offense, and Napier's recruiting... you'd have a championship level program:D.

Mac honestly wasn't that bad, but he was a weird transitory coach that had great moments but definitely didn't leave a lasting mark on the program at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I hope all that want the admin to give Napier more $$$ are sending their checks in.

Btw, he already has far more resources than his predecessors ever did. Maybe he could cut a few of those 50+ analysts and use that $$. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. EbSaxman

EbSaxman GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Which three?

9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Right.

10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’ll always be that way. Tougher to earn a good record. I like it much better than four games a year against decent teams.

11. airgator96

airgator96 All American

May 16, 2007
    Jacksonville
    BN being here for year 4 is going to be based on this year's transfer portal and Mertz staying.

If he does not land an Oline in the transfer portal he is going to fail it is as simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    Utah, Kentucky, Arkansas , Missouri and FSU. Poor game planning, poor clock management, poor play calling, poor in game adjustments, poor tackling, poor discipline, poor in game management to name a few. All of which is poor coaching. Every game was winnable. We have a 9 or 10 win season with the same team but SOS or UM at the helm.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And he doesn’t write the checks so it’s kinda out of his hands. Let’s hope the boosters get him the players and he has a fair shot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Something to note:

Mike Norvell went 3-6 and 5-7 in his first 2 seasons at fsu.
    Billy Napier has a top 5 class coming in this recruiting year.
    Gotta at least give Billy a third year. If no improvement, then gotta make tough decisions. I like Billy and think he deserves at least another season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That shouldn’t even be a discussion.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    And they get a bowl game and up to 15 practices to continue to develop their young talent while we are home.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    We have plenty of talent. We only played 2 maybe 3 teams this year that were more talented than us. There’s a breakdown that showed only 2, it’s not my opinion. I would have figured 3 teams but nope only 2. To lose 7 games in year 2 is rough.
    As you said we were outcoached several times this year.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Yep, kids want to win. Our organization and Billy’s Army is one of the biggest in college football. We spent the money, paid our head coach very well, and gave him one of the biggest assistant coaching staffs in the country. You’re right about the portal. If we do not have an impact DT, LT committed on day one that will tell you all you need to know. we have got to be aggressive. We cannot sit back and wait in the portal. If we are not in a bowl game we should be picking up impact players. I’m not forgetting WR, LB, Safety.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

May have had to do with the roster too

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    6 now with Miami passing.