Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Maybe CBN is turning the corner!

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by python15, Nov 29, 2023.

1. python15

python15 Sophomore

Feb 25, 2017
    I am encouraged by the last 2 games. He has 11 freshman playing . His best lb out and 4 injured OL. Plus Mertz out for F.S.U. all the talent on this team is what he brought in. The 18 sr and jr honored Saturday show me how we lack in talent. Only 2 players out 18 are really contributor's and one of those was a transfer he brought in. I hate it right now but we have got to get behind this guy. I truly think he will turn it around. I started season tix when we went 0-10-1. I have seen the lows and highs (the lows suck) I believe we are not that far away from the highs! Go GATORS

• Like x 14
    • Optimistic x 12
    • Agree x 10
    • Best Post Ever x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I think most on here support him and want him to be successful. He's the type of guy you want to root for and be here long term. However, it doesn't show a lack of support to have some concerns that he may not be capable, especially after these last 2 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

meh

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    I agree with you completely python.

I lived through 0-10-1 and that team had a lot more talent than what Napier had last year.

He’s recruiting better than anyone here has in the last 10+ years.

Give him time.

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  5. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 11
  6. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    problem is - georiga, fsu,, texas, a&m, lsu, tenn and miami are also recruiting well and we play them next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. supduc

supduc Junior

Nov 30, 2016
    I've said it before, but Napier's long term success here is entirely based on his ability to adapt and address deficiencies. Something his predecessors failed to do.

His statements make it seem like he gets that from a grand perspective, but he's not going to throw anyone under the bus in the process. We'll have to see how the off-season plays out.

Also, since we like to draw comparisons to our rivals, lets not forget there were posters from gator boards making fun of Kirby Smart's game management and assistant hires for the first few years of his tenure before he adapted, changed up some staff and got it rolling. The difference is he inherited a 10 win roster from a 15 year tenured head coach.

The difference of having a talented roster masks a lot of flaws and right now our talent levels/youth combined with the growing pains are making it seem a lot worse.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
  8. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I won't back down.

9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You should see the 'Den. The pitchforks are mighty sharp over there. I'll refrain from further commentary ;).

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Let’s grade coaches, A+ to all of them! Lifetime contracts all around.

See? That’s how you keep a thread from getting locked! You younguns got to learn a thing or two.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    I’ve been going to Gator games, since 1968, and have scene football fans go from “WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!” to “meh.”

12. ufstang

ufstang Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm no fan of the outcome of the season but I'm also at the point where I'm over this turn and burn mindset of coaching hires. I believe with the recruiting classes he's brought, and bringing in, he's setting himself up for success. If it doesnt pan out in year four I'd be fine with cutting ties, as those are all his recruits and his system. Otherwise, we could easily fall into the cycle of of chasing out coaches who don't benefit from their recruiting, have a new subpar coach look good because of the recruiting, only to fall off....and start the cycle again. As long as I see growth I'm content with giving a few foundational years, and I feel as though I saw growth in the offense in the last quarter of the season.

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I have been saying this all year long. Finally... someone else gets it.

Thank you for posing this...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    I saw the pay scale of these other assistant coaches compared to ours on TOS... one of them, can't remember which one or I would post the link. But we are near the bottom of the pay scale compared to other SEC schools as far as assistant coaching pay goes. That has to change in order for Napier to get/steal the best coaches available.

Napier has to be free to get whomever he needs, becasue he cannot coach the entire team by himself.

In his first year he tried to get the best but many of these coaches said, "no thank you..." and I guarantee it was about the pay, or lack there of... If the UAA and SS really want the best coaches for our football team they will have to open up the check book.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. gooberpeas

gooberpeas All American

Jan 4, 2021
    Agree I was a business man my entire life and if you go cheap you get what you pay for. It never works out going cheap.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe so, but keep an eye out for how many of those players hit the portal. What good is it if the team you are almost turning the corner, has players jumping out of the moving vehicle? I'm have as many as 16 hitting the portal or declaring for the draft, so it remains to be seen if we have a completely new team come next season. Napier is going to have to raid the portal. Like I said many times now, my belief is the next dynasty will be one where the HBC builds a team every season from the portal. The majority of Heisman winners since the portal really opened up have been transfer players.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    We keep blaming talent but at least 3 losses this year can be attributed to coaching. It definitely was not the lack of talent that cost us the game last week.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  18. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    He needs to get UF back to at least being 2nd tier status in the SEC starting next year. No excuses

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Funny that you mentioned this. On SECRant, most of the haters there still put the Gators' football program and job in the second tier.

I'd like t get to the top (1st) tier... personally.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Good thing is several of those have top to bottom coaching issues similar to us.

It's a talent acquisition game now. All of those teams are really threatening, but apart from Kirby I'm not sure any of those teams have an elite coach. Who is the next best of the bunch? Kelly at LSU? I think it'd be a bit of a stretch to call him elite. He seems good, not great.

• Agree Agree x 2