Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Matt Rhule

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by swampspring, Nov 7, 2021.

1. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    What do you guys think of our chances of getting someone like him? He's obviously not enjoying his tenure with Carolina so far and the fans have been frustrated with the results. I watched his press conference today and he just seemed worn out. I don't see him leaving Carolina after this year (especially if he can get semi-decent QB play) but if the losses continue, he could be a possible target after next year's "Muschamp Year 4".

Personally, I think he would be great here. He knows offense, can recruit, and most importantly, knows how to build a program from the ground up, which means he's more CEO-like than coordinator. That said, he's a former Nittany Lion and if Franklin leaves for USC, I could see him going to Penn State.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Carolina Panthers: Analyst claims Matt Rhule 'not all in' on the NFL (catcrave.com)

Speaking on The Herd, FOX Sports’ college football analyst Joel Klatt stated that he’d been told that Rhule was not “all the way in” on the NFL and could be a target for some top jobs including those at USC and potentially Penn State.

“I’ve been told that Matt Rhule is not… all the way in on the NFL moving forward and that he could potentially come back down to college and take one of these jobs.”

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I’ve brought him up before. Love to have him. He’s 24/7 committed to all things to make a program successful.

• Like Like x 3
  4. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    If he is a serious option I think he would be my top option.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I like him too...but it's a bit ironic to say you like him because he is 24/7 committed, when he could possibly be "not all in" with the Panthers

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Panthers season doesn't end until Jan 9th, that's a long time to wait, he probably doesn't pull a Petrino and walk out early.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    True. Though this might be of benefit to us because both usc and lsu (possibly Penn state depending on franklin) are looking now whereas based on what we know, we still have Mullen past this season. I don't see usc or lsu waiting until after the NFL season is over to make a hire. Too much noise in the system to be that patient.

I like to think the UF AD is thinking ahead knowing what we all know that 2022 likely will be a lame duck year, but maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

8. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't see him lasting the length of his contract unless they grab a new qb.
    he's making 8.5 million a year, and went 5-11 in year one.
    Their 4-5 with the cardinals, bills and have to play the bucs twice. they will be struggling to be .500.

But unless he's canned, I'd be surprised to see him walk away from that contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I think it is because of the silliness of the NFL. Like Spurrier and now perhaps Meyer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    I’ve never understood the fascination with Rhule, he was 47-43 as a college head coach. I know he’s high energy and know for recruiting, but none of that matters if you barely win more than you lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009

Context matters though. He took over bad programs and moved them to respectable. Pretty much every year was an improvement. His first year at Baylor they lost 11 games. In his third season they went 11-1.

Im not saying he is Saban, but Saban also was just above average at mich state but improved every year. Sustained improvement and growth is what we probably would want in the next head coach, not one-year wonders or coaches who walked into a ready-built program.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009
    Saban was 34-24 at Michigan state. That's not great but we all could see the potential back then.

13. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    U don’t even get considered for pro hc jobs when ur a college guy if u don’t know what ur doing. But I just can’t see dan being ousted this year short of us losing 2 of the next 3. Which is not out of the realm of possibility

14. rj_gator

rj_gator Junior

Sep 29, 2008
    Denver, CO
    The big thing with him is that he walked into dumpster fires at Temple and Baylor and took both programs from double digit losses in his first year to double digit wins in his 3rd year. The guy is a turnaround machine. The concern i would have is that he never stayed in one place long enough to see how he does long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    Idk man, in the past I would agree, but how do you explain the Kingsbury hire? Even some of the other recent hires, like who was McVeigh before he got the head coaching job. It's almost like the NFL has went the opposite way, someone young and innovative over the guy who's actually been successful in college. It wouldn't surprise me if Joe Brady gets a head job within 3 years with no experience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    He would be a clear upgrade. I don't think he is ready to give up on the NFL. The issue all coaches in the NFL face is it is so talent and particularly QB dependent. And coaches have little control over it. It just isn't easy getting a good NFL QB. If you don't have one you are almost definitely going to fail.

17. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 All American

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Is he known for recruiting? From what I can tell Baylor had 40th best class before him, and during his tenure he was 35th-40th best class every season, then he left to the NFL after only 3 years there, which to me screams of someone sick of recruiting (though arguably he could have just wanted to prove himself at the highest levels).

18. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Not gonna happen

19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

LOL. Some of you want to replace Dan Mullen with a guy that chose Sam (I see ghosts) Darnold?
    I mean, IF we had an opening (which we will not unless Dan quits) Rhule would certainly be worth a look, but that Darnold decision is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    That was Willie Taggart's resume before he took the FSU job.

• Like Like x 1