Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Matt Hayes at SDS weighs in on CBN

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gatormagic, Dec 12, 2023.

1. gatormagic

gatormagic GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, TN
    Matt Hayes discusses CBN and the exits of Ettienne and others via the portal. Well worth your time to check it out, particularly Ettienne’s under use……it really is shocking and obvious why he’s left the Gators.
    Really makes you wonder how CBN will turn the Gators fortunes around. Hayes makes valid points about the limited impact incoming freshmen will make as well as CBN’s hits and misses from the portal. Hayes take on UF’s woeful defense and our continuing struggles is also spot on, IMO.
    I initially thought Napier might be the guy to turn around the Gators football fortunes. After two seasons, I seriously think we’re witnessing the continuation of Stricklin’s hiring failures.
    Check out the article; it’s informative and fair.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. proudgator1973

proudgator1973 VIP Member

Not saying TE wasn't a dynamic player, but I'd want to give consideration to Tre Wilson and Piersall as well with my personal ranking coming in at Wilson #1, Etienne #2 and Piersall #3

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I thought TE battled injury part of the year?
    If so his touches would be fewer than the Mizzou tailback.
    I also thought backs didn’t want to get 35 carries per game like the old days because of longevity issues?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Several freshman played and at least 4 of them are getting post season awards from all over the place. And more than these two made a huge impact, like EW3 and Kelby.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If the majority of the class holds and UF gets their guys in the portal, UF will be better.

• Agree x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  7. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    ETN was a poor pass blocker. There is no question he’s a dynamic ball carrier. There were plenty of frustrating times we needed him on the field and Napier kept Johnson in. However, ETN’s presence on the field limited the play calling because he was so deficient at pass protection. It limited the initial play call and limits your audibles with him on the field. Which makes things even worse when you have a bad play caller to begin with.

ETN is going to split reps no matter where he goes. That’s the game today. He needs to pick a spot with a competent play caller and an OL that won’t need him to pick up blitzes or provide as much pass pro support. Losing him sucks but watching him get pushed around in the backfield is the only thing that softens the blow.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I actually don’t have a problem with the poster above me’s take … On field…
    Those two players and their production may be easy to replace… What concerns me about losing them are two things. 1 recruiting and building a program and creating momentum… Perception is everything and almost
    becomes reality… As you can see, by Matt Hayes article, comments by everyone from local media to Finebaum to Shane Matthews… the perception is that Napier can’t hang onto his stars, can’t hang onto his guys, hasn’t developed guys and obviously bottom line, hasn’t won on the field and so players are leaving the program in a different way than they’re leaving Ohio State or Georgia or Alabama… It has a different feel here of Florida right now… And that bad momentum snowball and bad story generator is out of control
    2. The second issue I have with writing off those losses as replaceable is the potential of those two players, and potentially what they may do at another program ala Tyron Hopper, Reese, Powell Ryland etc … If ETN goes to Georgia and just crushes it, that’s going to send a signal to recruits all around the country that “you go to Florida and they bury you at number two on the chart and you go somewhere else you’re gonna get Carries, touchdowns & championships.

Napier cannot stop this negative mojo that has lasted five straight losses and several defections, fast enough… He has to crush the end of this recruiting class and try to stay top six or seven, and really needs to crush in the portal along the lines, and that’s not just about production, as we all know, sometimes what looks good signing day doesn’t pan out… It’s about perception

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    Billy’s only remedy right now is to win. Losing players is no longer an excuse, this is year 3, this is his roster. Who has stayed and who has been brought in is on him.

This better be a playoff contending year or he should get his walking papers. 14 losses has removed all grace and margin for error when both of his seasons could have been 8-9 win seasons each.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Yep, year 3 will determine his fate I imagine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    He even said this himself.

12. r0r080

r0r080 Senior

Jul 31, 2019
    You didn't like it when I pointed out the deficiencies with Mullen's talent acquisition, because he was just lazy. so you're probably not going like what I'm about to say.

Napier's issues are product driven by what is seen on the field of play as well as lack of wins, and it impact equates to negative results with talent retention as well as talent acquisition. In the business world, Napier's end of the year evaluation after 2 1/2 years, would cause those with oversight authority to remove him! The Florida Gator product on the field is no better now, even with a better over-all scored composite talent base, than it was when he gave his 1st press conference as the Gator head coach.
    I believe the only reason his removal hasn't already happen, is based on the 2024 recruiting class prior to all the recent flips. He hangs on only because of Lagway, but what happens if Lagway isn't part of the 2024 class come Dec 20th or the class ranks somewhere between 10th -20th because we see even more flips?

If I had oversight authority, and I had folks in my ear telling me to retain Napier.....I do it conditionally on bringing in a coach of my choosing...whether it be as a OC or to work on a consultant basis....(not necessarily a on field coach), that I could slot into a head coaching role should it become obvious things aren't going to change on the field under Napier, by the 3rd or 4th game of the 2024 season. That person needs to be in place during the off-season......we cant wait until the end or almost the end of next season to make a move and Napier needs to know this is where he is at as well.........but bottom line for me Napier is way over his head and has no business coaching a P5 football team....Ive seen enough!

• Come On Man Come On Man x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    The problem is there is no urgency as we all have said. He had four portal guys in last weekend, and should have easily come away with two commits, especially with the receiver for Wisconsin, who was a lay up and Jules. Now they are all making visits to other schools. We’ve seen this unfold before in which he goes very carefully and gets one or two guys and waits until spring, which is too late. don’t understand. I just don’t understand the urgency

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Napier does it his way. Relax and read aloud...

God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Off-topic x 1
  15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm just surprised your not still running your elite team at the highest levels of college ball. Clearly they didn't know what they were losing when you weren't retained. Shame on them, but lucky us that we get all your infinite wisdom now.o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    He's visiting in person, giving out offers and recruiting his ass off right now. He's just trying to keep as much of it hush hush as possible. Just follow the 2 UF planes and you'll see every stop they make. It's been a busy week. He seeing everybody from the committed, those who are already on the team and our targets. He was Justin Wheeling, WV the other night to See jarrae Hawkins, and and has been all.up and down the east coast. You got to stop thinking because there isn't a internet article saying its happening that it isn't actually happening.... because it is.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    upload_2023-12-12_20-20-20.gif

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Buy out is a big factor in all this. I wouldn’t expect the big money guys to shell out anymore money than they already have at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    They paid for a 5 year rebuild. Now they're buying players.

• Like Like x 2
  20. sqgator

sqgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Just win, everyone will shut up. The proof is on the field.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1