Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mat Cloer named new associate head coach of Gator Men's Tennis

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by hocgators, May 29, 2022.

1. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mat Cloer's background and current association with the best players in the country as the lead head coach for the USTA under Player Development make him the perfect selection.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There you go guys, its now official so I can speak about Mat Cloer. He was on the FSU teams of the early 2000's that I helped coach against while I was on the coaching staff at UF. I know, I know, he is an FSU graduate but rest assured, Mat is one of the most likable guys you will ever meet! His background and access to the best junior players in America is invaluable. This hire is a Grand Slam! I have already talked to some current head coaches and they feel that Coach Shelton got the most qualified person available. Welcome Mat Cloer!

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Great resume, should fit in to the role perfectly. Looks like a guy that could be a future head coach as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The fact that a coach's undergraduate college might come calling is always in play. Our prior associate head coach played and coached at MSU, but he left there for what he knew was a better job with more potential to win both conference and national championships at the University of Florida. Mat Cloer sought the Florida job by approaching our coaches, who did their due diligence and knew Mat was the perfect fit for the position he sought. I am quite sure Mat Cloer has fond memories of his playing and coaching days at FSU, however he knew the Florida job was in the best interest of his family. A former gator men's tennis player kidded Mat on Facebook by telling him that at least he choose the right Florida school this time around! I hope to talk to Mat some time soon and ask him directly why he felt securing the associate head coaching job at the University of Florida was the best professional move he could make at this point in his career.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1