Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mass exodus at Colorado

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Ahab, Apr 25, 2023.

1. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    I think you undervalue the apathy and loss of key players a bit in this specific example, but I don't disagree on the whole. I'm also not making an argument that the Dion method is the optimal choice for a team that has coaching/program stability. Whether or not their are enough good players to essentially completely rebuild a team is going to have at least 1 case study available here in a couple months. Should revisit this in December.

2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This will blow up on Deion.
    And I won’t shed a tear about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    I think this is an outdate argument. Players fought for and got the ability to be compensated, all be it indirectly, for their hard work. They are not kids or armatures anymore, they are professional athletes. If a coach or GM thinks they can replace you with a better athlete, it's what they are going to do. It's not even new IMO to college football, similar practices have been used in recruiting for years. For instance, how is this not like a lower rated player on the board having an offer that they can't commit to unless the coaches don't get any of the recruits they think are better? Hey kid, we really like you and think you have a great future, buuuutttt, if Jim Bob wants in you will have to do that elsewhere.

I know you are not asking me but as far as the all 85 suck. By the only evidence we really have to go off of, finishing 1-11, the answer is that yes, they are worse than their peers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Crushing it is a bit extreme.
    He’s brought 26 kids so far. Of those only five have a composite rating over 90. And he’s losing two that had that, so he’s plus three. And 2 of those three are kids he brought from JSU. For reference, Mullen averages around 90 and our ‘24 class is averaging over 94 right now.

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2023-Football/TransferPortalTop/?institutionkey=24020

They will be better talent wise probably, but still not that great comparatively, he’s got a team full of kids with “transfer if you can’t be the man psychology”, minimal coaching experience, zero P5 experience, and an ego bigger than the mountains around the stadium.
    So yeah, maybe he succeeds, but he isn’t exactly a scary figure at this point.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    The fact Deion is an asshat is getting mixed up with the greater conversation. There was A LOT of posters on here using terms like "clean house," myself included. Now all of a sudden we are holier than thou when a coach goes to a 1-11 program and cleans house.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    true lol. We wanted house cleaned after this year for a team that was thisclose to winning 9 games last season so imagine what we’d be saying if we won 1

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. gatorwalrus

Sep 24, 2022
    Right? "They suck" would be the NICEST thing you would see people say about the team if UF went 1-11.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    LMFAO! Prime-time selling some powerful cool-aid in Colorado.

9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Seems like tampering at the every least.

10. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    His son (the QB) and Hunter are going to kill any chances they had in the draft by transferring to Colorado. They are going to get beat like they stole something.

Prime's other son was lucky to play at the 1AA school.

11. harleygator

harleygator Freshman

Jun 6, 2022
    Jacksonville
    Scenario 1 is a lot closer to what has happened than Scenario 2. Sanders met with the team the day after he was hired. Since then he and his staff have been evaluating the players through the off season conditioning program and spring practice. He never told all of them to transfer, he told them to jump in the portal if they didn’t like the changes he was making.
    Regarding last seasons team, I never said they all sucked. I said that they performed poorly. That is on them and the prior coaching staff. Some of that team graduated, some hit the portal before Sanders was even hired and some are still with the team today.

I never cared for Sanders as a player but as a coach he wants his players to give maximum effort, put the team before themselves and exhibit good character. Go on YouTube and you can find videos several videos of team meetings including the first one he had with them last year.

Also this narrative that he doesn’t bother to learn the players names is bunk. Saban does the same thing. See the link to an article below.
    Alabama stars reveal how Saban’s coaching style exonerates recent Deion Sanders actions

I get that you don’t like Sanders and I have no problem with that. But I am done going back and forth with on this topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I don’t think it’s so much that he’s doing it, it’s more how he’s going about it. At least meet the players first before judging them and then don’t be said asshat in telling them they aren’t in the plans and then withhold basic things to help them along the way. They’ve all put more into the program than he has to this point, just be decent at minimum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Idk, how many kids can you stomach being insulted and pushed out the door before even being given a legitimate chance. And its not like Deion is setting these kids free for a 2nd chance, it's more like he's killing their original opportunity tonplay at a p5 school by making them join the 3,000 plus players or so on the portal, and if the numbers are correct, less than half will find a new home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Well, we aren’t Colorado but the dude has no tact.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Why are you here then. Dion is a douchebag.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

FIFY

17. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Yeah Deion was just being brutally honest from the very beginning. I thought some people liked it when leaders are brutally honest and don't sugarcoat things and "tell it like it is", I guess it doesn't apply when Deion does it tho LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    The funny thing is that Deion has been very transparent about his plan from Day 1. He told people from the very beginning that he'd be getting rid of the dead weight, and that a lot of players simply wouldn't be able to cut it. I don't think anyone can offer a reasonable explanation as to why a new coach would want to keep a bunch of the weak link players from a 1-11 team he inherited, when they have a chance to replace them with better players.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Many college football coaches have the d-bag trait. Must be something about the profession.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You always take the high ground when it comes to discussing players. Funny to see you now defending Sanders for throwing dozens of players over the side without even giving them a fighting chance.

Funny but not surprising — as you typically pick your arguments on who you can argue against instead of the topic being discussed. Carry on pal :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3