Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Masks: Are There Benefits or Just a Comfort Prop? Let the Facts Speak

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, May 30, 2020.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If I was a Trump supporter, I would wear a mask over my whole face.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Does living with abandon or at the very least operating under a set of flawed premises?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Florida
    That’s not surprising. Your little protest, potentially at a risk to others? Very nice.

• Winner Winner x 5
  4. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I posted this in the other mask thread. They address the WHO's mask suggestion, noting contrary suggestion from previous research on pandemic influenza. If you care to increase your informed perspective, check it out: https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/369/bmj.m1435.full.pdf
    On the WHO . . .
    As for previous research suggesting that masks need not be worn . . .
    Conclusion . . .
    But yeah - don't bother with masks.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Not sure why it is so hard for people to get that.
    I have posted before, people using the terms “not living in fear” or “living life” in these situations are mostly talking about going to the Waffle House or maybe going to Walmart without a mask.

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Trump supporters should be wearing masks to help the economy get back on track faster. The longer they ignore science and let this virus drag out, the less chance he has of getting re-elected.
    So by all means, everyone just scrap the masks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    What is it with trump followers looking to be so aggrieved? Actually that’s a serious question.

they keep going on about face masks. Yes they help stop the spread, yes you’re being selfish not wearing one, and yes it’s “your right” not to wear one.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    This is the best news Ive heard all day!

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes, if there are Covid-19 people coughing in your face, the mask is not going to do you a whole lot of good. You need a half-face respirator with high-efficiency cartridges (HEPA, maybe activated carbon), plus goggles to protect your eyes (a full-face respirator would work even better, but is very uncomfortable for anything longer than an hour or so). If someone with Covid-19 is coughing in the aisle of the supermarket as you walk by, you will do a lot better with the mask than with nothing. Masks help with incidental, low-level exposures. There is a minimum level of coronavirus particles that needs to get into your respiratory system to cause an infection. It is a miniscule amount, but if distance has diluted the amount discharged from a cough, a sneeze, or just breathing, then a mask is often enough to protect you. Mask + social distancing = safety.

A nurse does not have the option to practice social distancing, so nurses should wear a cartridge respirator. Home Depot sells them for using power sanders, paint sprayers, and other dust-generating activities. They come in different sizes, so you could probably get "fit-tested" if you wanted (more likely, you would measure the distance from the top of your nose to your chin and decide which size you needed).

Saying that masks are "ineffective" is a grossly inaccurate statement. Wearing an orange vest while hunting is also "ineffective" at stopping a bullet that is hurtling toward you, but it is a practical measure for survival when hunting, and is a good safety practice.

If you want some "proof" of the effectiveness of masks, ask yourself which countries are doing the best at containing Covid-19? Taiwan is doing very well, as is South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore (except for the immigrants who do construction work in Singapore and are housed in sardine-like conditions). And all of these countries have at least one city with many millions of people (Taipei, Seoul, Tokyo, etc.), making it even harder to contain the virus (see New York about how difficult it is). What do these countries have in common? Excellent education (they understand the risks and consequences of a pandemic virus), and they have a culture of wearing masks when there are viruses out and about. How does the U.S. compare? Let's see: sub-standard education level; a difficulty appreciating a threat that can't be easily seen with the eyes; a juvenile rebellious streak toward authority; an inability to learn from other countries, because "we're the best" by definition; and no culture of wearing protective masks. Hmmm. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Everyone from about 30 years old and younger are not wearing masks. I see them all over town. White, brown, black, female, male, long haired, short haired, hippies, professionals, and some older people.

You can talk about Masks and Trump until you’re blue in the face.

Bottom line is it’s many people not wearing them. Shoot. I went to Home Depot yesterday and the employees weren’t wearing them, except for a few. I got the looks because I was one of the few customers wearing one.

11. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Good luck when school resumes and the UF students return from all over the country.

12. NavyGator93

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Plenty of younger people are wearing masks, I imagine it depends on many factors if they wear them or not. Cases are rising in Georgia and my county, I see plenty wearing them.
    My comments wasn’t really judging whether or not trumpsters are wearing them although they are less likely to wear them. My thought was that if people really supported him they should be doing everything they can do get the economy back on track.

13. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    It's a good way for them to play mental gymnastics and feel they are being stronger and more courageous instead of wreckless and inconsiderate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    agree. I really noticed it about a week+ ago folks stopped wearing them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Some people are so insecure (or so selfish) they have to turn this into a macho thing.

And they’d likely be the first ones to abandon you in a bunker.

Me first.

It’s uncomfortable.

I’m gonna go hang out with other AMERICANS!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 Premium Member

Oct 11, 2011
    Trash thread from a likely source for trash threads.

• Winner Winner x 3
  17. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    We are now quoting Psycho Therapists for our medical advice. Excellent.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I wear my mask because they decrease the likelihood that I unknowingly infect somebody else if I have it. It's about courtesy and caring about your neighbors.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. oaklandroadie2

oaklandroadie2 Freshman

Nov 14, 2017
    And there it is...wearing a mask is a sign of moral superiority. You, gator_lawyer, are a hero.

• Come On Man x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1