Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Masks: Are There Benefits or Just a Comfort Prop? Let the Facts Speak

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, May 30, 2020.

1. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    https://www.healingwithouthurting.c...cQiyX_dtOdN7j_qVJc-o4QDlNc48r9vp4pk0TWjy2bMF8

[​IMG]

Masks are Ineffective and Risky, So Stop Calling Us Selfish
    In Epidemics 2017, a meta-analysis concluded that masks had a non-significant protective effect. In the Annuals of Internal Medicine, April 2020, “neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS-CoV-2 during coughs by affected people.”

According to a University of New South Wales, the widespread use of masks by healthcare workers may put them at increased risk of respiratory illness and viral infections, and their global use should be discouraged.

In the British Medical Journal 2015, “Over three times, the risk of contracting influenza-like illness if a cloth mask is used versus no mask at all.” Contaminated masks and masks holding moisture and pathogen retention can increase the risk of infection.

A 2016 study in the Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology found 97% of particles penetrated cloth masks, and 44% of particles penetrated medical masks. They reported that cloth masks are only marginally beneficial in protecting individuals from particles less than 2.5 micrometers. As referenced in the New England Journal of Medicine, the size of Coronavirus particles varied between 0.06 micrometers and 0.14 micrometers.

Cloth and surgical masks do not have a fit test. When worn, gaps around the edges allow small particles to enter the respiratory system. Also, according to the May 2010 edition of PLoS One, lack of eye protection was a primary risk factor of SARS-CoV transmission

This is a pretty good article, looks like i'll be ditching my mask

• Come On Man Come On Man x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsnano.0c03252

Here’s How Wearing a Cloth Mask Helps Fight the Spread of Coronavirus – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic

If you actually click on many of the links, you would find that they were presented in a misleading fashion. For example, one of those papers was looking at the usage of masks for protecting against particulate pollution, not for controlling infectious diseases, one was looking at healthcare workers utilizing a single cloth mask for an entire day without washing it, etc.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. slayerxing

slayerxing GC Hall of Fame

Aug 14, 2007
    Just wear a dang mask my god. The whining is unreal.

• Winner x 13
    • Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    AGAIN - It is NOT to protect you....it ....is...to....protect....others. The truth is, this article by a psychotherapist, speaks to what you want to hear. Go for it.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's asking a lot.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    The one thing I’ve notice consistent in all anti-mask studies, they actually use verbiage confirming they reduce the risk. They use terms like “marginally” or “slightly” but THEY STILL REDUCE THE RISK. If the risk is reduced by any amount, THEY STILL REDUCE THE RISK. I’ve yet to see an anti-mask study that makes me feel like I shouldn’t wear a mask.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Do people even read what they post? Here’s the conclusion from the Epidemics 2017 study linked by the OP (bold added by me):

“5. Conclusion

This review constitutes a contribution to pandemic influenza research, presenting the first systematic review and meta-analysis to quantify the effectiveness of PPMs in preventing pandemic influenza transmission. While data were not available on the effectiveness of respiratory etiquette, hand hygiene was found to be significantly effective in preventing infection. Facemask use demonstrated mixed results, but a randomized control trial suggests that it is effective. Future studies are needed to evaluate the relative impact of different routes of influenza transmission, and how this may shift between seasonal and pandemic settings. Despite persisting knowledge gaps in relative effectiveness between interventions and across population groups, results suggest that campaigns to increase the frequency of hand hygiene, alongside use of facemasks in situations with a high risk of exposure, are likely to contribute to preventing pandemic influenza infection.“

The cited 2020 study appears to have only been taken from 4 subjects, certainly not anything I’d be willing to risk my family or friends health on.

But if you’re looking for a reason to take your mask off, these studies are like numbers, you can always find a Machiavellian kernel so that the ends justify the means.

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Hmmm. Another thread not trending well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I quit wearing mine mostly and have no intention of changing

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    If the source was actually someone with a medical or scientific background the article may be credible. Jennifer Kozek has neither.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And if you should contract the SARS Cov2 virus I would have serious concern for anyone who may be in close physical proximity to you especially in an indoor environment, less so outdoors.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    No time to actually click on links he is citing, the faux outrage needs to be constantly fed.
    On to the next injustice!!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Perhaps that's not much of an issue.....

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  17. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I'm definitely not being locked up in my house living in fear like you and others. I've been out with other fellow Americans and most haven't been wearing mask either and yet we're still alive. Gainesville is not enforcing the mask rule and most businesses aren't either .

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. coleg

coleg All American

Sep 5, 2011
    So after posting info that is highly questionable in veracity at best, and garbage at worst, your well thought response is "Imma do it anyway... hold my beer"? Count me as not convinced.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  19. fda92045

fda92045 GC Legend

Feb 19, 2012
    living in fear does not equal being considerate of other people during a pandemic.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1