Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mark Pitts PWO commit

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by shane4three, Dec 9, 2019.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Via his twitter OL Mark Pitts tweeted that he’s going to be a gator after decommitting from UCF the other day. My thought is the staff offered him a PWO spot and that he has been waiting for that opportunity for awhile. He attends Bucholz so not far from UF at all. Very good pickup here imo, can’t have enough 6’6 300 lb tackles in the sec & his offer list is certainly not one to scoff at. 6-7 power 5 offers and overall 10-12 good offers from solid D1 programs.

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    welcome aboard.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Interesting news. This kid is giving up a for sure scholarship to be a walk-on with the Gators... That's the kind of kid that will do whatever he's asked to do... love that type of loyalty and commitment in a football player.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Easier commute to UF than to the commuter school in Orlando.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Better place for him in every aspect...

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I used to live in the UCF area. It's on the far-east-end, non-urban area of Orlando. The students, for the most part, all live within 10 minutes of campus. It feels smaller and less metro than Gainesville. UCF has small-town vibes, but without feeling quaint and "local". It's the Gainesville-lite college. The city/state reserved a lot of real estate to attract tech businesses, and research parkway is the biggest landmark there. While there are three tiny shopping locales that service the college, none match what Gainesville has for its students. It's like the Archer road area reduced by 80%. A lot of the "college atmosphere" is contained within a tiny strip right next to the college.

If you drive 5-minutes east of campus, you're in heavy brush and palmetto country until you hit the coast.

It's a fairly new university with modern buildings and nice expanses. Whoever got the idea that UCF is like USF is mistaken. I hate their students, their fans and their claims of having a football powerhouse and an elite university, but it's not a gimmick school like South Florida is.

7. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    It feels smaller and less metro than Gainesville. UCF hassmall-town vibes, but without feeling quaint and "local".

Sorry, but I stopped reading right there. I lived in East Orlando for over 10 years. This is not the case at all. UCF is a commuter campus through and through and in no way resembles Gainesville or any college town.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe he blossoms and able to play a dozen high quality snaps.

9. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Interesting take. What makes USF a gimmick school?

10. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Excellent viewpoint!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    yeah, i don't get that either.

12. ruralgator18

ruralgator18 All American

Apr 21, 2007
    This is also the kind of kid you start getting when the program is headed in the right direction. If he thinks we're going 8-4 the next few years he's going to go to a school where he'll have a better shot at playing time. He's coming here because he has a shot at a ring at his dream school.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    This kid is impressive. Met him tonight. Looks like a player. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he cracks the two-deep some day. He's huge.

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I don't get the USF reference either. The St Petersburg campus is beautiful and has a great vibe.

Oh, Welcome Mark Pitts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    You must have lived there a long time ago. I worked in that Research Park right next to UCF for 35 years. Alafaya Trail in front of the college was a 2-lane road, and there was only a Pizza Hut and a Subway within miles of the school when I started there. Today, the school has more than tripled in size, Alafaya is a parking lot of a six-lane road, and there are thousands of apartments built out around the school. It is true that if you drive toward Bithlo, Christmas and the coast, there is still some palmetto scrub land near the St. Johns River once you get past the auto junkyards. But, in no way is the UCF area a small-town Gainesville-like atmosphere today. But, you are right, the school is nice and new and the football fans are in their own little world.

Oh, yeah, I also say welcome to Mark Pitts!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Is the Knight Out pub still across from the main campus entrance?

• Like Like x 1
  17. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Yeah, that was in the small space between the Subway and the Pizza Hut. There is something else there now that has bands and an outdoor deck that seems to be wildly popular at times. I think it's just called the Knight's Pub now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  18. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

My roommate at UF use to work right there as a turbine engineer designer for Siemens Westinghouse... He took me to that knight bar to kick some back and shoot a little pool... Back then it was pretty much a little hole in the wall bar and really liked it because of that..

19. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Yeah, I think I saw a guy there that day that looks just like Matthew McConaughey. :) Lines go out the door all the way to University Avenue now. I think they card you at the door and don't let you in if you are over 22. Check it out online. Things have changed.

20. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator GC Hall of Fame

This would have been around 2002 when I was there visiting.