Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Marcus Stokes update

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ces1948, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, and try not to resurrect "vanilla ice" on ticktock. That's so... 1990's

• Like Like x 1
  2. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    What do you believe is a fair consequence?

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The hbcu keeping him would have been some poetic justice. Seems either teammates or admins or both had a problem with him though.

4. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Not being blackballed from every major and most every other college/ university football program in our country. Is that your idea of a fair consequence? Are you able to truthfully say you have never done anything as bad as what this teenager did when you were at his station in life?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    He got “blackballed” because he’s not good.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That too but he’s probably better than UWF material. The last team had to take back their offer and it wasn’t because he didn’t have the talent to play in that league.

7. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I think you are probably right swampbabe, but that doesn’t justify discarding this young man on the pretext that he committed an unforgivable transgression. It’s Bull….! We did offer him a scholarship and if the real reason we dropped him was “he isn’t good”, that doesn’t speak well for us.
    I think BN was put in a bad position in this case but, I’m trying hard to believe he didn’t try and save Stoke’s offer because you choose your battles at this stage in his career and this battle was not in the best interest of our program. Either way it ended, had he chose to fight it, would have not been good for us. A no-win at best, a horrible loss at worst.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  8. tigator2019

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

I am asking you what is in your opinion what is a fair consequence

BTW i’m not white. I’ve dealt with racism on campus at UF directed at me. More than once- cost me a leadership position. It was humiliating. life impacting. Remember it like it was yesterday.

I am willing to bet stokes has used that word a lot. I coach HS sports and kids endure some horrible taunts and words from parents and kids alike. I will take a WAG that CBN asked the team captains about their thoughts on it too.

I can tell you if a white senior kid sang that word in our locker room at least a half dozen kids would be pretty angry, while others might not care that much. How would you handle that locker room??

I’m looking forward to your response at what if any consequence was fair FOR UF. Remember now he was simply offered a slot

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  9. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    To be totally honest with you tigator, I’m not sure what would be a fair consequence in this case. But I do think it could have been more measured and less severe. Sorry, that’s the best I can offer.
    I admire you for enduring and overcoming the racial discrimination you encountered and probably still encounter. As a 5th generation Southerner I understand your struggle and frustration. It is only in my old age that I fully appreciate the magnitude of racial discrimination.
    With that in mind, you would likely be a better suited arbitrator than I to suggest a fair punishment for Marcus Stokes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You’re the coach and you know your lockeroom better than anyone else. If your kids are ok with how you handled it coach, then you know you handled it right and to hell with everyone on the outside. I think that would be a different decision in many different teams. The hbcu coach thought it was a good idea but it didn’t sit with either admins or players.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Punt

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Woodruff used to punt on 3rd down.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. tigator2019

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    2oldgator, kind words from you. I appreciate that a lot

As a father and a coach, I hate that this happened to him. Probably just being a dumb high school kid.

We talk about how social media can ruin you before you even turn 18. One kid shared some images of female student, and it may haunt him for a long long time.

We talk about it daily at almost every practice. I'm betting the same goes on at Nease.

Penn State didn't re offer either ... and other schools passed so it's not just UF

• Like Like x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Wasn’t there a tv movie maybe with a bad actor but famous female now playing a white quarterback at grambling?

15. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    Thank you tigator2019. You sound like you have principles and character. Your school and the young men and women in your charge are fortunate. We desperately need that in this day and age.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I'm impressed that this thread hasn't been sent to too hot yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We’ve kept it pretty much on the up & up actually

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    More civility over here. It would take less than 10 post for this thread to be driven into a ditch, over there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Imagine an entire board full of clowns like the few who come over to disrupt this board from time to time.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Seems like the consequence was less about what he said and more about he’s become a much weaker prospect