Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

March Madness 2021 Looks to Take Place in a Bubble

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by gatordavisl, Nov 17, 2020.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Would be awesome I think. Can they get 64/68 teams there? What if they did 32?

I'd love to get there if they do it. Anyone else thinking about trying to go?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I like this idea but, call me a pessimist, I wonder if delaying the season and the tournament back till May might make sense if things keep getting worse. The current rule requiring an entire team to sit for two weeks if anyone on that team/staff/trainers has a positive test result is going to make playing games, consistently, pretty difficult.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe call it August Madness. Can I trademark that?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I'd think Indy could handle that many teams, especially if attendance is severely limited.

6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I am thinking Vegas. They have a huge amount of hotel rooms that are currently empty and an arena where you can play hoops.

Disney in Orlando worked for the NBA. Maybe there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If they keep 64 teams and a similar schedule, then you've got 16 games on days one and two. I think that would call for at least four different arenas. I guess Vegas might have that many venues, but dedicated arenas? Fan attendance will most likely be limited too, so less need for those accommodations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 31g8r

31g8r All American

Oct 20, 2013
    Odds are they wouldn’t have anybody in attendance except for tv cameras. NCAA can’t forego another year without the TV revenue from march madness. Any contribution from tix sales will pale to the TV revenue and not worth the extra risk of virus spread and resulting cancelation.

2021 MM isnt about the fans at all unless their name is Benjamin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    [​IMG]
    I'm not particularly wanting the biggest amateurs sports tournament in the world to be held in a city known for gambling, sports betting, and mob connections.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Orlando would definitely be the best spot. They have more than enough gyms and hotel space to accommodate all of the teams. I can't imagine Indianapolis being able to host 64 teams, host all of those games, and provide safe practice space for the teams as well while limiting everyone's interaction with non-basketball personnel.

11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Yes in a warm weather state. By the time the tournament comes around, most people will have been vaccinated or have gotten over and have natural immunity. Why not let these people see the tournament live!

12. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Ha, make it happen! Probably too Gonzo for the NCAA though. We have been going every year for 10 years just to watch the games on the big screens and it's a great vibe the 1st weekend, add live games and It would be absolutely nuts. I'll be there if I can get the Vax by tourney time.

Of course, if the vax comes in large enough amounts by tourney time, whenever that is, I expect business as usual.

13. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I don't know about Indianapolis having 4 venues but I can think of Orlando using the Amway Center, Disney Wide World of Sports, the UCF Addition Arena, and maybe the Lakeland Civic Center. Lakeland might not be the best and its old but its a close drive from Disney. Without fans all they need is a regulation sized floor for their tournament court and plenty of camera zones.
    One problem no matter which city they move to. By only using 4 locations they can't keep each region playing at the same location. That is, one team will end up playing at the same location for the whole tourney unless they move teams each round to the other three locations. Even without fans, let's say Kentucky and Duke get to play in the Amway Arena for each round leading up to the final four but Florida gets stuck playing the first four rounds at the UCF Arena if they win their region. That's great if Florida or any other team makes the Final Four but a disadvantage for Florida if another team like Duke has been playing at Final Four spot.

14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Add the O'Connell Center to the venues. It's only 2 hours from Orlando. Also, Rollins College and Stetson University.

15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was thinking they would go to Tampa for the Amalie Arena and the USF Sundome before they came to Gainesville. I'm not sure if Rollins or Stetson is any bigger than Lakeland. I get they will not allow the fans so size doesn't matter. But they don't want it to look like a high school gym either.

16. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    August Anarchy

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 All American

May 9, 2015
    Matherly;

I remember reading an article that "if" Indianapolis was chosen, they would use Lucas Oil Field, Butler's home court and the campus of IUPUI basketball facility of three of the sites. I am pretty sure they named a fourth, but damn if I can remember it. Getting old SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was thinking Hinkle Fieldhouse would have to be on the list. It won't be the same without a packed house and all the crowd cheering for Jimmy Chitwood to hit that last shot.
    upload_2020-11-25_12-32-27.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1