Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

March 8, 1971 ...50 years ago plus 1 day

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by shelbygt350, Mar 9, 2021.

1. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Joe Frazier won a 15 round decision over Ali. Both were undefeated. Joe knocked Ali down. I watched the fight on the giant closed circuit tv screen. Ticket cost was $20.

I have the Look magazine with it on the cover and all the photos inside taken by none other than Frank Sinatra.

• Like Like x 5
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I loved Smokin Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    At the start of the Pandemic, I watched all 3 fights back-to-back. It was really awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Epic boxing match. I really miss the golden days of boxing. Not a fan of cage fighting.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I still have the Sports Illustration edition that covered that fight, in fact, I believe I have the SI copies from all three of their fights.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. miloappis

miloappis Sophomore

Mar 19, 2018
    I remember that was the fight that Ali said if he lost he going to crawl across the ring and tell Frazier that he was the greatest.
    Ali lost and of course he never did that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Hard to watch him go down...painful. So many great bouts. I remember when he lit the torch for the Olympics- I think I cried.
    Talk about Goat...

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. stp_gator

stp_gator Senior

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    I had tears streaming down my face when Ali lit the Atlanta torch. My wife is from Brazil and did not understand why I was so emotional at that moment. I told her that guy was the baddest man on the planet when I was a little kid and to see him shaking from Parkinson’s was just heartbreaking. That was the first time I saw a childhood hero struggling against an illness that was more powerful than himself. I still get the chills thinking about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Never knocked out.
    Went to the canvas 4 times...two he slipped. Two knock downs were to left hooks. Got up very quickly from all four.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cudagator

cudagator Sophomore

Feb 22, 2017
    Ali appeared at Florida Field prior to the Frazier fight. He spoke from a small stage in front of where the Gator bench normally would be. The crowd was sitting down in front of the press box.

He had a scripted show that included dancing and doing the shuffle. He played to both audiences whether those that loved him and those that didn’t. At that time, there were still a lot “haters”. In the latter part of his show, he mentioned that Joe had no chance because human reaction time to block a punch was (.0X) and his jab from shoulder to chin was (.00X). Therefore Joe had no chance. (Please excuse the lack of actual numbers here as this is a 51 year old remembrance).

At the finale he went into a blur of shadow boxing and screaming, “I’m gonna whup Joe Frayzuh!!!. The audience was almost totally transformed to Ali fans.

I did get to see the fight in Daytona on closed circuit for $25. I also remember a couple of sites had problems with their feed and were unable to show the fight and there were riots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. cudagator

cudagator Sophomore

Feb 22, 2017
    Almost forgot “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee”

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. shelbygt350

Apr 3, 2007
    The "float like..." was, I think, from Drew Bundini one of his assistants.

Years after both retired, I read an interview where they happened to be in same city at same time and one (I cant remember which) saw the other walking down the street, stopped, offered a ride and they took off together in a car. That conversation must have been classic stuff. Well, maybe not, it could have been about shoes or food.

Heavyweight boxing from 1960-80 had the likes of Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Liston, Patterson, Johansson, Norton, Holmes, Spinks, Jerry Quarry, Cleveland Williams, Jimmy Young, Ernie Shavers....some really really good fighters and boxers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Not a heavyweight, but I was a huge Marvelous Marvin Hagler fan. He was robbed in that fight against Leonard.

Unpopular opinion here, but I admit to having never been a fan of Ali. To this day, I reject taunting and chest-beating from anybody, and Ali pretty much invented it. He backed it up for sure, but I was never a fan.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. shelbygt350

Apr 3, 2007
    Skink- I get your point. I was a big Joe Frazier fan. As well as Tommy Hearns who I met in Nawlins before his fight with Wilfredo Benitez. Loved Hagler, except when he fought John The Beast Mugabi and Sugar Ray. The middle weight field was crowded.

As a child when my parents went out, they would leave me on Fri nite with my grandparents. I'd stay up and watch the Gillette Friday nite fights on tv, in B&W, with some big names. Fights were from MSG in New York with the voice of Don Dunphy. Tommie Hurricane Jackson. Gene Fullmer. Carmen Basilio. Sugar Ray Robinson (pound for pound THE GOAT....better than Ali or others), etc.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I remember the Gillette Friday Nite Fights too! What a throwback. Used to also watch a lot of boxing on closed circuit TV. Saw “ The Thrilla” and pulled like hell for Frazier but it wasn’t to be.

I liked Hearns but was awestruck by how Hagler destroyed him in 3. An appearance on Carson later and the dude was total class. Sharp. I liked Leonard in the olympics for sure but wasn’t a fan of all the flurries of little jabs that did no damage but score points. No way Leonard took Hagler’s belt that night, but Hagler kept stalking him trying to land that big one and never did while Leonard retreated the whole night. I think the judges wanted to set up a rematch but Hagler said screw it after getting robbed and the rematch never happened.

As for Ali, hated that damn rope a dope, but everybody else seemed to love it. Can’t help but think all the punches he absorbed with that silly tactic played a role in how he ended up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  17. shelbygt350

Apr 3, 2007
    In that massive brawl of Hearns-Hagler. Hearns in pre fight got a leg massage by some guy in his crowd. That ruined his legs and he lost early. Yeah, Hagler was a great fighter and loved the way he fought. He went and retired in Italy.

Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran was one I enjoyed. Seeing Duran get killed was a surprise, but then he was fighting in a weight he should not have gone up to.

There was a documentary about 5-7 yr ago about the Sugar Ray-Duran No Mas fight. Duran in Panama told of being way over weight and having to lose lots of weight before the weigh in, then reaching it, then going and eating too much pre fight which made him sick. Sugar Ray kept wanting to know why he quit.

So in the show, Leonard flies to Panama and meets with Duran, two guys who had hated each other and they discussed the fight, the rivalry, and then ended in peace. Much like Frazier/Ali....respect.

Ali was "awarded" decisions he did not really win. Kenny Norton clearly beat him the first time. Then was hosed in 2 decisions. Norton had a "style" that was tough on Ali and, in my mind, went 3-0 vs Ali. But Norton's boxing style was an early KO vs the likes of a Foreman.

I used to go watch John The Beast Mugabi fight live very often. He looked like the next middle wt champ until he met Hagler. Oh well.

I also went and saw live Joe King Roman fight many times. He then went up for the title and got killed by Foreman in Japan. Roman ended up with a small food truck going to construction sites. Then he worked in a Sweet Bay supermarket in the product dept. I dont know where he is now. Seemed like a nice guy but had way too many heavy weight fights and too many losses and KOs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    When ESPN put the trilogy on I made 17 year old watch with me. I told him that this is what heavyweight boxing used to be.
    When Joe nailed Ali in 15th round of the first fight he said “Whoa, I’ve never seen anyone get hit that hard”.

• Like Like x 3
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Saw Hearns vs. Leonard on CC in O’ Dome. It was a classic fight and Hearns had him beat on points going into the 14th and Leonard just went off on him knowing he had to get a KO

• Like Like x 1
  20. shelbygt350

Apr 3, 2007
    Tommy "Hit Man" Hearns aka The Motor City Cobra. He was one scary looking dude. Met him in New Orleans on the street and we talked for a few minutes. He was very polite and polished. Was looking forward to an upcoming fight with Wilfredo Benitez, who he did beat.

• Like Like x 3