Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Many Favorite Recipes

Discussion in 'Swamp Cook Shack' started by g8orbill, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Efawcett7

Efawcett7 Eric Fawcett VIP Member GC Columnist

Oct 7, 2014
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Hey everyone!

And especially @WhattaGator for these purposes I suppose haha.

I got some beautiful meat from one of the best ranches in my province of Alberta (and we produce some spectacular beef!)

A rump roast had been sitting in my freezer for a while and I defrosted it with the idea of cooking it tonight.

I was thinking I'd do something fairly basic (sear, roast with garlic, salt and pepper, onion, some thyme) but then I thought I should throw it out to the board to see if anyone has any spectacular ideas for how I should treat this gorgeous piece of meat!

Unfortunately I do not have a smoker, as I feel like a suggestion of that may have come. I do have a smoking gun if I wanted to impart some quick and easy smoke at the end, but I'm probably limited to an oven roast here, but if anyone has any nice ideas let me know!

2. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

You didn't say how big your roast is...

If you're thinking of cooking it tonight, then a marinade is out of the question.... unless you want to get on it quickly.

For a marinade, use:

1 Cup Burgundy or Merlot wine
    1 Tbsp Granulated Garlic
    1 Tsp Onion Powder
    1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
    1 Tbsp Black Pepper

Directions:

Mix ingredients together and place roast into a Ziploc bag (if it will fit) and pour mixture over it, remove as much air as possible and seal. Refrigerate.

Remove from fridge 1 hour before roasting.

Then.....

INGREDIENTS:

4Cloves Garlic, minced
    4 Tbsps.Olive Oil
    4 Tsps. Kosher Salt
    2 Tsps. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
    2 Tsps. Dried Thyme
    2 Tsps. Dried Sage
    1 Tsp. Dried Parsley

INSTRUCTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
    Whisk all ingredients together and rub all over the Roast
    Place Roast on a tray in a roasting pan
    Roast for 1 1/2-2 hours
    Check internal temperature... remember that roast will add another 10 degrees after removed from the oven
    For Med. Rare, remove roast at 135 degrees, for medium, remove at 145 degrees

Let roast rest for at least 12-15 minutes or more before slicing

3. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Oops! youdidn't tell me hiw big the roast is, but there's a recipe above.

4. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for the recipe! I appreciate the internal temperature note. I would hate to overcook it so I'm going to remove at 135.

And the roast in maybe 4 pounds? potentially even bigger. It wasn't labeled but I'm guessing based on rump roasts I've made in the past and this one is bigger than any I've cooked

5. WhattaGator

In that case, it MIGHT require another half hour. ..

Just check the internal temperature .

6. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Appreciate it! I got in the marinade and will do it for about 4 hours before pulling from the fridge (in the mountain standard time zone) so it will have a bit of time to absorb those beautiful winey flavours

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. WhattaGator

How did your roast turn out for ya'?

8. Efawcett7

Oct 7, 2014
    Turned out well! I checked at one point and it was at 120 degrees and my next check it was at 140 so I overcooked it JUST a hair but it was still quite pink throughout. I made a nice pan sauce with the drippings that made up for the fact that I could only marinate it for a few hours. Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    My fiancée usually food preps lunch for the week and its a full day of cooking and cleaning. I told her I would take care of it so she can have a free day today.

Here is what I made (we try to keep keto at home)
    Alice Springs Chicken
    [​IMG]

Pork crust Pizza
    [​IMG]

Tonight for dinner I made rack of lamb (first time)
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow night I am going to make whole Snapper for the first time. Will post if it comes out good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WhattaGator

Nice try on your first rack of lamb, Art...

Try taking them out about 2 minutes sooner and let it rest to get the nice medium rare you want from such a great meat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I'm a big fan of the slow cooker for that kind of meat or any meat for that matter. Also, I like run instead of marinade, but that's a personal preference. There are some pretty good marinades you can make easily.

12. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    It's a week of firsts!

Whole Lobster and Whole Yellowtail Snapper

Both really easy to make. Old Bay for the Lobster and oil/lemon/onion/salt/olives for Snapper.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. WhattaGator

While posting picture are fine...

We're looking for recipes....
    Tell everyone HOW you make your dishes... cooking methods, temps, times...
    Ingredients are important, in case someone else wants to make them.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  14. ArtVandelay

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I don't really follow recipes much. I kind of wing it. That is why I posted in Cook Shack. Someone else moved it here.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. WhattaGator

I moved it here....
    I was hoping that you would provide recipes,if even basic ones, ( what kind of ingredients went on your Alice Springs Chicken, how long did you cook it and at what temperature,etc.)
    Without that, all we have is huge, oversized and unedited and unrefined pictures,that really do nothing but leave people wondering.

Again, thanks for your understanding

• Like Like x 1
  16. goneagaingator

goneagaingator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    i am not a pasta guy. But i’ve been messing around with some of Baby Girl’s recipes over at the Chunky Chef, and came across this gem.

One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta - The Chunky Chef

Girl can straight cook her ass off.

I go heavy with the mozzarella, and put in layers of salt, pepper and Italion seasoning. Add some crushed red pepper and crushed up tortilla chips to take it to another level.

(My buddy put a dash of ranch in it.)

17. WhattaGator

You most derfinitely want to revisit the "Cook Shack"...
    It's now a lot more than th one threaed it used to be....
    All sorts of cooking methods, categorized, more orgtanized, a LOT more varied...even down to food safety/handlig/sanitation... Tailgating recipes, and even an "Ask the Chef" thread for special requests, questions, etc..

Share your own ideas and recipes.. tried something that didn't quite work out?? ask the Chef.
    Check it out and let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 1