Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mann vs. USU

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by yankgator, Dec 22, 2019.

1. yankgator

yankgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't see the game. I see in the box score Mann played very few minutes and had three fouls. Were fouls the cause of his reduced tie? How do you keep a five star on the bench--was he/is he that overrated?

2. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    He had a beautifull floater that went in but he was called for a questionable charge. He took a bad shot and missed on one end then came down and fouled on the other. I didn't see the last one. But he played as bad as everyone else not named Scottie or Kerry.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I can't write what I really want to write here, but will simply suggest that the coach has impacted these kids' ability to play and get on the court.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    He had a bad sequence and was never seen again. In addition to a very slow pace of play, another Mike White staple has become a shrinking bench where very few guys get significant minutes. He only trusts a few guys and those are the only ones allowed to play through mistakes and/or poor play. Unfortunately, those guys aren't always his most talented players.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    One thing I think we all agree on is White needs to play the bench more, trust his guys more, and stop having such a short leash especially with Tre. It just seems that's not in his nature though. Seems everyone but White could see we were going to get gassed late yesterday and wilt down the stretch from chasing USU's O around. And guess what that's exactly what happened. White just seems to coach so tight

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    His over-coaching/ micromanaging/ uptight style will be his undoing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Very very possible. And to be honest lots of high level coaches in many sports struggle with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    One can only hope.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    I'm not sure we really want that. I'm as frustrated as anyone with White and certainly not sure he gets us where we need to be, but also not sure we can do better. It's a giant catch 22

10. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    There isn’t a doubt in my mind that we could find a better coach. White doesn’t exactly set a high bar to beat.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    He got yanked after a very poor pass/lob attempt that was stolen.

I’ve said it elsewhere... Tre needs waaaay more minutes and white must allow him to play thru mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. toddrl

toddrl GC Hall of Fame

Jan 22, 2019
    Agree X 10000000000

13. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Coach White appears to panic a bit, especially at this point in a season with high expectations and minimal results. His use of the bench makes it apparent who he thinks needs to be on the floor, and if game flow is not going well he leaves gassed starters on the floor rather than substituting. Nembhard and Glover should share minutes at the point, while Mann and Locke should do the same at the two spot. Keyontae Johnson and Dontae Bassett should split minutes at the four, while Blackshear and Payne do the same in the post. I am not saying they should share equal minutes but they sure as hell should be more balanced than our current substitution protocol. The only position that there does not appear to be a legitimate sub for is the three slot where Scottie Lewis resides. I have been in attendance at every home game over the past two years. The most apparent thing to me over this period of time is the lack of size and height at the two, three and four spots. Does this influence our ability to get anything but a late clock three point shot attempt? I have no idea, but it sure appears size differentials at three of the five offensive positions have something to do with our inability to sustain any consistency on offense or in the offensive rebounding category.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. BTEGator

BTEGator GC Hall of Fame

May 24, 2007
    I don't understand the substitutions either. I think Bassett should be in there equally with Payne although I understand we are trying to develop Payne. Kerry is completely exhausted because of the non substitutions.

Ditto on Tre and Noah. Tre needs to play!

Last but not least, the pace of play/half court offense is pathetic. The slowdown pace lets the defense get organized... it's not working! I just don't understand what he's doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. tundragator

tundragator GC Legend

Oct 26, 2015
    Truth be told, on the sidelines Mike doesn’t look like he knows what he is doing either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I also think he bit off more than they can handle with the schedule. Very difficult schedule and should have had a few more cream puffs especially early for the young team to gel together. Now everyone is pissed off and pointing fingers and the team may never come together to figure it out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. hocgators

hocgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that this preconference schedule does not fit the young personel Coach White is trying to bring along. With a young team I always felt as a coach I wanted them to gain confidence early in the season before diving into conference play. But this is what you get with a young coach who is learning as he goes. I still think Coach White will be here a long time but in the mean time these types of seasons will have to be endured.

• Friendly Friendly x 1