Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Manafort: what we have here is a failure to redact-- and collusion.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by duchen, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Given that the Russian company would need permission to export the ore it's not going to adversely affect US national security at all. Maybe the Russian company would profit by processing the uranium and selling it to US utilities with nuclear power plants or to research facilities, but if there's even a remote possibility that export of either the unprocessed ore or the enriched product could adversely affect US national security it's not going anywhere, the one possible exception could be if Vladimir makes a personal request to his friend Donald.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Let's not forget

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fredsanford

fredsanford Premium Member

Dec 1, 2008
    I find this a terrible attempt at goalpost movement.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Also, let's not forget who is an expert with polling data, none other than professional pollster Kellyanne Conway, who just happened to work for mega donor Robert Mercer who just happened to own targeting company Cambridge Analytica. I'm sure there's nothing more to that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I guess the downside to all this is that it shows, even while being offers deals, a cooperating to some extent, Trump's allies are still doing everything they can to protect him. Both Manafort and Cohen seem to have "forgotten" to meantion some pretty key aspects of Russian collusion.

I think the word is out that Trump will pardon everyone who goes down for him, if he survives this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. fredsanford

Dec 1, 2008
    They both have families on the outside. Neither wants their wife or children to take a mysterious stumble off of a high rise balcony as so many Russians have done the last 3 years.

Also, pleading guilty to bank fraud is slightly different when it comes to punishment to potentially treasonous offenses.

7. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    The upside is he got caught doing it, which means the truth is still getting to Mueller. Nobody wants to go to jail, and nobody knows what the other guys Mueller is talking to are going to reveal, so someone plays it safe and tells Mueller the truth. Honestly, seems like a winning situation to me. Mueller gets the information he's after, Manafort still gets caught for lying. It won't make me sad to see Manafort go to prison.

8. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The simple answer to your attempt to hijack the thread is that the Uranium One deal occurred in 2010 at a time when Medvedev was heading Russia, well before Magnitsky Ukraine, and the 2016 election. We successfully negotiated treaties with them in that time.

Time and circumstances have changed dramatically.

The premise of your question, that its was OK for Manafort to give polling data to Russian spies in the context of what we know and are learning, is premised on fallacious logic and reflects a remarkable lack of concern about Manafort's traitorous behavior.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
  11. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    Sure, but it does create the possible story that Manafort was doing this for money rather than the election.

12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Remember that Manafort sent emails to Kiliminick asking if Derspaska had seen the news about his role in the campaign and asking how he could be made while. The voter data had no value to Derapsaka or anyone else— except as to how to target voters. And, that value was to the Russian government. The question is whether anyone else was involved in this. Remember, co-conspirators do not need to know about all parts of a conspiracy or even being involved in them. This is the end of the “no collusion” argument. And, if you recall, it is something that I have been saying was going to happen for a long time. This was in spring 2016. Before the hacks were public; before the Trump Tower meeting; etc.

13. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh I agree about russia’s interest in the data and that this is most certainly collusion.

All I’m suggesting is that this possibly represents a different angle that Trump can take. “See, this guy was a bad guy who wanted his money from Ukraine.”

14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Trump knew about the Kiliminick emails and still defended Manafort

15. GatorRade

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course I believe that, but unfortunately trumps words at this point are almost meaningless.

I still think this story is way bigger than it is landing in the media, but I think the people are going to want more in the final report to admit that trump colluded. Today, I think it’s highly likely that they will get more, but Mueller obviously isn’t showing all his cards yet. (And clearly didn’t even mean for these cards to be showing)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    Robert Mueller met with President Donald Trump's pollster - CNNPolitics

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. fredsanford

Dec 1, 2008
    This is an advanced version of the "coffee boy" defense. It won't work for the campaign manager and the liability will extend to both names on the ticket.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Camapign manager and his son were not the coffee boys.

19. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida

No it's not at all....it's a calling out of the B/S that is this whole process. The same people that allowed Uranium One, the invasion of Crimea, said that the '80s called and wants their foreign policy back, and got caught on a hot mic telling the Russian president that "after the election, he'll have more flexibility" are now the ones leading the charge claiming that Trump is a Russian operative.

Honestly, how do you expect to be taken seriously? Please explain....the best explanation I heard from anyone here is that "Obama was naïve". So great, we had an incompetent for 8 years. Me, I don't buy it considering he was expressing "greater flexibility".

and of course, the media NEVER once called him to task on that

I could only imagine you and your brethren's response if Trump was caught doing that same thing.....

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. grumpygator77

grumpygator77 Senior

Nov 26, 2017
    wrong on so many fronts, and facts. Damn those facts.