Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Man got $271,000 in disability while repairing and flipping homes in Florida, feds say

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Apr 30, 2024.

1. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    More "disability" scamming---

https://amp.tri-cityherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article288115445.html
    A man collected thousands in disability checks without mentioning he held five real estate broker’s licenses in Florida and made money repairing and flipping houses, according to federal prosecutors.
    The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board started paying the man, a former railroad worker, after he claimed he couldn’t work since 1995 due to a physical disability, according to court documents.
    The Sarasota resident qualified for a “total and permanent disability annuity” in December 1995, then went on to work “in multiple capacities,” prosecutors said.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I have a PI friend whose work is mostly disability cases. He has some amazing stories about the lengths people will go to in order to claim disability, and some hilarious stories about the stupidity of how he caught them.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lock him up, seize his assets.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    The working construction/repairs is what would hopefully do him in.

I don’t think being a Real Estate Agent would be a problem. Hypothetically a person could be physically disabled but still be a RE agent on the side. But if the guy was doing construction, that suggests he was not so disabled after all.

My father was federal law enforcement and did a stint in an inspector generals office, he used to love going undercover busting dudes like this. Sounds like this is a federal case. The guy is screwed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I have no idea how people get away with this but I know first hand about multiple cases of fraud that have gone unchecked despite ample evidence.

Knee injury- claims he can't kneel yet receives disability despite building docks for a living and posting pictures of himself on a BMX track racing with his son.

A Firefighter just hired with a handicapped parking pass for "respiratory problems." Parks in handicapped spots while going to the gym.

Multiple high BP claims. Firefighters can't be on beta blockers so they claim other medications don't work or cause harmful reactions or side effects. In one case the person is a known smoker which goes against the Heart/Lung bill.

Another two claim back injury. One installs ACs now and the other moved to Europe to drive trucks.

The disability benefit was reduced going forward where people who may truly need it now get substantially less pay for them.

This is a small department. I know of many more military cases as well.

PTSD is a sticky one. I don't think people should be questioned about their PTSD however I think they should be granted treatment and maybe some other benefits as long as they need them but don't agree with payouts of cash especially if they choose to work in traumatic inducing fields going forward.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a problem if you claim you are permanently and totally disabled in order to obtain benefits.

He's pleaded guilty in federal court and is pending sentencing.

7. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida man of course.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One of my former neighbors looked like your typical scruffy, long haired, sun beaten Florida construction site laborers, even had a shitty old car ... but was actually an IRS agent who's job was to get hired by contractors and construction companies looking for employers who pay under the table.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    saw someone park in a handicap spot a couple of weeks ago and he got out and proceed to take the bikes off the back for him and his wife(?) to go biking. I looked at him and shook my head at which point this cuban decided to go at me about how I could shake my head all I wanted because he had a handicap hangar and I should call the cops if I didn't like it. This was after I said nothing, just looked at him and shook my head. I told him I hope he is never handicapped enough to need the hangar. Someone may or may not have put pebbles under his valve stem caps while he was away and he may or may not have had 4 flat tires when he returned from his biking trip. Got no patience for people like that anymore

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    And I get the boot up my ass for not getting enough done at work and depriving my (one percenter) of upgrading his Lambo to a Mazerati.
    Anyone got that scammers phone number??

11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    They're untouchable. You're not supposed to question it because we don't know the "disability" but if a firefighter gets hired with a respiratory disability then they were either dishonest in their hiring process, dishonest in order to achieve the tag or both.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    My mother used to work for the head of neurosurgery at Stanford Hospital. When a Worker’s Comp. claimant came in sitting in a wheelchair, sometimes afterwards he would follow the patient out to the parking lot. Every once in a while, the patient jumped out of the wheelchair, folded it up and put it in the trunk, and drove away.

13. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We frequently hire investigators for work comp claims. Many of the cases we choose to investigate are bogus or an embellishment by 10x. We currently have one guy that is very cagey right now. We know he’s not injured but he works out in his home gym which we’re not able to photograph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Parasite scumbag. Makes it harder for those who actually need disability income.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Yup. I'm trying to make it to retirement after blowing out my ACL, MCL and meniscus on a call at work. It's been 4 years and i just tore what was left of my meniscus the other day. I'm not trying to go down that route but if I can't perform all of my duties then the benefit I could receive wll be less today because of the cases I cited above.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    We had a lady we knew who many years ago would babysit kids while we were at work. I recall hearing she was on some sort of disability - I don’t recall what, from an auto accident many years ago. Best I could tell there was nothing wrong with her.

By its very nature it is probably a very difficult to monitor and evaluate. You have to balance the fiscal needs of the state vs endlessly bugging or harassing people who are legit disabled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Gifters gonna......well, you know what!

18. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t think that’s an upgrade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame