Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Man charged after illegally detaining teenager on his way to basketball practice

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Jul 29, 2020.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    A Seffner man is accused of illegally detaining a teenager who was on his way to basketball practice. Video released by the state attorney’s office showed 54-year-old Luis Santos harassing an unidentified teen who was riding his bike through a Seffner neighborhood in the early morning hours of June 9.

The Hillsborough State Attorney's Office said Santos accused the teen of breaking into cars in the area, then Santos illegally detained him. "You’re being detained. You’re not going anywhere," Santos can be heard saying in the cell phone video he took. Documents say Santos called 911 and held his hand over his pocket as if he had a weapon. He also forced the victim to put his hands in the air.

Police say when they arrived, the teen was very shaken. They found a basketball, jump rope and gym shoes in his backpack and no evidence showed that he committed any crime. The state attorney’s office says to help comfort the victim deputies hooked his bike to the patrol car and gave him a ride to basketball practice so he wouldn't be late.

“I want to commend the sheriff’s deputies who responded to the scene. They calmed the situation down and comforted the victim. Then they took this vigilante to task for what he’d done and referred the case to our office for potential charges,” said Andrew Warren, Hillsborough State Attorney. It was later learned that Santos previously worked as a security officer at a theme park but had quit the job more than six months before.

Hillsborough Co. man charged with false imprisonment after illegally detaining Black teen

What is it with these nutjobs who think they have the authority to waltz up to other people and detain them? Anyway, glad the kid was unharmed and kudos the police officers for handling the situation.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    In freaking Seffner? I guess Florida Man strikes again.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    George Zimmerman is not impressed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  4. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Zimmerman's thinking to himself "This is why you shoot the kid first, then say he was threatening you. Rookie."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I worked in the same building with the same company as him when that went down. Next thing you know we had armed cop security at the entry door. What a hassle to say the least. And I had done appraisals in the same neighborhood where the event happened. It's a nice and safe neighbor hood so Zim was totally out of line to say the least.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    The young man attended Tampa Prep with my son. The victim just graduated and from what I've heard about him, he's a really solid young man. Thankfully, he suffered no physical injuries and I hope the SAO throws the book at this Defendant.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    At least the police handled it very well, as I'm sure they do the vast majority of the time. But you never know how they approach a scene like this.

They could have easily "sided" with the nutjob and ruined this innocent person's life.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Throw the book at this loser Karen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Another nutcase, but kudos to law enforcement for their handling of the situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. FeeBart

FeeBart VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Oct 20, 2013
    Man thats crazy. cops did a good job here

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    This is what happens when citizens play cop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Sooner or later one of these morons is going to pick the wrong one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    And the dumbass is rightfully charged.

14. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I would make a Gomer Pile citizens arrest joke but this guy makes Gomer look like Einstein

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Imagine the fear and anxiety Trayvon Martin felt when some strange old dude was following him around his neighborhood and harassing him. Trayvon was right in everything he did. How many people tell their kids to do what a stranger tells them to do? I’m still mad that Zimmerman got off.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits

17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Another wannabe cop which is always bad. Add in race stupidity and the dude is going to jail. Just a amazes me how dumb people are. Like what did he think was going to be the outcome when he lied about being a cop, lied about having video evidence of the break ins, and violated the kids rights?

as bad as this was though, the system to this point worked. The dude was arrested, the kid was treated well by the accounts we have seen, and hopefully the wannabe gets a prison sentence as a nice cherry on the sundae.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Actually, the cops are extraordinarily fair and do the right thing as close to 100% as you could expect.

19. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Which is why I gave them props in the OP, but they’re not the focus of this thread

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Ive only had a few dealings with the cops. I’d say they were fair or reasonable about half of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1