Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Male Pom-Pom “Girl”

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by grant1, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Gender roles are important. Some parents don’t think so and confuse the hell out of their children. It seems people are completely backwards these days for the sake of being woke.
    You’ll never convince me that we should confuse children with left wing crazy backward messages.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Why are gender roles important?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Like climate change is fake, African slaves had it made and Trump really won the election?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    This thread went well.

• Funny Funny x 7
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Actually, I don't recall saying any of those things. You might have me on tearing the country aport, though. :cool:

6. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Pretty damn funny from the guy who recently started a thread based on what some Hollywood guy was saying.
    The hypocrisy is impressive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    You’re fooling no one, no chance you really want guys cheering with Pom poms. This is getting ridiculous.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Well geez . . . you've gotten me from tearing apart the country to really wanting guys cheering with pom poms. I guess the latter maybe isn't so bad then. :emoji_nerd:
    On topic - I'm looking around online and am pretty certain the individual under discussion is a member of the Florida Visual Ensemble, which is indeed the color guard. As I mentioned previously, it's not uncommon for males to participate in the color guard. In the stands, the group dons pom poms to enhance the effect of the Gatorettes (majorettes or baton twirlers). So this male was going along with the poms - there's no crime and no shame in that. These fellas seemed to agree . . .
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. slightlyskeptic

slightlyskeptic GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2021
    Name names. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    Problem is…some use freedom to destroy, mock traditions. Usually it’s for the sake of….just because they can. America is embarrassing and people like you embrace it. Awesome.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  11. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Back off the personal stuff, please.

12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Guilty - I do mock traditions in America like bigotry and demeaning humans for not being in the majority. Those “traditions”, however, conflict with other more persuasive traditions, like love for the least among us, justice for all, and a land of opportunity.

Your traditions come from a place of differentiation (us/them) and mocking others (“yuck”). Mine come from a desire for plurality (e pluribus unum), individual freedom (you do you), and striving to provide equal opportunity (not results).

America became and is the greatest country due to the traditions I cite. The traditions you cite of bigotry, mocking, and rejection of social progress - yes, they have been embarrassments to our country from day one and must be confronted even today. Planck said science advances one funeral at a time. A similar view of social progress is not unfair.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

No. Nor did I see what he was accused of. That's the point. You can't read that stuff from "ugh".

14. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    But I do have compassion for those who don’t always fit in. My worry comes from hurting the masses and what’s likely good for the nation as a whole for a few who don’t fit in, or refuse to fit in.
    I think of the classroom example where a teacher is brought to her knees trying to keep a couple undesirables in check….guess who loses? The majority, yes the rest of the class.
    Libbies are destroying the school system with arguments like yours. Schools bend for those who complain the loudest. It hurts the few good teachers we have left.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Feels like a good time for my periodic reminder that the only 2 presidents who have stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame are Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. tilly

While I agree that we should mock no one nor deprive rights to all, I can also believe that gender roles have value and we are undermining that as a society.
    One can believe both.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    My point is the original and subsequent post were mocking, and I’m glad you reject that.

As I said previously, you have every right to argue that those with different views of gender “harm” society. I have every right to say that is bigoted and judgmental, and ultimately often leads to such folks being demeaned and attacked (which I know you reject).

In the end, I know that these types of cultural issues have been repeatedly held up as “end of times” harbingers, yet humans live longer, freer, and healthier than at any time in history. This will be no different and you are on the wrong side of history in my opinion. But I respect your right to that opinion and desire that your opinion not be weaponized.

18. tilly

We have to stop using the word "bigoted". Disagreeing or even being disgusted by something is not "bigoted".
    Using those feelings to mistreat someone or show cruelty to them is.

Saying "ugh" is not bigoted. Bigotry is much deeper than that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I 100% understand your opinion. However, I don’t think calling a man weird who’s dressed in a cheerleader’s outfit strutting in public is mocking. To the extent my post appeared that way and caused offense, I apologize.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    And a wonderfully diverse one. He’s not harming anyone.