Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Malachi Wideman

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by elijah_blue7, May 5, 2019.

1. joedirt

joedirt Sophomore

Jun 14, 2007
    Winter Haven
    My nephew plays for Venice. They played St Francis Academy out of Maryland, who’s ranked in the top ten nationally. They played Trinity Christian in Jax and IMG.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think we have been keeping Poitier warm, so if that is the case, I would think Wideman would get a spot before him. Both are tall, jumping out of the gym, types. Would want either in the endzone I would think.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. Chantweaver

Chantweaver GC Legend

May 7, 2008
    My bad thought it was St Francis out of Gainesville. Still the rest stands true.

4. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Poitier opens up Palmetto

• Like Like x 1
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Would love to see those cornerbacks come here. Though our '20 class has some nice CB, it has the feel of the down year for CB, and next year in state will be the elite of the elite guys.

6. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Thank you!!They play a great schedule

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chantweaver

Chantweaver GC Legend

May 7, 2008
    Yep two years ago they got there 2nd State title. Last year Lakeland put their 7th trophy next to their 2 national chmapionships. LHS is just domianant this year their closest game was their first game a 23 point victory.

8. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Me too!!!! Maybe it's just me....I know our brand is national when it comes to recruiting but i still feel we're getting TOO caught up in that and not locking down more in-state guys who may not be as highly ranked but just as good. Glad we got somebody like Travez because he's been the best DB or even defensive player in North Florida this season. We need all of those Palmetto boys on the roster: Poitier, Marshall, Brashard Smith, Collier, Collins, Taylor, Smith, hell even Derrick Edwards.

Anyways back to Wideman....I would like to bring him in if we have a shot. If it comes down to him or Poitier, not sure which route i'd go though.

9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I have a different record for Venice the last 5 years.

14-10-2
    15-10-2
    16-12-1
    17-14-1
    18-12-2
    ——————
    58-8 last 5
    38-4 last 3
    Both quite a bit different than your numbers.

10. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    Convenient you left out this years 5-4 record, which might also explain the disparity in your numbers versus his......noimsayin?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    OR- get this..we can give respect to both high schools. Venice has separated themselves from typical teams in their area. There’s something to be said for the schedule they’ve played. Compare it to Lakeland’s & we can see who has played better competition. I am by no means saying Venice is better than Lakeland. Venice is being credited for what they’ve built and done over the years because this post is discussing Wideman. Not Bowman, Dennis, Graham or Arian Smith. Lakeland has nothing to do with this. & I can tell you right now the staff would more than likely take Wideman right away if he wanted in. I’m not sure I’ve seen a better athlete all around than him.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    How does the winning percentage of Venice/Lakeland have anything to do with recruiting?

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Yea they def would take Wideman if he wanted in right now and i would be WAAAAAY on board with that. I think well know the same would take Mojo back and would take Knighton. Those are the only current FSU pledges i'm sure the staff would want. I don't think Demorie Tate is budging that's why I didn't mention him.

Wideman, Manuel, Fraziors, Weston, Grimes, and Henderson would give us optimum size while Copeland, Marks, Toney would give us the speed we need. Not sure what's White Chocolate skill set as i've never really watched film on him

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    Trent Whittemore aka “White Chocolate” is a interesting player for sure. In high school he played both Safety and WR. He is playing WR at UF and after seeing his highlights I would say he looks like a decent route runner and has really good hands. Downside would probably be his speed. Does not look fast at all to me. Very long strides when he runs as he has that long and lanky type build. Should be interesting to see what happens with his career at UF. If I had to say right now I would not expect to see him playing much at UF in his career.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I was thinking that, the last line you said, but I didn't want to say that because you never know. He may end up being one of those Kelvin Kight types that doesn't stand out but you look up and he's putting up 30-40 yard games and develops into a check down safety net type. I did hear that he'd be more highly touted had he been able strictly be a football player and not spend time playing hoops which didn't allow him to go to camps and other stuff.

16. bvgator789

bvgator789 GC Legend

Nov 29, 2018
    I mean yeah that could for sure happen and I hope it does but looking at who is or will be in the WR room with him just by looking at the other guys he may have some work to do

17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    I agree. He def is going to have to do everything RIGHT just to break into the rotation because I feel as though Fraziors is going to be one who'll play A LOT next year. I REALLLLLLY like him.

18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Speaking of LHS and wide receiver recruiting, what's the latest with Arian Smith? He's having a pretty good season.

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    we're behind UGA, Bama, Clemson

20. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Of course we are.

• Funny Funny x 1