Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Making phone calls (of all things) with a smartphone

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Mar 19, 2018.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't have a smartphone and know little about their operation. I need an answer to a question for something I'm writing.

I assume the typical smartphone has what is called a lock screen, requiring a passcode or other ID, to protect one's private info. My question is, does the lock screen also prevent some other person from using the phone to make a phone call, specifically to 911 in an emergency.

Alternatively, is there always a lock screen, or can someone typically just pick up someone else's smartphone and call 911 on it?

I've tried to find this out on the Web but to no avail. Even though we're talking about a phone, the articles I find say nothing about making phone calls. It's all about personal info, photos, apps, etc. Like the last thing you want to do with a smartphone is make a phone call.

2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    I am quite sure that a victim can always place a call from a 'smart' phone even when it is locked. This page, Link: Tip of the Day: How to Call 911 on a Locked iPhone describes how to it from an iPhone and I am sure victims of Android can also call 911 without unlocking it.

Phones don't even require a SIM card to make 911 calls. Locking the phone keeps an unauthorized creature from accessing the information on it or in placing non emergency calls. They can answer incoming calls.

As you indicate, the victims of 'smart' phones typically view placing voice calls as one of the least useful things to do.

3. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks for the link. So really the answer is no, someone can't call 911 on a locked smartphone unless they know the "secret" of how to do it, the "tip of the day." How many people know this tip or secret? I assume it would be believable in a story if a character can't call 911 on a locked phone, because he doesn't know how. Right? He would have to run get his own phone.

4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    It's really easy to do on my Samsung s8 down in the lower left corner is a phone icon swipe it and it will take you to the dialer screen. It will not unlock anything else but it'll allow you to dial 911. Screenshot_20180320-015854.jpg

5. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

The great thing about a smartphone us you can lock ALL the features of your phone, ezcept just the phone.

6. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    If my phone is stolen I can turn it into a brick from my laptop or watch. If someone tries to remove the sim card it sends a GPS reading and sends me a picture. Same deal if the wrong password is used more than 3 times.

7. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    I can't do hardly anything with my landline except make phone calls. The good thing is that no one is going to steal it.

8. WhattaGator

WhattaGator All Along The Watchtower Moderator VIP Member

Without a doubt!