Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Make no mistake, that was a big time win

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Feb 10, 2018.

1. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    To totally dominate a team that loves to play a physical style of game is a huge plus for these guys.

10 guys played and every one of them scored.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Gators now stand at 17-8 (8-4)

• Like Like x 3
  3. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I agree. Should be a big boost to the confidence of the team. I’m one of the first to criticize White but he did a great job of motivating this team to get an important win today.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  4. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    One of our best games of the season. Probably our best half of basketball in the first. So good to see such strong bench play today. We got very good minutes out of Gak, Okauru, Ballard, and Bassett, and I'm not even counting Allen as a bench guy. Certainly Gak's best game ever.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    ...Dontay...Bassett...

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    It was a huge win because this would have been a devastating loss.

Great way to rebound this week.

7. harnettgator

harnettgator Moderator VIP Member

Nov 25, 2013
    In the post game interview with Mick CMW spoke about his thinking re substituting early and often (expecting this to be a very physical exhausting game). Also said he regrets not leaving some of the freshmen in for longer stretches earlier in the season to allow the young guys adjust to SEC play.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Now it's time to get revenge on UGAly.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Best 40 minutes of defense I've seen in a long time. Now we're finally playing some basketball.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    That was fun! Impressive. We beat them at their own game. A blockfest too!

• Agree Agree x 7
  11. SportsPsychGator

SportsPsychGator VIP Member

Jun 9, 2017
    Ft Bragg, NC
    And all on their home court. Game prep and keeping their focus throughout were key today and will be going forward. Also didn't hurt getting everybody the minutes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. charlestong8r

charlestong8r Premium Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Went to the game today and saw a good Gator fan turnout.

The blocks were demoralizing for them. I'm also always amazed at how hard it seems to score from right underneath the basket. They had a lot of early attempts right under the basket where the ball simply rolled off the rim. If half those go in, the game might not have gotten away from them.

An older Gamecock couple next to me mentioned at halftime they didn't realize how much we could score. I didn't think that was fair, just thought comapred to SC we looked like sharpshooters.

Finally, Allen's season is disappointing so far. None of his shots are falling and his ball handling isn't anything to write home about.

Regardless, it was nice to attend an away Gator game and see a W by the good guys.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Dear South Carolina,

Payback is a XXXXX!

Yours truly,
    Florida

:devil::devil::devil:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We kicked 'em right in their Frank & beans!!
    And Frank got technical about it.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Creative Creative x 2
  15. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Some sick defense for sure, but Carolina is falling off the map. Still, considering they beat us on our floor, it was nice to dominate on theirs.

Now this next game is another one we absolutely need. Had to have that game against a sputtering USCe team,and now we must get another revenge win on the home floor vs UGA. Brutal stretch coming up. No gimmies in the final 6. In fact, 3 of these games might be our toughest tests all season (@Tennessee, Auburn, @Alabama... and trying to sweep Kentucky might be the next toughest.

Every game is huge from here on out. We arent' quite a "lock" for the NCAAT yet, so must win our share of games. Have to avoid any "losing streaks" anyway. Yet, despite not even being a "lock" yet, our upside is still pretty high if we can get hot. Probably up to a 4 or 5 seed if we can finish about 4-2 and then win 2 or 3 SECT tourney games. I don't remember having an up and down season like this, where it feels like we can go either way. Part of that is obviously our own doing (ups and downs), but part of it is the SEC is definitely far more competitive this year, nothing is easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Damn this win felt good. I know it's petty to want revenge but so what, call me petty

Absolutely took it to them...and in their house too. Falling off the map fine, but to hold them to no more than 21 points in a half is impressive no matter how you look at it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    All conference road wins are huge, especially when you've already lost at home to an opponent. USC has gone in the tank so I'm not going to read too much into this one game, but I will say a 4-2 road record thus far is impressive. One more road win will give us a winning road record this season in what is a very deep league (for a change). Honestly, I wouldn't be too disappointed in 3-3 down the stretch. We might very well be underdogs in 4 of those games. I said last week I have no idea what to expect from this team on any given day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    Took away their modus operadni and made it very uncomfortable for then on both ends of the court. Huge boost in physicalit and determination for 40 minutes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    If you had told me before the game we'd have 9 assists to 14 turnovers I would have said no way we win this game...but this is what happens when you play lights out defense and double them up in rebounding. Great to see the intensity and toughness that was lacking the first couple months. Hope it continues.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This is as good of a place to post this...

Anyone feeling a twinge of withdraw because we don't have our Mike White press notes? I feel like a child who hasn't been given his favorite blanket at bedtime.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2