Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Maine families face elder boom, worker shortage in preview of nation’s future

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Aug 15, 2019.

1. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Yeah it would be nice if they'd just be honest about it.

2. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    And in the Us vs. Them tug of war...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know of any right wingers or whinny libs that post here that hates the poor, elderly, immigrants or illegal immigrants as you falsely implied.
    upload_2019-8-18_5-14-49.jpeg

5. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    During those ten years abortion levels have declined. Total abortion numbers went down each year 2006-2015 (the latter year being the most recent I could find with applicable data).

• Like Like x 1
  6. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    What's a "noble program"? Please give examples.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    Hate is a strong word. Right wingers who post here that don't like the poor, immigrants, etc? Yes, they're here, and I won't go into detail who they are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I didn't use the word hate, Duchen did. Can show any proof of your claims or just your personal opinion, I have yet to see any.

9. tarponbro

tarponbro GC Legend

Feb 10, 2016
    It's my personal opinion, just like lots of others who post here, you included. I'm not going to call out anyone specifically here either. If I were talking to them face to face I would definitely call them out though, just like I have many times when discussing issues with people face to face..

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Syllogisms and posters do not substitute for policy and action. The suggestion that Social Security or Medicare are somehow not the products of personal responsibility proves the point. Limited government in what way? No schools? Heck, it is the position of conservatives that teachers need to be armed. What about the personal responsibility of not getting shot and protecting yourself? Isn’t arming teachers more than limited government? They need guns and training. What about the personal responsibility of fixing your own problem without government in a national disaster? Or the personal responsibility of national defense to protect the country? Or the personal responsibility of clean drinking water? Spare the poster proclamations. It pisses the right off that older people who have paid into the system receive Social Security and Medicare. Same party who laughed at Al Gore’a lock box. Same people who preached that it was virtual treason to oppose the iraq war and then cut taxes and borrowed to pay for it want to preach personal responsibility, and less government. Nonsense. It is the party that hates the elderly and the poor. Until it gets older.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007

You definitely have that backwards. If being told lies angered Republicans Trump wouldn't be president.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    It's sad that people might have to take care of their parents, and can't turf it off on the Government to do...….

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I have lots of patients who's elderly parents move down with them and visa versa.

14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    You know what they say about walking a mile in another's shoes. My Father-in-law was about 15 years older than my MIL, and she passed early in her late 50s from cancer. A few months after my MIL passed, my FIL was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It wasn't long that my FIL needed someone to watch him around the clock for his own safety. My MIL's life insurance paid off all the debts, and we sold the house in Scottsdale, but the cost of round-the-clock care is extremely high.

Could one of the kids done it? Not the oldest, who fell back to drinking after my MIL died, and was sentenced to 18 months after his second DUI. The middle was going through a nasty divorce at the time and was trying to figure out how to be a single mother. My wife is the baby, and we lived about 100 miles away, and were in our late 20s, starting our careers, having just bought our first house a few years ago.

The best, and only logical choice was finding a state-run facility and turning over all SS, pension, and military benefits over, as well as custody of my FIL. In the 4 or so months it took to find a suitable place and legally do all the paperwork, we paid for my FIL to be in a 24 hour care facility, and it significantly ate into the money made off of selling the house.

My FIL lived another 19 months in the facility, and had we paid for it, we would have run out of money in month 8 or 9. Maybe 10 if we were lucky. What would you have done in this situation? Maybe you should think about it before you insult someone on how they take care of their elders.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Mrs. GK's mom had dementia and the cost ate through her net worth and put a big hit on her brother and sister as well. It was hard for them, and Mrs. GK had just been financially scorched by BOA/Countrywide. I guess they should have just picked themselves up by the bootstraps because mommy would have been sucking of the gubmint teat. And BTW, when Mrs. GK passed last year, she passed on 40 years of SS contributions to someone who was going to need it. Paying it forward so to speak. Since she will never see a penny of it, maybe someone in need can benefit from it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Wasn't meant as a specific insult and not to any specific poster. I treat AD patients every day, many people have similar situations to yours and there isn't a viable way to do it. Some have no kids and it then is up to Medicare and Medicaid. Plenty can't be bothered and don't want their lives disrupted, and we all know that to be true.

Once Again I meant no specific insult.

17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I'm sure there are some who feel they can't be bothered, but how many of us have the time, money, and capability to take in a parent that needs 24X7 attention? I can't speak for others, but I know for my wife and family, the decisions were agonizing. The last thing we wanted to do is give my FIL over to a state-run home. But it was the only, logical option. I know I'm not the only one who has faced these difficult decisions, and I'm not going to judge anyone for the decision they make. Easy to sit back and deride those that need government help to take care of their parents. It's another to be in the situation and feel there are no other options.

• Like Like x 1