Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Maine families face elder boom, worker shortage in preview of nation’s future

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Aug 15, 2019.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Then I am fine with my posts and communication with you. I was being sincere if you could not handle it.

So I will go with...it is time to get your big boy pants on if you want to discuss on a political forum on the internet. If you do not like how I have analyzed your position and how you get there. Great. You can tell me how I am all wrong. And some will agree with you and some with me.

So sensitive some can be. Oh sorry. Well not really because it is not an insult. But if your feelings were hurt again on a political website and you cannot handle it. It may be time to rethink engaging.

Grow up and spare me your gotcha stuff. :eek:o_O:cool::D

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Now you are just lying.... this is your exact quote from above...

“the program still can't give those who paid in what it promised”

That is a current tense statement implying it is happening now, which we all know it is not. You can predict that may happen in the future if you want, but everyone in the past who has made that prediction have been wrong, because the politicians know what a popular program SS is, and do the right thing by making periodic adjustments to save it.... just like Big Daddy Government Reagan did....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    First of all it can’t. Stop collecting FICA today and those it promised money will not receive what they were promised.

We have a little under $3 trillion in the trust fund? Spend $900 billionish a year? That is close to what the numbers use to be. So say we start putting every dollar in a persons private account. And the system will be broke in 4 years ish with nothing.

Now...do you think I am going to get what I am promised today? Or do you think I will have to retire later? Will we have to increase taxes also? And that does not solve the problem but just kicks it down the road.

The program keeps changing the promise all the time.

Yes those in retirement will get what they were promised currently. Because the government does not have the backbone to explain reality. Well I am not sure when the age increase went into effect so some may actually be receiving less than they were promised when they entered the workforce.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  4. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    'if your feelings are hurt'. So condescending and just another insult.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  5. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    And I stand by my position that it fails a basic test of Christianity to be able to discuss matters without personal insults.

I have told you how you are wrong. Personal insults aren't factual. You don't know me, so you have no actual basis for your insults. I am fully capable of rational thought. The fact that you can't deal with rational thought without personal insult is your problem. I'd suggest that one possibility for why is projection, but it might also just be a defense mechanism against dangerous thoughts that might make you question ideology.

Be better.

6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If they were the apology was real. But I sure do not feel they were.

So I have nothing to apologize for.

Condescending is throwing out the nonsense md threw out about someone’s faith when no insult was ever sent. Which is certainly my perception of the situation as it has played out. Now if I hurt your feelings or his. I want to know and will/would apologize.

But I am confident you are both big boys and girls (please don’t take that as an insult) posting on the internet and a political web site at that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    If you would like to discuss Christianity and the Biblical Word of God...I would love to. We can start a thread!

I have engaged enough to have a strong conviction your use of it on this thread was nothing more than a defense mechanism to deflect. If you are insulted by my analyzing the government has a strong influence on you...then you need to grow up. It has nothing to do insults or Christianity. You need to grow up if you are going to post on political Internet forum with another person you do not know. :cool::D

Be Better.

8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Nah, more just that you can't discuss issues without personal insults.

Nope. I discussed the issue directly and directly discussed your insults as well. Deflection is to not talk about the central issue. I did.

Moving goalposts. Not what you posted. Still baseless, but it is a nice walkback. Did you realize that you did that?

I consider the ability to discuss an issue without personal insults to be the adult position. You clearly are not capable of doing so. So I repeat, be better. And now I have said my piece. You can go back to your regularly scheduled programming of insulting other people so that you can feel morally superior to them. I'll just be sure to call you out on it when you do it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    I suspected such a response.

Enjoy your government guided programming...:eek::cool::D

10. dangolegators

dangolegators GC Hall of Fame

Apr 26, 2007
    Let me try to explain it to you. When you use the term 'if I hurt your feelings', you are treating the person you are talking to as if they were a child. Using the term 'hurt your feelings' on a message board is an insult and (I hope) you know it.

You could have chosen 'if I offended you I apologize'. That's still sort of a non apology, but at least you'd be talking to your opponent as if they were an adult and not a child. But you know what you are doing and that's why you chose 'if I hurt your feelings' instead.

11. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Let me explain it to you.

I offered an apology and sadly got exactly what I expected.

You and those that want to play this offended game need to grow up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    Time to return to the thread topic!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Did this nation have nursing homes 125 years ago? I thought when people got old, their kids took care of them then.

14. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    Did this nation have many automobiles 125 years ago? I live more than 1000 miles from either of my parents. It's economic necessity.

15. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Completely invalid comparison. 125 years ago most Americans died before ever needing long term care. An individual who passes away before the age of 70 is much less likely to need long term care than someone who lives to the age of 85 or older.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    When you abort 60 million on demand, it tends to have consequences. Both some refuse to do the math. I was posting on this result at least 10 years ago on this board.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Abortion rates between countries where it's legal is statistically the same for countries where it's illegal. The difference is, where it's illegal, the are more negative outcomes for the women, as abortion isn't as safe as it can be.

Abortion isn't the problem. Had abortion been illegal, women with means would have gone to Canada, like Irish women who travel to England at a rate of 10/day for abortions. Others would have gone "back alley", and overall abortion numbers wouldn't differ much.

The problems are we're living longer, people are marrying and having less children, starting later in life, and people don't always live within 50 miles of their aging parents.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The US fertility rate started declining over a decade prior to Roe v Wade (1973) and has actually remained relatively constant since abortion was legalized in the US. The country needs more legal immigrants and our current nativist president is pursuing a policy that would do exactly the opposite.
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    A science based assessment

20. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Should people you assign to take care of their aging parents then also do community service for the government aid that they have to qualify for by proving that they looked for a job they could not take because they were taking care of their parents? Why don’t the right wingers here just admit that they don’t give a damn about the elderly or the poor? Or they they hate immigrants so much that they don’t care the effect that keeping them out has on the country? Nobody is fooled.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2