Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Maine families face elder boom, worker shortage in preview of nation’s future

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Aug 15, 2019.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Thank you for showing the massive increase in the divorce rate since the New Deal. Was the New Deal the only reason? Absolutely not. It just laid the groundwork for the Family to turn to the government instead of the Unit itself.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Global warming is EASY. Just remember two things: First, learn the planting zone you are in and just move up one and then two numbers and what grows in those climates. The second? Buy land that is currently about 50 feet above sea level or higher. After that, go to sleep and wait for the "inevitable".

BTW, if global warming is so "scary" then why aren't we trying to freeze the planet so that the 500 feet depths, give or take, that is currently under the water is rightfully reclaimed? Just asking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Oh, so now we are glorifying the era of 35% poverty for seniors, because somehow families were taking care of people, except for 35% of all seniors?

The New Deal wasn't a reason. The rate shot up with the passing of no fault divorce laws and has been declining for like 40 years, all with social security. Correlation is not causation. But causation without correlation (once you control for divorce laws) is a hard argument to make.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Back track 80/90 years ago, and you'd see that families could get by on one paycheck, had pension plans, heathcare costs didn't bankrupt people.... There's a MAGA we could get behind....

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So your goal is to recreate the amazing economy of the late 1920s-1930s?

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Not doing anything close to what you insinuate. Just showing that fdr implemented a redistribution program instead of a noble program to help those in need. Now we have the entitlement mentality the government can use to control people. Sad reality!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Actually they were rough times. So instead of implementing a noble program. fdr dumped a redistribution program that created the entitlement government can control.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Not at all. You libs are really good at making crap up. I will say it again and I am sure you will take your government controlled mind and turn it into something. I am for creating a noble program that helps those in need and means tests giving out tax dollars to people. Policies that are a backstop and promote people not looking to the government until they have to.

Not sure how...but you will probably take that as we need to go back to an agrarian economy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    And over the last 80/90 since.then, we've wrecked unions, wrecked the pension system, wrecked healthcare to point that most families need two incomes to barely get by, the parents have little or no savings, children can't take time off work to care for parents, can't afford inhome providers.... And trying to take on the burden would bankrupt most families.

If it were not for FDR and SS, lots of people would have nothing.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    "Government-controlled mind"

Wow. You really arent capable of dealing in empirical realities without insulting people as a defense mechanism. Sad reality.

Who exactly do you mean test for this "noble" program? The senior? Their kids? Their nieces and nephews? Their cousin? Who gets mean tested for retiree income? Heck, what even is a means test here? Income? Wealth?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Yes, you would never argue that a means tested program caused dependence, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatornana

gatornana Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm speaking from experience.....I dropped out of the workforce to take care of my dad his last 5 years. While still working, I helped my dad take care of my mom her last 3 years during her illness. When I took care of my dad, it was very stressful emotionally and financially because we had only 1 paycheck. There are many Americans who can't afford to drop out of the workforce to take care of an aging, ill parent.

That dependence on the government, as you put it, allowed the middle class to grow since they didn't have to take on the added expense of paying the medical bills of aging parents or drop out of the workforce to take care of them.

I'm happy I could take care of my dad but not everyone has a situation like mine.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    About time , I would do it for my parents and in-laws. Easy for you and others to blame Trump for this, what about the cost to live there ? Who do you blame for that? Part of the problem with Maine is the weather, there's so many seasonal jobs that disappear once it start's getting cold. For example I was in Bar Harbour, ME about a week ago and was talking to several of the workers each day almost of them were from Jamaica, they said that those resorts shut down usually for about 16 to 22 weeks because of the weather. So it's more of a weather issue than a worker issue. By the way what a awesome place to visit if you guys haven't been

15. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel sorry for that poor illegal immigrant

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    You have no idea :emoji_anguished::emoji_laughing:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    Home | The Roosevelts | PBS
    Real heros in my book. I probably would not be here if not for the CCC program.
    All had faults but all served their country and we were better off for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    The New Deal allowed for the world's second creation of a true middle class. The previous time that happened was due to a great Europe plague in the middle ages. Maybe your talking points sound reasonable, but in action they are inaction.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    That is about the most ridiculous statement I have heard. SS now takes 6.2 times what it did at inception on a max taxable that is over three times inflation. And all it is it money being filtered by bureaucracy. Not saying a safety net for those in true need should be taken away. But you have certainly been sold what the government wants. And are a pawn that is part of the problem now.

20. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Ocala
    Everyone should be means tested. It should be a last resort backstop to help those in true need.

And yes I am going with the "government controlled mind" as you put out nonsense that I want to go back to the economy of the past.