Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Magic win first overall pick

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by HeyItsMe, May 18, 2022.

1. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Legend

Mar 7, 2009
    About time for us long suffering Magic fans. Jabari has to be the pick here, no? He’s the only potential superstar I see in this draft. Hate Auburn, but love the player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Magic = USF
    Heat = UF

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Oh don’t worry, they’ll screw it up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Generous.......to the Magic.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    One mock draft has Gonzaga's 7'0 195 Chet Holgrem as the #1 pick while another has Duke's 6'10 250 Paolo Banchero as the one. Auburn's Jabari Smith is another potential #1 as well.

It will be an interesting choice for the Magic. While Holgrem is a 7-footer who can shoot well from beyond the arc as well as being a good shot blocker, I think the safest choice for Orlando is Banchero because of his physicality and production.

Chet Holmgren Stats | ESPN
    Paolo Banchero Stats | ESPN
    Jabari Smith Stats | ESPN

2022 NBA Mock Draft: Magic take Chet Holmgren at No. 1 in first projection after Orlando wins lottery

NBA Mock Draft 2022: Magic select Paolo Banchero with No. 1 pick; Thunder, Kings make biggest lottery jumps

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RD_gator

RD_gator GC Hall of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    The Orlando Magic who had so many chances to be THE pro-basketball team in the state are either like the Chicago Cubs or the Boston Red Sox (remember the "Babe Ruth curse"). That organization is CURSED somehow!

It may take Orlando similarly close to a century to win a championship.

Curse of the Bambino - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007

8. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Magic better take Jabari or they'll regret it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Magic are the Amway of Pro basketball.

10. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Not a great year for a team who has the #1 pick. Lots of good talent that can make a team better, but none of the top three had the kind of seasons that scream “I’m a franchise level player”

Chet Holmgren Stats

“ Too light, lacks physicality “ -
    - more Portzingas than true center

Paolo Banchero Stats |
    Over-powers college players in the post, to create space and shot opportunities. Will that translate?

Jabari Smith Stats |
    Inconsistency , and still learning how to use his size & skillset to it’s maximum.

Again, all of the above are really good players, but none look like a sure-fire #1 draft pick.

Just thinking out loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Jabari was bored in college. Look at him as a bigger Morant with a better jumpshot.

12. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    If you’re right, then Orlando is in for a treat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ahab

Ahab GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Jabari isn't that level of athlete. Durant might be a better analogy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I thought it was somewhat concerning how Jabari seemed to wilt (like the moment was a bit too big for him) when Auburn got beat in the Tourney.

I think Banchero's skills are amazing. I get the feeling the only thing holding him back on the college level was trying to fit in and not just "take over" - kind of like an MJ under Dean Smith... or a Brad Beal (or Mike Miller to a lesser degree) who I always wanted to be more aggressive to the point of sometimes saying "just take over, please" when he was a Gator.

Not that I cared so much about whether Banchero would take over as he played for Duke. :cool:

Holmgren reminds me of San Bowie with his height/stature and offensive skills. Hopefully, he'll have more luck physically. He's got amazing length to go with that outside shooting touch. Watched him a lot last year playing for Gonzaga. He's a heckuva shot blocker too with that 7'-6" wingspan :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gator_glory

gator_glory Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    I watched every one of Jabari’s game this past season. I have no idea if he will ultimately be better than the other options at #1 but I know I would choose him. He is a very young FR and his entire game is NBA ready. One of the best shooters around with perfect form who shoots the ball very high. Some referenced KD and I think that is a great comparison. He also has a strong competitive streak that will serve him well. If I were the Magic he would easily be my pick.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. gator_glory

gator_glory Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    I did not see the wilt. He had his worst shooting performance of the year, still finished with 10 pts and 15 rbs which reflected his effort. That was on the heels of a 20-10 game in Round 1. The fact is that he was an 18 y/o who was the best player on the SEC Championship team. Bad shooting game was untimely but that is the sport and I was impressed that it did not slow his effort in the other parts of the game. Just my thoughts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

He does not have Durant’s handle, but is as good as Durant was at this stage in every other category. And I would say that is passion and intensity are 5 times Durant’s as evidenced by Durant’s remarkably mundane performances unless paired with absolute superstars.

18. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    It’s hard for me to compare. I didn’t watch Tx when he was there. I vaguely remember his Tx team was bounced early. I only saw him play once or twice his rookie year.

I do disagree about Durant’s lack of passion. I think he is calm under pressure and an excellent shooter and off-ball rebounder. To me, of the three teams he’s played for, only one PG, Curry, would set him up and get him the ball where he’s most effective during in-game situations. Both Russ & Irving are ball-dominant, shot-first PG’s.

If anything, I just doubt some of his decisions.

if Jabari projects to something of a Durant-like level, then that’s great for Orlando if he goes there. The other question is…..can they develop him? I haven’t seen them really do that with anyone I remember.

19. wdcurtis4

wdcurtis4 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunate for the Magic there is not a Cade Cunningham or Anthony Edwards in this Class, let a lone a probable transcendent player like Zion or Morant is evolving into.

That being said I too think the Magic will regret not taking Jabari.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Magic trade down to the 2nd or 3rd spot if they think they can get their guy, and pick up another first round pick next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

To Orlando's credit, they have been in this spot 3 times and have drafted 3 HOF players with the pick. (Traded C.Web for Penny who SHOULD be in the HOF).

It's been nothing but a disaster since Dwight bailed. They are the only pro team in west/central Florida, not killing it right now. They have struggled to keep my interest and I am a day one Nick Anderson fan.

• Like Like x 1