Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mac Guscette update?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by jdgator, May 6, 2021.

1. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Can anyone provide a TRUE update on Mac's status? Watching Hickey catch is painful. I thought we were told he would be back by Vandy series. Need him back to have any chance in regionals. Hickey needs to play 1B.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jeff said, tonight, that Mac will be back soon...possibly as early as this weekend.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
  3. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Mac is a really good hitter, but he didn't impress me behind the plate at all. Maybe my sample size was too small.

4. Marvel_Comics

Marvel_Comics Sophomore

Apr 17, 2007
    I don't remember Mac being great behind the plate but Hickey is killing us back there...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Guscette is the best all around catcher on the team and he was really hitting well when he got hurt. Hickey is a great hitter, but a liability behind the plate. Poor defense and unreliable pitching is so un-Sully like, it's got to be driving him crazy. The talent we have is just not playing up to their ability.

6. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can assure you from watching him in HS to now, that Mac is our best option behind the plate at this point. Any average runner is turning a single/walk into a double with Hickey behind the plate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Definitely an upgrade especially in terms of being able to control the other team’s running game and throw some people out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Stats say he's probably going to give us just as many, maybe more, passed balls and errors, but he will gun down a few more runners at second. I like him behind the dish and Hickey at first either way though. If Guscette keeps tearing it up at the plate, he gives us a significant boost in ba over Butler.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree on the stats....but I think it's also reasonable to expect improvement (if he's healthy) as he settles in and adapts to the college game

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    I'm just not a Jordan Butler fan. It's great that he's a 2-way player and has had some streaks over the last 3 years where he's had success on the mound and at the plate. But he's not a really good defensive 1st baseman, his batting average has been in a steady decline for the last 6 weeks, he's watching too many hittable pitches go by and absolutely has not produced with runners in scoring position. And it seems O'Sullivan has lost confidence in his pitching. It seems that when Guscette comes back, he'll be behind the plate most of the time. That leaves Armstrong or Hickey to play first. To me our best defensive first baseman is Calilao, but his bat has not been very good this year, as a true freshman has beaten him out for RF. Armstrong was shaky at first the few times he got starts there and I have no idea how Hickey will do. But you've got to have Hickey's bat in the lineup, as well as Armstrong's, so one of them has to play 1st and the other DH, right? But then we look at 3rd. Our best defensive infield is Halter at 3rd, Carrion at SS and Rivera at 2nd. But that takes McMullen's bat out of the lineup and he's been OK at 3rd, while Halter leads the team in errors. It's just an unsettled mess so late in the year. Not sure how Sully will handle it, but it seems that to have a stronger batting order this year, we have to suffer on defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nsbgator

nsbgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I wonder if part of the stealing problem is our pitchers are not good holding runners close, or their pick-off
    moves are not good enough for the runners to respect?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Probably. It’s probably a combination of things. Not the best catcher, not the best moves on the mound, pitchers losing focus and being told not to worry about baserunners, suspect middle infield... All that combines for a complete lack of respect from opposing team, which just exacerbates our problems.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

It is.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

EXACTLY.

15. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    FWIW Mac had on full catcher's gear when he went through the handshake line at the end of the game. That's an awfully good sign.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Yeah, I’d disagree. Much more of a tactician than Hickey. Although young, by far our best option.

17. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    In this case I’ll take the eye test and that fact that Mac was just settling into becoming a college catcher. We are a much better team w Mac behind the dish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Lineup has been posted for Saturday game at KY. Hickey is at 1B, Greenfield behind the plate, Acton at 2B, Calilao in RF, Armstrong at DH, McMullen at 3B. Halter, Butler and Thompson out.

19. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    No argument from me moving Hickey to first and Guscette behind the plate. Don’t love Greenfield as a permanent replacement back there, but fine with him getting some reps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    Hunter Barco pitched great today. 6.2 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 10 K's. Gators win 9-2. Jacob Young had 4 hits and 4 RBI, Rivera, Calilao and Hickey had 2 hits each. Although the Gators stranded 13 runners, pitching and defense was excellent today. The only blemish was 2 HR's given up by Christian Scott in the 8th.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1