Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lunatic Fringe? Check the Numbers

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Apr 4, 2021.

1. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Well I will let other folks talk about White's short comings. I was making the point that Hamilton is doing LESS with better teams honestly. Both of them went to the elite 8. That is as far as they've gone. Hamilton has lost in the sweet 16 the other years most recently while White has lost in the round of 32. Sure there is a slight difference but not that much in the grand scheme of things. That was the point I am proving.

• Like Like x 1
  2. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    White’s record vs Hamilton: 0-6

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    By some of y’all’s logic, we should win the National Championship this year. We do need an outgoing player to get punched in the face like Matt Walsh lol

4. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    So an average team is all that UF deserves? We were bubble teams a few times that White made the tournament, and we performed like it. A team is on the bubble because it is inconsistent. Win one, then lose the next. We perform in the tournament like we perform in the regular season, which is inconsistent as hell.

You want a football comparison, I give you Mark Richt. Nice guy, had an average/above average team every year, but never really sniffed an opportunity at a NC. So UGA takes a chance and replaces him, and makes a NC appearance.

For being a UF fan, you have a really low standard for what is expected from this program. Every other sport at UF is expected to compete for championships. Why is men’s basketball immune from that standard to the point that being stagnant as a program is acceptable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    And that is a totally separate point from what I am making about Hamilton doing less with better teams. Me personally I think there are better coached out there than Hamilton and that is the point I am making. If you like him then go ahead but I think there are better coaches out there personally. I know you were just literally trying to say White has never beaten Hamilton I am sure but to me, he still does less with more either way.

6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    My expectations are not low. I just understand that basketball is a volatile sport when it comes to program success, unlike football which is relatively consistent. You can expect to see Alabama, Clemson, OSU, and one other random team in the playoff. Basketball is not like that. I feel as though with KJ this year, we would have been an Elite 8 team at worst. I don't think a coaching change is needed to get to the Final Four and/or championship.

7. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Ted dupay, udonis Haslem, mike Miller, Justin Hamilton, Brett Nelson, Brent wright, ladarious Halton, orien Greene, Matt Bonner, Donnell Harvey...these are high school players that everyone in the country wanted. These are the players Billy brought in in his first few years to help establish the program. I just don’t see near this level of players being brought in by mike white in his first six years. If he was being knocked out of the tournament early but you could see the potential, that would be one thing. If he was maybe 3-3 vs FSU...

You would be hard pressed to build a logical, sound case that this team is on the verge of winning any type of championship. We are replacing basically the entire starting roster...starting over at square 1. Even if Castleton returns we are going to be in the bottom half to bottom quarter of the SEC next year. Bringing in a squad made up of mid-major transfers is not going to get it done. You can add one here or there to plug holes but you can’t build your roster that way. I know the transfer portal helps teams but it doesn’t replace recruiting. If you haven’t noticed, FSU clearly out recruits us in the state of Florida. Unfortunately Hamilton doesn’t seem to know X’s and O’s.

8. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Penn State and Boston College are mid-majors?

9. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    No but I don’t consider ukmc, furman, penn state or BC to be basketball powers. I was generalizing a bit to make a point.

10. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Hamilton doesn’t know X’s and O’s but he’s competing with Duke and UNC every year now? Ok.

11. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    I really hope that time proves your point of view correct even if I do not share your sense of optimisim here (former Sledd Hall resident here , by the way. It was good to live across from the Porpoise and near the Swamp).

12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sorry if this has been covered, but expectations should be based on expenditures. If we are one of the top 25 spending teams in the country (not sure if we are), then our expectations should be to be in the top 25 of successes (that certainly includes consistent tournament bids). If we are spending below rank on basketball relative to the total size of our athletics budget, then that is a different concern. But the main point is, it's hard to come to an agreement on expectation without some sort of attempt at an objective standard.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    To put some numbers to that concept. We were one of 26 teams to make at least 4 of the last 5 tournaments. Assuming we are one of the top 25 spenders (again, not sure that we are, but hopefully), this is not a feat to be celebrated, it should be along the lines of bare minimum expectations.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

14. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    The whole Murphree Area had no A/C but the biggest rooms and the most fun residents!

15. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Sledd had frigid air and small irregular shaped rooms but it was a cool place to live on campus. A good buddy and lifelong friend was next door in Murphree. We met in the Murphree Commons Area. One summer, I had a room in Sledd on second floor that I could crawl out to little area outside my window and see Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Great location to drink too much beer and listen to tunes...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I lived in Hume and then moved into Sledd the year they renovated everything back in 1984. My daughter lived in Murphree in 2018 in a big 2 BR. Still the biggest and quietest places with separate entrances for each section and only 4 rooms to a floor. Old, but functional. She faced Ben Hill Griffin stadium and the pool area.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Maybe he does but his team sure didn’t look like they did when they played Michigan. In the half court, Michigan took them to school. Just seems to be a recurring theme for them in the tournament.

18. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I for one look at the entirety of the season and don't only care about the tourney. Fsu has had consistently good regular seasons while also playing in a tougher conference. That combined with their tournament record and recurring quality recruiting classes makes for a better program. That one extra win each year however is enough to give fans some hope that the Damn will break one year and they will advance. If you're in the mix enough surely you will win one eventually.....unless you're Mike Martin of course lol

19. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think the least successful UF sports program, both historically and currently, is women's basketball. We can argue that the men have demonstrated what is possible here and established a championship standard to strive for. I'm pretty sure the women's side has never really had much beyond fighting to be in the top half of the conference. Ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Michigan was a #1 tournament seed and a top team all year.