Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lunatic Fringe? Check the Numbers

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 33hoop, Apr 4, 2021.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    From a fanfare perspective I somewhat agree which might sound strange given the derision our fan base recieves. I don't see or hear much around the state about fsu basketball despite their recent success. Recruiting wise however they have been doing better and their post season success although empty regarding championships has kept them in the national spotlight longer than Florida year after year.

2. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Your "I find it to be somewhat rude in the course of normal conversation." sounded to me like Big Dan Teague, the incomparable John Goodman, in "Oh Brother Where Art Thou".
    My cinema-geek sometimes gets the best of me.:D

3. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    I have heard the opposite. I heard no real effort was made at hiring a top 10 coach and Foley wanted to prove how smart he was that he could find another diamond in the rough

4. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    I think its the O&B glasses. They've been beating us head to head AND in tourney wins for 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Foley will never admit that he looked at anyone besides White. He learned his lesson in football, when the high profile rejections by Stoops and Shanahan made him look foolish.

Both coaches received hefty raises not long after we picked up White. I'm sure there was interest in them from other schools too, but I don't think it was a coincidence.

6. tpapablo

tpapablo Freshman

Apr 10, 2007
    Question to The LF:
    We had a five year stretch once, where Gators went to the tournament 5 times. They lost in the second round 3 times and the first round 2 times. Each of those losses were to a lower seeded teams, including losses to 2 12th seeds and one 11 seed. During that stretch we never won the SEC regular season and, indeed never finished higher than 2nd in the East. Won the SEC tourney once in that stretch. We had a total of 12 NBA players on our roster during that period. Fire the coach?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Love how you leave out the NC appearances before and after this. Not a logical argument...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. gator10

gator10 Senior

Nov 23, 2015
    Have you read my posts? I don’t support firing CMW this year but I definitely believe we should be questioning his coaching job. You seem to be way to emotionally invested in this.
    Try listening to an unemotional, logical argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    On the contrary, I am not basing my views off of emotions.

10. tpapablo

tpapablo Freshman

Apr 10, 2007
    No one knew that the '06 championship was coming. So no one could very well take that into consideration in evaluating whether to fire BD after that 5 year stretch. Getting to the national title game in 2000, on the other hand, is not necessarily a plus. That should have been a boon to recruiting and it was. BD, it could be argued, did less with far more than MW has. How do you lose in the 2nd round with 8 NBA'ers on your roster? For the record, I am glad that we didn't fire BD in 2005. But the same arguments that I see made against White could have applied to BD back then.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    No you don’t because of the following:
    1) just prior to that stretch that coach took them to the final 4 and lost in the finals
    2) we were recruiting 2nd best in sec almost all of those years and probably signed on avg 1 McDonald’s all american per year

The last two years our recruiting classes are 39th and 75th.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. number1

number1 Premium Member

Oct 9, 2011
    What was the team's regular-season record in each season? I'm one of the ones that heavily values regular season performance as postseason success can be heavily affected by so many different variables in a single-elimination tournament (which really makes Coach Donovan's success with 2 championships and multiple Elite 8s and Final Fours very impressive)

Billy Donovan (2001-2005) 115-43 73% (55-25 SEC 69%)
    1 SEC Tournament Title
    1 SEC Regular Season Title
    2 SEC East Division Titles
    5 NCAA Appearances (3-5) during those 5 seasons

Mike White (2017-present) 102-60 63% (54-34 SEC 61%)
    0 SEC Tournament Titles
    0 SEC Regular Season Titles
    1 2nd place finish
    4 NCAA Appearances (would have been 5 due to the pandemic) (5-3)
    1 Elite 8

Also to note the team finished 12-4 3 times during that 5-year stretch with Coach Donovan. Coach White even with 2 extra conference games each season (except this one but still could only max out at 11 wins had the missed games been played) has only won 12 or more conference games 1 time.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 5
  13. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    There WERE several that were posting Billy had reached his zenith / nadir whatever you want to call it during this time.

But in fairness Billy's regular season records were better AND he took UF to the FF in 2000 which exceeds CMW's Great 8 loss.

Hey, no one would be happier than me to see CMW "emerge" and start kicking ass. But after reading 33hoop spin the same (TRUTHS) the last 5 years, 33 is getting my attention.

So I will say UNEQUIVOCALLY that .615 winning % (or whatever it is) and second round exits ARE NOT ENOUGH for this fan. But I'm patient, I just hope that we are not kicking a .615 can down the road AGAIN 3 years from now.

Heck I may not be around!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    From an article by Scott Carter

"Stricklin said recently that he expects White to be Florida's coach for a long time. While outsiders may fret about the program, Stricklin's perspective in grounded in reality. He knows a real crisis from a perceived one."

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Head to head yes but the tournament are essentially the same. Both coaches have reached the elite 8 and that is it. Hamilton has gone to the sweet 16 the other years recently bit that is just literally one more game than Mike White. So I would say Hamilton has not done a better job than White in that regard

16. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think winning that one more game is huge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    Lol...not if that is all you did every year imo. If Hamilton one two more games at least one more time or went to at least one final four then sure. I mean think about it, do you really think the fans that want White fired would all of a sudden be quiet if we won one more game in the tournament each year? I don't think so personally.

18. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I think its difficult to simply put it in a vacuum like that. But yes, I think if Mike white had UF in the sweet16 each year there would be much less griping.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. G8rmann

G8rmann Premium Member

Feb 20, 2014
    It isn’t just about the bottom line here. Through his first six years, Donovan landed some elite recruiting classes, his teams flashed offensive excellence and established a style of play/identity that portended well for the future. Early tournament departures from March Madness revealed flaws but Donovan evolved and things were corrected.

While White has been a good recruiter his teams have not flashed potential excellence in any area. White has not been able to forge an offensive identity and has not been able to translate athleticism into the ability to run or dominate defensively. His teams are consistently pretty good. The loss of Keyonte was a bad break and he still produced his pretty good results.
    I don’t see this as the ceiling for Florida basketball and am unconvinced that White is the coach to get Florida there. Perhaps, the folks who call for more patience will be proven correct but I do not believe that patience should be endless or that we should simply settle for a coach who doesn’t fulfill the program’s proven potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. the_alphagator1906

Nov 26, 2013
    We can agree to disagree then. I don't think there will be much of a difference winning one more game every year from the fan base. It is difficult to put it in a vacuum but like it or not most coaches are judged on what they do in the tournament and if you break it down Hamilton has done less with better teams. I mean literally just one more game. That is it.