Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Luke Kuechly retires at 29.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 14, 2020.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator

Apr 8, 2007
    I first heard of Kuechly when he was at BC, and he was being hyped so much I figured he had to be overrated. Then I watched a BC game and he made just about every tackle on the field.
    He continued that in the NFL.

Good for him to get out now, before all those hits takes an even bigger toll.

I've said this before, if I had a son with the talent, desire and work ethic to become an D1 then NFL linebacker, I don't think I'd encourage it. Just too much chance of longterm issues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Jimmy Brown. One of the greatest of all time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. traveling gator

traveling gator Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    I knew someone would come through with a winner!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Go2gtr

Go2gtr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Smart dude. Maybe him and Luck can start some kind of business that can help others who want out get there securely.

5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I have two thoughts on this issue. First, when you have taken care of your family, why risk your present and future health (as most on here acknowledge). But, second, the fame/adoration aspect is certainly a double edged sword. Your mistakes are very public and you are very young/inexperienced. Many folks who have had great success in life (financial/fame) realize that standing on the mountaintop can lead to many uncomfortable questions: what did I give up to get here? Was it worth it? What do I do now? There is a good book called "The Paradox of Choice" identifying the admittedly first world problem of what guides your life meaning when you can do anything. I know this sounds absurd but I think it explains why many athletes hang on long past their prime.

I believe leaving on your own terms may be a sign of mental, financial health.

6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Unbelievably impressive! So is having the faculties to know when to get out.

“Luke Kuechly was one of only two players to win Defensive Rookie of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year in consecutive seasons; the other was Lawrence Taylor. He also was selected to seven straight Pro Bowls to end his career. The only defensive player with a longer streak was Mike Singletary, who ended his career by going to 10 straight Pro Bowls.”