Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Luke Kuechly retires at 29.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Jan 14, 2020.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Per ESPN: Another young guy walking away. I am not a Panthers fan, but this guy was a stud and a good dude.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Dude was a hell of a player! Too many knocks to the head. I remember distinctively him just not being there after a concussion, was it a Monday night game?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Seems more guys are willing to walk away younger. But NFL money is insane so he should live comfortably the rest of his life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    I believe the concussions had a lot to do with his decision..

LK will go down as one of the greatest to play that position.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Luke Kuechly had the hat trick, size-athletic-smarts. 7 Pro Bowls in 8 seasons. Played one of the toughest positions to stay healthy. Walks away at 28 with more $$$ than he and his family will ever need. Good for him! Hope more guys do this in the future.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Plus dont they get lifetime health insurance

Pro Athletes have it made. Wealth, fame, adoration. The smart ones know how to manage all three well

7. SuperMOM

SuperMOM All American

Jan 31, 2016
    Should have retired a few years ago. He has had too many concussions.

8. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately, most don't know how to manage all three. An astounding number of pro athletes (in football, at least but also in basketball) are broke within 5 years of leaving the league. ESPN did a very informative 30 for 30 on this topic. Some are astute, get good advice and do well, plus get out before the physical toll is too great. But most aren't.

9. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    From the video it seems he really doesn’t want to retire. He’s probably getting a lot of pressure from family members to step away. Good for him for making a tough decision in his best interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Good for him. Enjoy the rest of your life without scrambling your brains.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Not a Panther fan but certainly admired him, terrific player!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TheOriginalTexGator

TheOriginalTexGator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Just ask Wilber Marshal about the NFL's health plan!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    ..or Scot Brantley.

14. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Great player and even better man. Would wish him luck but I doubt if he needs it. He will be a success off the field as well.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Not universal, but the amounts of money the current players make allow for plenty of introspection. I know you have to have "that gene" to get on the field but if you know about others who have broken bodies in their retirement years or worse (CTE and suicides) I have to think taking the money and running is going to happen more and more.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Luke was that dude too! Helluva player.

The league is making it more and more possible for players to walk away at earlier ages of you perform well out the gate during your rookie contract. With the amount of money they are getting on second contracts these days is insane. And forget about the high 1st round picks, those guys can live off their signing bonuses alone. Be smart with the money and decisions and guys can walk like Luke and Gronk.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  17. CockyInSeattle

CockyInSeattle GC Legend

Aug 4, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Good for him. I read an article from a nurse that worked with terminally ill patients and they almost universally had the same regrets; working too much and missing their kids growing up, not putting the needs of their family first, worrying too much about what other people thought of them, and worrying about the future and dwelling on the past, instead of living in the moment.

During the dotcom boom, I worked at a company almost 70 hours a week because we had to be first to market. The company was eventually bought, and I made an extra years salary from the purchase, but I would gladly give it back if I could have had more time with my wife and kids.

All of us should write down our guiding principles and stick to them. For me that means doing what's best for my wife, my kids, and even my pets.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    unless he's dealing with concussions side effects the rest of his life...otherwise yes absolutely

19. traveling gator

traveling gator Sophomore

Mar 7, 2017
    I actually think more players will start looking at this as the manly thing to do. As opposed to the past where you were looked down upon for walking away early. Barry Sanders was the first player I remember walking away before most people assumed he would. Of course I’m only 42 so there was most likely a few before him. I think this progression is great for the game and for the men that play it.

20. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Class act