Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

LSU reportedly considering active SEC coach to replace Paul Mainieri updated:reportedly Jay Johnson

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorGrowl, May 28, 2021.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So we didn't want Lon Kruger when he went to Illinois?

2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was not going to go there

3. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

My point is exactly that! The list is what 1? 2?

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Carol Ross as the Lady Gator Basketball coach?

If we didn't want her we should have.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GolphinGator

GolphinGator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I think the Gator fan support will be better with the new stadium. Also after covid when there were no fans people like me are ready to get back out to a live game. That should help for a year or two. I would be surprised he would leave right after the new stadium was finished but who knows. Florida would attract a pretty good replacement if he did.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. gators4life

gators4life Premium Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Gainesville,FL
    I wasn’t trying to say it in a bad light. Just saying it’s reality when it comes to him leaving.

7. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

You are at 2 in 27 years. And in both cases, UF Men’s Basketball was nothing before Lon and UF Women’s Basketball was nothing before or after Carol. UF baseball had at least finished 2nd in 2005 and had the Lopez era in addition to a number of SEC championships prior to 1990.

The list is short, very short.

8. Kirby

Kirby GC Legend

Sep 14, 2009
    Rocket City
    They are pretty confident over on Tigerdroppings.com that it’s Sully.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-football/its-sully/96562661/

9. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I agree w/ you on this, but off top of head its probably the case w/ most of the big $$ SEC schools. With a few exceptions youve pretty much maxed out if get one of those SEC jobs. I know AU has never lost a HC in the major sports(i include softball) in my lifetime that wasnt asked to leave or retire. Been a few I wanted back..lol.

11. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    ..and the lesser $$ SEC schools lose their guys to the big SEC $$ schools. Itsa monopoly ..;)

12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I have never thought to look it up but you are likely right. Coach Fran moved from A&M to Bama or the reverse. A few re-treads like Nutt. Wasn’t Pat McMahon at MSU prior to UF???

Moving from UF to LSU for baseball makes zero sense. Someone can do it because they are bored, hate the current AD, aren’t getting the “support” they need, etc but there is literally nothing to suggest any of these are the case with Sully.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Just looked it up. Pat was HC at MSU from 1998-2001 prior to UF. Interesting move to be honest. He isn’t from Florida but did go to college at Stetson and coached at St Johns River as well (plus Stetson).

Side note: Pat McMahon is awesome. I only met him a couple times but he is a terrific guy. Sad he didn’t get to hang around though I wouldn’t trade Sully.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Big pay increase at UF? but certainly easier/better recruiting area, especially if already had ties.

and not to harp on the 11.7, but mSU was dealing w/ that then also.. Have since received extra fundings.

15. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    No one answered my Canazarro question, so I looked it up.. HC at Holy Cross...
    ..high school in New Orleans. If all else fails their old asst. right down the road.. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BanditGator

BanditGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Who is saying Sully is gone?

17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    They've raised prices a lot in the new stadium and that will keep a lot of casual fans away. The stadium is beautiful, but McKeithan had $4 General Admission tickets. Now you have to pay $10 to sit on the grass. A lot of older folks like to go to the games and they (we) ain't gonna ruin our backs trying to sit on a blanket for 3-4 hours. Concession prices are ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No, Lon Kruger's problem at FLORIDA was that he could not recruit talent here. I am a huge fan of Lon Kruger (super nice guy from my experience), but he hasn't exactly lit it up at his stops since FLORIDA. A great coach, a mediocre recruiter, not saying FLORIDA is above is level (or at least certainly wasn't back then), but we didn't lose out by losing Lon Kruger, just a bad fit here. I was not at all disappointed that we lost him, and I was very interested in this Jason Williams kid that was coming in (what a "tremendous" jump start!).

Loved beating Illinois in 2000! It solidified that we were better off without Lon.

Go GATORS!
    ,WEGATORS

19. 85gator

85gator Freshman

Jun 23, 2009
    Pat grew up in Jax and graduated and later coached at Bishop Kenny. UF was definitely coming home. He is a great guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I didn’t look up his HS. He was born in NY.