Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

LSU reportedly considering active SEC coach to replace Paul Mainieri updated:reportedly Jay Johnson

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorGrowl, May 28, 2021.

1. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Very surprised by this. Johnson is not a good fit. They will lose recruits over this. I know if two in particular in 2022 class. They will look at other schools now.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Anything that will help UF?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Other than him being mainly a west coast guy, why is this not a good fit? Just curious.

4. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    One of them is taking all 5 visits and UF isn't one of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. jdgator

jdgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That is main part. West coast baseball isn't what it used to be. It's changed a lot. I just don't think it's a good match. Remember it LSU hired a dud after Skip retired.

6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Here's hoping for another "dud".

7. taxman22

taxman22 GC Legend

Jun 1, 2007
    Jacksonville, FL
    Strange hire , IMO. I think they ran out of names.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Two CWS appearances in 6 years including a runner-up. Pretty solid.

The culture fit aspect will take care of itself if he wins. Mainieri was too “quiet” per LSU fans that I know. They want someone with fire that is less polite. I don’t know Jay Johnson and how he fits in regarding demeanor. He is also only 44 meaning he could be around a long time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Arizona pitching coach Nate Yeskie leaving for Texas A&M, per report

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    UF tried the West Coast coach with Lopez.

He was pretty good and got us close to an NC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Then he went back to the West Coast and won a title at Zona (admittedly a number of years later).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Senior

Sep 25, 2016
    Mainieri had something like 6 CWS appearances in 15 years, winning the national title once and a runner-up once. It’s sometimes easy to forget that even making the CWS is incredibly difficult, let alone winning it all. Even at a supposed top 3 baseball program.

It appears that LSU whiffed on Casey, Godwin, Vitello, and Sully. They “settled” for Johnson. Doesn’t seem to be the home-run hire they were going for… more like a wash. Will be interesting to watch for sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

I agree it is a “settle” but the resume is solid. 1 in 3 years CWS. Almost exact number as Mainieri. Mainieri had 5 in 14 years (I ignore 2020) as you stated. Sully has 7 in 13 years (again ignoring 2020).

One West Coast guy that I was certain would do well that didn’t on the East Coast: the Irvine coach who went to Tenn. Can’t remember his name at this exact moment. Serrano?

Lopez was successful at UF. Maybe Johnson is like that??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Senior

Sep 25, 2016
    Yep, not trying to diminish Johnson at all. LSU’s commitment to baseball in general gives him all the resources he needs to be successful. Only big difference going forward for LSU is that there are a LOT more programs across the country taking baseball seriously. Bertman and the 90s aren’t coming back. If Johnson is as successful as Mainieri was (and he was VERY successful in the scheme of things), does LSU force him out in a half decade? More of a reflection on entitled, spoiled, delusional fanbases and wannabe rockstar ADs than anything else, if that makes sense.

15. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

@WESGATORS and I were having a text debate this week on at what point does fan entitlement/pressure hurt a job? Is LSU overrated as a job because the fan base is crazy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Senior

Sep 25, 2016
    Great question. We Florida fans certainly aren’t immune to it- reference the typical post on Swamp Gas and the football recruiting forums. Then again, one could (should?) be able to put up with a ton of crazy delusional fans/boosters for the silly money that comes with a D1 head coaching job…

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Replace LSU with UK and it is a Nothing But Net topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Legend

Jun 30, 2018
    I wish UF had the same fan support for baseball that LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and Miss. St. has. I live 45 miles away and used to go to several games a year at the $4 General Admission price, every now and then paying for a reserved seat at $10. But in the new stadium they charge $10 to sit on the grass and I'm too old for that. They may end up doing to baseball the same thing they've done with football and basketball - price out middle class people, those on fixed incomes and families who just can't afford it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TheBoss

TheBoss Sophomore

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    I agree that UF baseball does a poor job marketing to potential fans. There should be some decent general admission seats SOMEWHERE in the stadium. My hope is the LF side berms will become bleachers in the near future. The berms were around 75% full for the regionals. I see the best resource for future season ticket buyers being parents with baseball/softball-playing kids. A couple of years of games in the bleachers, enjoying great Gator baseball is a good way to generate fans who want season tix and more comfortable seats.

What I don't expect to happen is for any large portion of the Gainesville population to become similar to the people who live in Starkville, Oxford or Fayetteville in their rabid attendance or behavior. A student only section of bleachers behind opposing right- or left-fielders might generate some fun. There were smaller versions of that before the MAC was built, especially in the days of the hill in left.

In summary, just like at the Mac, the athletic administration has the option of marketing baseball and I hope they do it. I'll add that most of the new stadium is sold out with season tickets, so it's general admission that is the variable for future attendance numbers. Take a look at the available seats on the UF site. This year's attendance doesn't reflect what attendance will be in the future.

• Dislike Dislike x 1