Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Losing interest in college basketball

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratorGator, Apr 1, 2021.

1. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas

I'm not saying you should like the impact transfers have on the sport but its hard for me to imagine this kind of freedom not being good for players. I mean, UCLA was just carried to the final four by a former UK bench warmer who Cal never gave enough actual game time to develop. That kid was going to be recruited over year after year at UK unless he'd developed massively during off seasons. He's now the star of his final four team while UK didnt play in the post season.

Coaches aren't always honest when recruiting and recruits can't possible know the team make-up that will exist over their next 4 years. Coaches, who make millions, have freedom to exit at the drop of a hat. Hard for me to see players, unpaid players, being bound to a significantly greater degree all in the name of making coaches jobs easier and helping fans feel continuity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Student Athlete, you can not separate the two. If you cheat on either one of those to gain an advantage then you should be punished.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I still love the game, not that keen on the one-and-done philosophy or the transfer portal but we have benefited from both. As for the tournament, used to try and watch all the games. Used to know most of the players. Only follow Florida in the tournament now, don’t know if that is lack of interest or a product of getting older.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gottapanda

gottapanda Premium Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I still buy lotto tickets when it gets high enough. I haven’t won yet, but I know it’s just a matter of time.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I never get tired of Gator basketball. I was glued to the radio back in the day when we were hardly ever on the tube and struggled through a 7-21 win Don Devoe season. It was painful, but I got to hear us knock off a heavily favored LSU team. I clearly recall Mick going crazy, saying, "And Stacey Poole is taking over!" College hoops... there's nothing like it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. gulfgator

gulfgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gulf of Mexico
    Me too.

Not a fan of histrionics ;~)

7. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Certainly easier to lose interest, as you don’t get to follow players for four years or till they turn pro any longer. More difficult to become a fan of a transfer player or a one and done. However, the same is true in MLB and other sports. Look at the NBA where players can force trades to competitors during season and others are bought out of last two years of contracts during season to go join a championship contending team like the Nets this year. Seems unfair to the fans of other teams and eliminates competitive landscape of league. Don’t watch much sports any longer as a result of all the movement.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with you. I both don't enjoy the new system as much and acknowledge that it is a good thing for players. I don't fault the system, and am glad they have more freedom, but do miss the old way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    That game is the stuff of legends around here. Schintzius quit the team. We only had Dwayne Davis (a PF) down low and were going up against Shaq and Stanley Roberts, two seven-footers. I was in the basketball band and walked across the court prior to the game. When I looked up at Shaq and SR, I just thought "it's going to be a long night." One of the all-time great Gator wins.

• Like Like x 4
  10. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    College sports existed way before UAAs, cable TV or the multimedia outlets we have now. It was pretty good then and was fun. Its big business now, for sure, and has nothing to do with college other than giving the UAA an excuse not to pay players or taxes and admit what it has become, for better or worse. Since the favorite team on this forum bears the name on my diploma I'm more interested in having decent, honorable players and coaches rather than any those who thrive on the margins of acceptable conduct and beyond - ultimatrly the price paid by most for success.

I dont follow any pro teams since there arent many owners or players worth devoting time and money. College sports are getting that way so I guess I follow them more out of an old habit than anything and will continue watching the Gators regardless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I was there and had great seats 4 rows up behind the scorers table. I had seen Stanley Roberts play in high school and actually thought he was going to be the better player between him and Shaq. I guess I was wrong on that one. HA! But what a night watching Dwayne Davis battle with those two big men. AND don't forget they had Chris Jackson. Dale Brown must still be wondering what happened that night going up against a team that had 2 wins and 15 loses in the SEC.

• Like Like x 1