Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Losing interest in college basketball

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratorGator, Apr 1, 2021.

1. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Off topic somewhat but I'm tired of seeing fouls called based on assumptions by refs. I get that basketball is a fast game and it's faster now than ever but unless a ref sees actual contact I'd rather they swallow the whistle. Too many times I see fouls called on body language rather than actual contact. It's a tough sport to official though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I hear you . And can’t argue the elements in which you stated . Guess I’m being selfish and yes probably shortsighted. Just can’t understand a kid is a starter or have matriculated in an academic discipline just get up and leave . It’s now past an individual case it’s a mass exodus. Over 1,900 players in the portal. It can blow up a program. A business can recover but a basketball program it can be an issue. Again you’re points are heard by me. I trend to the side of selfishness on the players . In life could you and I be able leave your company? Yeah if you were offered , but if it happens in the portal world there is an opportunity for tampering and under the table $$$
    It’s a different world we live in and I just hate it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    I lose interest every year about this time, may be related to the fact the season is over?

Weird.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. hogtowngator

hogtowngator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think kids are free to do what they want, and I’m free to react to it however I want. My question is how much of this moving around actually makes a difference? There are something like 2,000 kids in the transfer portal and there are 60 picks in the NBA draft. I can’t imagine that moving from Florida to a school like Louisiana Tech for example is going to make a huge difference. If basketball got you into a premier university like UF and the odds of you making the NBA are something like 1% what’s the point of transferring? A few extra minutes off the grid where fewer people will notice?

I don’t know, it just doesn’t make much sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Sports were more fun when you knew the athletes for a few years but the above is what I reject: blaming the current situation on players. What happened was that the NCAA and schools turned this all into billion dollar businesses. They pay coaches and athletic directors millions. They build Taj Mahal facilities in idiotic arms races that have little long term benefit for the 98% of college athletes that never make a living from sports. And the worst is many help them cheat to get in, cheat to stay eligible, and pay them under the table, while the NCAA pretends to give a damn about academics.

Read the SCOTUS hearing from this week - most judges were incredulous that the NCAA/colleges had the temerity to claim they were amateur sports. Unfortunately for us fans, the genie left the bottle decades ago.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You make a very valid point. It all centers around money which is the death knell for all amateur sports. Remember when the Olympics was amateur? It’s all gone. I don’t know if it’s good, bad or just different. It’s not necessarily on the players but our society in general. Amateurism as a moral standard of some sort is just about gone. Meh. Nothing lasts forever.....except Coach White :)

7. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree with you. I really hate the portal and the new rule.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. College basketball is affected by the refs far more than other sports so just in general the officiating is always gonna underwhelm. A star player can pick up 2 fouls in like 45 seconds and the game is totally different. The teams who play "aggressive defense" like West Va and Virginia thrive on grabbing/holding because they know if you do it every time the refs won't call it every time so they continuously get away with contact on defense. Things have gotten better since the 2013 tourney which was basically prison rules (Louisville won by committing 10 fouls each possession while none were called) but it's never consistent.

9. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    What's causing problems in NCAA basketball?

NCAA study on "One & done":
    Why are players leaving?
    The reality is starkly different.
    I assume this is from media/AAU/sports apparel hyping (using) these players.

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    I agree 100% with this. When guys like Payne, Locke, and Osifo transfer I’m thinking transfer for what? You’re getting the playing time you deserve for your talent level. Some could argue Locke us not an SEC caliber starting shooting guard so he should be over the moon with where he was. They needed to get better through off-season workouts... transferring without doing that isn’t going to do anything. They are not magically going to become pro prospects in a née program.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gottapanda

gottapanda Premium Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I assumed that in most cases they transfer somewhere they will get more playing time, but the stats posted by iam4uf prove that wrong. Apparently they all think they are making the nba and a transfer will help them get there.

I’m sure some percentage transfer for reasons like being closer to home and playing time, but I’m shocked 76% of these guys genuinely believe they’re going to make it on an NBA roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    i don't know, but I would think a lot of these kids have been hyped since they were young and told how great they are. When they meet up with talent that is equal or better than their own it's a bitter pill to swallow in many ways. Aspirations of making millions would be quite normal for a good standout player but unfortunately reality does not equal the dreams.

IMO, it's why it is so important to make the most of the free educations they are receiving then even if they should play professionally they always have that to fall back on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. thetrooper

thetrooper Junior

Oct 28, 2020
    Plus, our program is teetering on irrelevance.

14. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Will never lose interest but my interest will be much higher once we move in a different direction coaching wise.

15. bakaduin

bakaduin GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I used to watch every Gator basketball game no matter what. If we were out I'd be streaming on my phone and my mood (sorry to my wife) was largely tied to if we won or lost. My interest has waned every year since that last Elite 8. Part of it is life, I've got two young kids and a busy work life which doesn't make a ton of time for sports period. That being said, part of it is definitely the revolving door of players and the product on the court. It was a heck of a lot easier to get excited about KeVaughn Allen and Chris Chiozza than it is Egor Koulechev and Kerry Blackshear. Not a knock on those guys, they were fun players to watch for a year, but the part I like about college basketball is seeing the players grow. You can't tell me it wasn't an absolute blast to see Casey Prather go from afterthought to stellar college player over four years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    ^^^^^^^
    Well said. My feelings as well.

17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Transfers don't really bother me. I've never liked the fact that a 17 yr old could get locked into a bad situation for years with only minimal recourse. We now have the College version of free agency which also changed the pro game, moving power from owners to players.

The thing that increasingly kills my interest is the ncaas incompetence and the ability of certain schools to get away with rampant cheating. Looking at you lsu, auburn, unc, etc etc.
    Maybe it's too close to Florida's loss but I have less and less tolerance for bad officiating. Basketball is probably the toughest sport to officiating, but some of the calls are just suspiciously bad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    SEE: Dissonance, Cognitive
    SEE ALSO: Effect, Dunning-Kruger

19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    This x 1000

20. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Well that's probably way down from the 99% of them that think they will make it to the league when they sign their scholarship papers.