Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Losing interest in college basketball

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratorGator, Apr 1, 2021.

1. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    A friend & I have been talking about this more & more lately. Not just basketball but college football as well. There was a time when I could tell you the high school & pro team of almost every UF player of these sports. I was in favor of their ability to easily transfer, but I think it's destroying the team identity & my reason to care about who is on the team or their success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    You're arguing technicalities. That doesn't change the fact it exposed the farce of their "student athlete" just because they were deft enough to claim plausible deniability. They were exposed as an instution that facilitates their program without integrity. No I'm not naive enough to believe they are alone but this was the definition of institutionalized cheating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Agreed. Why should it bother us when a kid makes a decision that he thinks is best for his future?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Nope. My interest has not wavered. I hate to cast aspersions, but when I hear statements like that I wonder how much you actually enjoyed the game to begin with. Sure, the new high rate of transfers can be frustrating if you lose talent like Nembhard, but it also adds excitement and a new dynamic when you lose players who aren’t working out like Locke, Osifo and Payne and get to reload with more talent. Same people complaining about this are completely nuts about their redraft fantasy football leagues. Transfers adds some of that nuance into the sport.

In summary, the game is still just as exciting to me.

5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    I think selfishly it's okay to want kids to stay 4 years. I don't fault them for leaving though, just makes the sport not as enjoyable to follow as it used to be. Is what it is.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Totally fair. I never want the guys to leave. But you also seem like the kind of guy that isn't going to berate a player for making a biz decision -- some will.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If this was true they would still be begging guys in the work:study programs to fill out the roster every other game and playing on an outside court. The reason these games aren't the equivalent of the Quiz Bowl teams in college are because of their audiences.....no audience, no real interest = no money and no schollies and no semi-professional student - athletes playing them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Nope. I'm the type of guy that enjoys when bands have their songs on commercials. People gotta do whats best for them

9. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Its simple if you are paying attention: Because they did it to benefit their Sports teams and the definition of "Lack of Institutional Control" was demonstrated in spades in this case unless such control is defined by everyone from the Board on down knew exactly what they were doing to keep academically challenged athletes in school and making progress toward bogus degrees such that the school wouldn't suffer ATHLETICALLY.
    Absolutely agree.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tmape01

tmape01 Sophomore

Apr 18, 2007
    the Supreme Court is about to blow a hole straight through the NCAA this Summer - kids will start coming back to College Basketball with some fair compensation.

hold tight, ye of little faith

11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Well if I was interested in watching Pro Basketball, I would watch the NBA...so no doubt that development will hasten the demise of my (and many others like me) interest (and funding) in College Sports in general.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    The product on the floor is suffering immensely, imho, no great teams and very few really good teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    I'm not old enough to know for sure but I assume many fans felt the same way when major changes took place in the past. Something like the emergence of free agency is probably an example. Eventually, fans just think its normal, even if it takes a while. Future generations won't even have to adjust. It'll be all they know.

I think the politization of sports, that we've seen in the past year or two, actually stands to hurt the popularity of sports more than a change like NIL.

We all have our preferences, and our rights to them, but I find it hard to believe that enough fans will simply stop watching/supporting due to players being able to make money from their NIL. I believe lots will say that they will but its hard to imagine ratings taking a massive hit.

The reason the NCAA not hammering UNC bothers me is because of the fact that they actually do get involved in aspects related to the legitimacy of the academic/student side of athletics. They deem some high schoolers as not being academically eligible. Maybe they should or maybe they shouldn't. But, if they should, then they should also care about the legitimacy of the education received - or that it is at least genuinely attempted. The NCAA would say that Player "A" cannot play sports at a university that accepted him due to questionable legitimacy of grades or test scores while he was in high school. They do this to protect the sanctity of what college athletics is. But then they say they don't care, or have the right to, if player "B" is enrolled at a university but isn't actually obtaining any sort of attempt at education?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

I swear I am thinking exactly that. Just sick of all this in football too.
    Just don’t need it much anymore

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

How can a starter or two on any given team go to the portal and yield a good ending for fans and sometimes the player? It’s a bad dynamic for college sports . It’s bs and truthfully I am losing interest by the day. But for me I play golf 4 times a week so my interest is to that . Play Pickleball too and I like that . It’s like I’m not needing college sports like I once did . Keep in mind this is just me .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    My major complaint is not about the roster or the portal, but the rules that turn any close game into a foul shooting contest at the end of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

With the new High School pro league being started? $ 100k minimum. What hs kid is not going to

18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Finishing the sentence ...Jump on that ^^^^

19. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    I think everyone has their right to how they feel, I just don't think we are considering what is best for the kids.

Let's be real 99% of these athletes could never decide "I want to be a doctor and use my athletic ability to pay my college tuition"; you'll never survive a Gen Chem or Physics class. For most of them they are not able to fully extract the full value of that education.

So sports becomes the ticket -- now say the system they are in changes, or someone starts taking their minutes...if you want to go pro you need to have to have tape, as well as be part of a program that is helping you develop. Starter or not, there are multiple things these kids have to consider to maximize their future. Therefore I can't fault a kid nor say its "bs" or hate the sport because it is hard out there, and these kids have to do what is best for them.

Say you own a company, and your best worker finds a better opportunity to maximize his future, are you really going to get mad at him for making a move?

I'm rambling here, but I get it, it sucks to see Gators move on -- but this isn't about us. I'll watch the Gators no matter what, and I think its shortsighted when people get upset at these kids.

20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    WHAT BROTHER HALL?

ALL of GC knows U R pulling the strings at the UAD Hall!!!
    E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 1