Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Losing interest in college basketball

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GratorGator, Apr 1, 2021.

1. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Anybody else? One or two and done. Now the transfer portal. I understand this is now our reality. Guess I'm just old school.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    They should adopt the college baseball rules.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I'm sure I will get the ole "get off my lawn" responses but while I can't always have a little excitement for anything florida gators related I haven't cared for college basketball overall for a while now. Part of that was the lack of fallout of any kind for the UNC scandal and now LSU as well as others but mostly it is the one and done that has drained my interest.

I'm 42. When I was growing up I knew about a variety of teams rosters throughout the country because they were there 3 to 4 years and eventually you learned about them. They developed a recognition and brand to the point where I knew most everyone in the first 2 rounds of the NBA draft. The players entered the league with that brand recognition and skill development which made the NBA more interesting for me as well but thats for another discussion.

It wasn't all better back then though. The 45 second shot clock made for a much slower paced game which isn't always bad but 45 seconds was too long for a possession. Not that I enjoy the 3 ball chuck that today's game has become either though

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I do find that if it becomes the norm that players don't stick around for 3-4 years and instead transfer around then I won't be as vested in a team. Getting to know players is part of the reason you care about a team. If KJ was a player who had just transfered into UF and had his health issue, I guarantee it wouldn't have been such a gut punch to so many of us.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    For me football is much worse. You can sharpie in 3 of the 4 teams every year for the playoffs. OSU, Bama, Clemson. They all cheat and everyone knows it. Everybody else just doesn't cheat as well. Everyone else is just vying for who can cheat the best that season to make the 4th playoff spot on any given year. I don't follow it nearly as closely as I used to.

As for basketball, I also agree. It sucks because I think kids should be able to transfer without penalty once, but it also helps ruin the sport. And the fact that Will Wade is still coaching is pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    College basketball isn’t 1/10 of the product it used to be.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Still love it. You have to remember this isn't about the fans, its about the kids.

College is about these kids finding a spot for them to excel both academically and athletically. We know that they are too busy with the sport to really focus on their academics and study something of value; So they should be able to freely move in the offseason for whichever is best for their future as an athlete.

Once you understand that, it sucks to see a player you like move on, but the stakes of the game haven't changed for the Gators. March Madness is still March Madness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Disagree, without the fans you'd have ......... women's college basketball.
    Nothing against the women's sport but they are lucky to get 400-500 for a Gator home game in a non covid year or even charge more than $5 to get in. Other than the TV revenue you can't support the program without fans coming. The domino effect is the longer the fans stay away the fewer that will watch on TV. And once the TV money goes away so do the programs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

I still care.....just not as much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fda92045

fda92045 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2012
    Bruh aint no one gonna stop watching the tournament. Ever.

And you're still going to watch the Gators because they are the gators. It'll be the same for all fans.

11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Love the game still, just upsetting our Gators are struggling.

12. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Regarding your “unc scandal” comment. What did Unc athletics do wrong? Absolutely nothing. It is not the job of the NCAA to monitor the legitimacy of an academic institution. It is not an NCAA violation to be an over rated academic institution with bogus classes.
    The bigger question is how UF has not passed UNC as an academic institution after UNC admitted that they are close to a fraud as a school. UNC has been the most over rated school for years and their days are numbered being ahead of UF IMO.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  13. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm with you as I have written several comments on this aspect in the past. In the 90's my Gator sports preference was football, men's basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, and so on. Now my favorite Gator sport is baseball, because I know more about the players and thus the game is more interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gogators73

gogators73 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 30, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Remember when we were ranked #1 in 2003 for like 7 hours and went into Rupp and got hammered? I’d watch that game a million times before a lot of games these days. At least that game had college players that loved their school. When players love their school you can feel it in games. I still love college basketball, but it is currently broken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Matherly87

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    The tournament is only part of the season and other than the two Gator games I've watched only parts of 2-3 the other tourney games. Nothing like I used to. I used to take the Friday off on the first weekend and gorge all day long.

As far as the Gators, I used to plan my day around the basketball games and go any chance I got. Now I only go to games whenever asked to be with my friends. As to any games on TV I'll watch if its convenient. Point is my basketball interests in general are getting less and less.

16. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not much longer. These kids want to get paid and not talking about the NBA. Here comes semi-pro basketball and academics is just something you got to overcome. They are that short sighted. Welcome to the brave new world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Absolutely nothing? Ok

• Like Like x 1
  18. airgator96

airgator96 Junior

May 16, 2007
    I have become less interested in Major sports (NCAA or Pro), to much whining, transferring, politics, and covid-19.

I don't think it will ever be what it once was.

19. Bowiegator

Bowiegator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    They did a lot wrong as a university of higher learning but what ncaa violation did they commit?

20. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    My interest is just as high as its ever been. Most of the stuff I have no control over so I try not to let it bother me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1