Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Looks like the "Gun" has spoken in North Carolina Tilly

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, Apr 29, 2021.

1. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I think you would be safer in one where the wait staff is open carrying.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  2. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks, but I like my wait staff to carry things like bread, pasta, and tasty beverages. Guns? I have little reason to believe Johnny the gun-totin' waiter makes me or my wife safer.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    They can still carry all those items to your table.

If I was as scared of guns as you, I’d probably feel the same way. Each to their own.

4. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Have you ever worked in a restaurant? The busboy with an addiction to Crystal meth? The dishwasher who's dad hit him with a hammer as a kid and has an IQ of 70? The GM who commits suicide. As the silent partner who invested in a restaurant, I saw all of that. If you want open carry without background checks and not even the licensure requirements we require to get a driver's license, you are not paying attention.

Maybe there is a reason the US leads the first world in gun deaths and mass shootings... and it is partially influenced by the easy uncontrolled access to guns, no?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks. I'm deathly scared of guns. Apparently, they are capable of putting bad holes in people. OTOH, I admire all those strong, cool, tough guys and gals who feel they need a gun while enjoying a restaurant. I wonder what they're scared of?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think having servers armed is a subversive Republican attempt to undermine the campaign to increase the minimum wage by ensuring extra generous tipping

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

In fairness, why are the ones NOT carrying guns the ones you assume are scared? I think we are ALL concerned here. I support your right to have your gun, but me not wanting my waiter to have one is no more a sign of fear than those who think they need to carry one.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    Well, there was the concern about cross-fire with so many armed patrons and staff.

9. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I can just see it now. "Whattya mean no tip sucka! Pay up or I'll put a cap in your a**!" :eek::D

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Guy who wants to sit quietly and eat dinner at a restaurant: Scared

Guy who carries a visible weapon to show how tough he is: Not scared

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    We lead the world in gun deaths because we have more messed up people. People will acquire guns illegally if not available to them legally. Each restaurant can set their rules re open carry. I doubt a restaurant owner would let the type of people you describe carry a gun while working.

How many restaurants where staff open carry are robbed or murdered?

I’ll eat at an open carry restaurant any day of the year and not be scared.

Like I said, each to their own.

12. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    It’s not the not carrying it’s the ones who are worried about those that do. I have no issue with someone being concerned about open carry. It’s just that I’m not and I have 29 years and 10 months of LEO experience and a personal experience that has built my opinion about guns.

Each to their own.

• Like Like x 1
  13. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gotta remove suicides (not a gun problem) and agree on what is defined as a 'mass shooting' (many of the commonly used definition end up being gang-related violence or shootings arising out of other criminal activity, which have entirely different causes than something like Columbine, Vegas, or Parkland) before we can have a meaningful discussion and actually address causes.

The more armed patrons and staff, the lower the likelihood of anyone actually having to use their guns. The deterrent factor is significant. Open carry makes that deterrent factor more explicit, but it's a tactical tradeoff if you're one of the one or two open carrying. It's not a coincidence that mass shootings tend to disproportionately occur in gun free zones or communities where there is a low likelihood of encountering armed resistance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Guy who is bothered by open carry is scared of the person who is armed. I don’t open carry. Sorry, but it just doesn’t bother me when others do. Statistics show they are not the ones you have to worry about.

Like I said, each to their own.

15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agreed, but I do have a big problem with big displays of weaponry at political rallies or protests. I think that is plainly intended to signal intimidation.

But in my reading, and I won't claim that I've never missed anything, concealed carry types have not caused problems. Of course I do worry that as it becomes more pervasive that will prove to be the case. The larger the concealed carry community gets, the more likely you're going to get people who are not as responsible

16. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Statistics also show that nobody is going to murder your family in the middle of Olive Garden. You're not Tony Soprano.

17. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People don't generally carry weapons to show how tough they are. You do realize that, right?

Re: carrying openly versus concealed, some of that is probably wardrobe and comfort-driven. Some of it is deterrence.

re: rallies and protests, I hope you consider Molotov cocktails, baseball bats, and such to be displays of weaponry, too. Generally the violence has not been from the folks who are armed with guns.

2A-oriented rallies such as the one in VA also have a legitimate free speech purpose, fully acknowledging they will make people uncomfortable.

18. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't mind open carry, a lot of my appraiser buddies did that when they were out in the field. Sometimes we get assignments in some pretty sketchy areas. I chose not to, and I never had any issues when inspecting in those sketchy neighborhoods. As Homer said, to each their own.

19. helix

helix VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Statistics show that you overwhelmingly aren't going to get murdered in general. Or have your house burn down, or get struck by lightning, etc.

Doesn't mean go dance outside in an open field in a thunderstorm or don't buy a fire extinguisher

20. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Agree. Well said.