Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Looks like all athletes in Spring sports will get a red shirt for 2020

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by johnny_cakes, Mar 13, 2020.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes All American

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    If I'm reading this correctly, looks like the NCAA has taken the first step towards giving everyone a red-shirt.

A statement from the NCAA Division I Council Coordination Committee:
    • All Division I sports will operate under the guidelines of a recruiting DEAD period from now until April 15, 2020.
    • The Council Coordination Committee agreed that it will be appropriate to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports.
    • The committee recognizes that several issues need to be addressed related to providing an additional season of competition, including financial aid implications.
    • Conferences and institutions should make decisions and take action in the best interests of their student-athletes and communities without first seeking approval through an interpretation or waiver. For example, institutional discretion should be used to provide appropriate support, benefits, and expenses to student-athletes as adjustments are made to academic and athletics schedules.

2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That's the easy part. Figuring out roster and scholarship limits is the real problem.
    You have already signed an incoming freshman class to replace graduating seniors, don't have room to keep everyone under existing limits. Do you expand rosters for one year? By how much? Does every school get the same roster expansion even if they don't have the same number of seniors? It's a mess

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

From what I read the NCAA is actually responding with, ahem, dare I say it?....intelligence.

Aware that there will be #'s and $$$ issues they are working on getting in Frosh classes and keeping those who also want to redshirt. Of course, you are spot on that the devil is in the details. I can deal with bitching about what is fair with the idea that they are trying to get this part right.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good points. Great they are thinking this way. Just don’t know, like you said, how they do it with numbers for a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Doesn't this continue to play out for the next four years?

For example, a freshman this year would have finished eligibility by the end of the 2023 season, but with everyone red-shirting, that same freshman will be taking up a roster spot in 2024. Likewise current sophomores/juniors will be on the five-year red-shirt plan.

Seems like its going to be more competitive for current high school players to have a college career since there will be be veterans on the roster who all have an extra year of eligibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Let's hope MLB doesn't complicate things any further by delaying their draft

7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Like Like x 4
  8. alysb21

alysb21 Freshman

Jan 8, 2019
    Anyone heard if Reynoso will return?

9. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Would be a big plus if she did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Assuming the roster limits are expanded adequately, UF softball would be the big benefactor in all this due to a large and decent quality senior class. 6th year for Reynoso and 5th year for Lindaman,Chronister, Caraway, Roberts and Hoover is a lot of unexpected returning talent. One might argue it would make for a very clogged up roster with 6 freshman arriving and Kinsey Goelz gaining eligibility after sitting out this year. Would guess 2-3 current roster players might test the portal, or a couple of those seniors decide not to use the extra year....for example Chronister is already in grad school and there are 2 pitchers in the recruiting class as well as every other pitcher returning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    How exactly does this work? If you are a senior and actually graduate (and aren't planning on grad school), can you still play for another year even if you are not taking any classes?

Either way, seems like a financial hit. My daughter didn't play sports but since I was footing most of the bill, I was pretty adamant that she needed to graduate from UF in four years -- no academic red shirt allowed!

12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I have heard proposals where Seniors wouldn’t count against roster spots and scholly limitations. If they did that, it sorts out the numbers issues but it doesn’t sort out the cost to the schools.

13. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm sure they will have to be enrolled in classes. Either finishing up a degree or grad school. The kids would have their ships intact so no financial hit to them, the school would have the added expense, but it's not that many kids in the big picture so the cost wouldn't be prohibitive.

My big issue is the playing field won't be level. UF softball has a big senior class. What about a school that has no seniors to bring back? UF could in theory have 6 more roster players than the competition. And there would be sports where UF likely would be at a competitive disadvantage. Tough nut to crack....I guess I would err on the side of the kids and give the extra year and hope the inequalities don't really add up to much.

14. GboroGator

GboroGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    We have had some roster attrition the past couple of years from non-seniors, I would expect you would see that again. Those that could see they weren't going to get any playing time this year, might decide to leave with an expanded roster in 2021. Coach Walton tends to stick with the same group of ten or 11 position players no matter the opponent.

15. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

This is a tweet from Kendall last night. The speculation in his feed from others is the power fives are the bigs. It could also be the ten and the pac.

From Kendall:

Playing the hypothetical game based on intel.

1) There’s a legitimate chance no one gets a year back. Two Power Fives want no one to get a year back, and anyone familiar with the D1 Council knows that ‘could’ spell trouble.

16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably the same two that opposed 3rd paid assistant for baseball; the same two conferences that haven't won a championship since before FSU's most recent title.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't get me started, still can't believe that happened

18. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Today the Division I Council will meet, remotely, to discuss and vote on “eligibility relief.” It will be interesting to see not only what they decide, but how much they decide.

While the big issue is "do you get an extra year," the Washington Post had a very interesting, very long article discussing all the different issues that go along with that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/03/26/ncaa-eligibility-relief-explained/

Clearly this forum has a smart bunch of users, cuz almost all the potential issues were identified and discussed in this thread.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

No details yet--but apparently the vote passed today. 1 extra year for all spring sports athletes.

• Like Like x 2
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Good if it passed.
    Many will choose not to come back as they want to get their careers started, and those that do, at least at UF, we can afford to carry for a year. Might be a strain on smaller schools, but it’s the right thing to do.