Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Looking ahead to next year

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by jmac83, Feb 9, 2018.

1. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    We're all still focused on this season, I know, I know. But I'm curious which returning players the board thinks have upside to improve their games substantially, i.e. we haven't yet seen their best basketball.

This is my rough report card.

Done Well, Could Show Even More
    Hudson (a very good ball-driver and dangerous defender when he puts his mind to it)
    Maybe KeVaughn (just a hunch but I think when Egor departs, he comes out of his shell – more, not all, of the time)

Shown Flashes, Off-Season Work Could Pay Off
    Okauru (seems a bit intimidated by game speed but has a nice motor and a decent shooting eye)
    Gak (shown a willingness, if not foot speed, to chest-up on defense. A nice passer and our one guy I can see as posting on the block and kicking to an open shooter, but we never seem to try that)
    Bassett (like Gak a willing defender, but still a grabber at this stage. Surprisingly quick off his feet)

Barely Seen the Kid, Have to Assume Potential
    Ballard (don’t lose your confidence, kid)
    Johnson
    Stokes

They Are Who They Are, For Good and Bad
    Stone (physical gifts to be a consistent force in this league, but questionable willpower)
    Hayes (at his bulk and with his hands, this is what he can give you)
    Maybe KeVaughn (there will be witness protection program moments next year, count on it)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Gator_84_88

Gator_84_88 Gator Great GFL VIP Member Trusted GC Insider

Jun 19, 2008
    Christiana, Tennessee
    Keith Stone has really stepped up this year and i love when the combo of Chiozza, Hudson and Stone are on the floor. I truly don't know what has happened to Allen. Egor helps with the rebounding but i wish his shot would return with his rebounding. Anyway...he will be gone next year and i'm hoping someone steps into his shoes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Ballard has shown a lot of ability as a scorer. He should definitely be in the grouping above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    Chase Johnson will be the one who could make the biggest impact out of all unknowns next season. If he's versatile enough to play the 3 or 4 at a high level, that gives us the options of giving Hudson, Stone, or Hayes some minutes on the bench without missing a beat (sliding Stone to the 5 temporarily if Hayes comes out). I actually thought Chase was a better option at the 4 than Stone at one point.

Hayes and Stone will be very experienced by next season and could be one of the strongest frontcourts in the conference with an added year in the strength program. I firmly believe they will show a lot of improvement in year 3.

Nembhard will be in the running for SEC FOY. He's intelligent, athletic, confident, physically ready, and has weapons to work with. Expect him to run the show at PG from game 1. Not a knock on Okauru, I think he's a great backup option.

Players I'm still not sure about.... Ballard - seems overwhelmed out there after coach took away his green light, the game will slow down for him eventually. Gak - his potential and effort are there but the results are iffy. Stokes - weight issue and defense might be lacking, not sure he sees much time next year. Bassett - still very raw but effort is there.

I'd love to see Hudson improve his free throw shooting. I'm sure Allen would already like to put this year past him, and an offseason will be the best thing for him. Both players have all-SEC potential obviously.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mcogator

mcogator All American

Nov 22, 2016
    Carson, CA
    Hudson is most likely going pro after this year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ncgator91

ncgator91 Junior

Dec 16, 2017
    Good luck to him in Europe or the NBA-D, G, F, or whatever they call it now League

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great job Cincy. My thoughts exactly on everyone you mentioned. I believe Nembhard to be that good as well but I have tempted my guess that he will run the show from day one. Without him all we have is Okauru and it won't be Allen. So Nembhard has a shot from game one but I would think it might take 7-8 games to figure that out.

8. flwgator2

flwgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Locke can play PG as well.

9. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Good point but his shooting ability would best fit at SG. If we didn't have Nembhard then I would look at Locke again at PG. Many scouts have said that Locke is one of the best shooters in the 2018 class.

10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Hopefully Stokes is 100% healthy and contribute next year. Otherwise we could be playing some serious small ball.

If GAK really needs micro-fracture surgery, could his 2018-2019 season be in jeopardy?

It's really tough to get excited about next year until the front-court looks more stable.

I really like our guard recruits, but replacing Chiozza will be a tall order. Without a MUCH improved front-court my expectations are tempered. Just making the NCAA next year would be a good result. White needs to step it up as far as recruiting bigs. Not that he needs "numbers", it's really just about getting that ONE player. He needs his Noah or Patrick Young.

11. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    I'm with Cincy & Maherly. I think Hudson is gone, almost for sure, which opens a spot for Williams, possibly.

The 3 new Frosh (2 of whom were mentioned above), all have strong possibilities and will be needed, because Wing is Thin this year, with only 6 players, one of whom, 3Gor, is doubling as a PF due to all the Big Injuries. Only having 6 guys for 3 positions is the situation this year, and will apparently be true next year also, with the loss of Chiozza, 3Gor & almost surely Hudson. Usually, numbers wise, you want 4 or 5 Bigs (5/4s), and 7-8 small/wings, not 7 bigs and 6 wings like this year. Of course, when 4 Bigs are injured, that Really HURTS! Hopefully this won't occur next year also.

Regarding more to show, it's pretty clear that every player on the team could improve, but I look for Ballard, Johnson & Okauru to show the biggest improvement.

12. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Johnson taking off his warmup sweats would be an improvement

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ncbullgator

ncbullgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hudson is an NBA player. He's gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Agree that he is an NBA player. And he is mentioned as a mid second rounder on some mock drafts. But if he returns he could be one of the best college players in the country. What is best for him? I think he is an absolutely great kid and wish him the best, it’s just that it is easy to slip out of the draft and get buried overseas. Then it is hard to come back. I don’t think it is quite as clear as you suggest.

15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

I think Stone is going to end up being a very good player here. Huge improvement over last season and even this season to date. I really like his game. He kept them in the LSU game early....and though he struggled vs USCe today he gobbled up a lot of boards and blocks. That shows me he has an improving motor. Never found his offense today, but played hard in other areas.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Like what we saw out of the young guys today.

18 points and 9 boards combined.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The 3 new additions may be very talented, but coach White will not put on the floor if they can’t adjust to and play SEC defense. If not getting back on D, getting in guys chests to prevent open looks at 3 point range, and hustling 110, then they will not get the minutes their hoping for. Hoping Gak shows improvement after his micro fracture surgery after the season is over, but tough for a big to come back from

18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I posted on the game thread: 10 players with 12+ minutes. THAT is a good sign for the next year.

BTW, Hudson is NOT an NBA player. He is dynamic, just not NBA athletic. Today was a very good example. Get drafted in the second round? Maybe, depending upon who in Europe is wanting to come over here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Nembhard is known for his defense and his ball handling. I'm not sure about Locke & Johnson, but most frosh take a while to adjust to SEC-type competition, that's what the OOC is for.

20. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Gak used the right way is a wonderful defensive weapon. I keep hearing about what he can't do… Would love to focus on what he can do

• Agree Agree x 2