Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

long gone gainesville institutions

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by buckeyegator, Dec 19, 2015.

1. fatclyde

fatclyde Recruit

Jun 1, 2018
    Exceptional...Pearl's in Micanopy. Best in this quadrant of the solar system.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
  3. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I think I hit that place many many years ago, forgot all about it because I didn't usually come up 441 to G'ville. Probably was in the '90's if it was there then, but it sure looks/sounds familiar.

4. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    it is about 8 miles from our place, tried it 20yrs ago, not impressed then but may have to give it another try, I wish Rocky would open another Woodyard Grill south of Gvl on 441, love food but Irvine to Newberry is a hike

5. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 All American

Nov 25, 2013
    Late to the party...the two institutions I went to the most were Central City and Dubs. Loved those.

6. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Really dating my self here, but does anyone remember 5-cent beer night at Sonny's?

7. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    As a kid I loved going to Manero's

8. flgator2

flgator2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Aw Shucks seafood and Oyster bar on 43st and 16th Blvd, Cucos Mexican restaurant off Archer Rd used to get .25 cent tacos and .50 cent draft on Wednesday's, CJ'S and the Original Yearling restaurant in Crosscreek

• Like Like x 1
  9. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Manero's was a place I used to enjoy for the food & atmosphere and the Yearling was terrific until it was sold, went down hill in a hurry. I probably miss arts as much or more than all the others, Larry's downtown and Little Larry's were places I liked as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. luregator

luregator Freshman

Apr 25, 2007
    Ormond Beach, FL
    I loved Snuffy's. My fishing buddy was the manager and he would always make me look good when I brought dates there. My 1st Black and Blu burger....

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I was a prep cook at Snuffy's during the summer of '93. Those were good times. Fun folks and good food. I loved making the from-scratch caesar dressing.

12. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    It's nice to read these sentiments about The Yearling. My aunt and uncle, Ben and Lillian Wheeler started the restaurant and ran it for years after converting the restaurant portion of their Sportsman's Haven Fish Camp on Cross Creek into the popular restaurant. My aunt was an excellent cook and many of the popular dishes served were from her personal cookbook. Holiday dinners in her home were always a treat.

They ran the fish camp and restaurant for 27 years, selling the restaurant after Aunt Lillian had a heart attack and was told by her doctor to 'take it easy.' She and Uncle Ben lived their retirement years in a home they built behind the restaurant on land they cleared from hammock and an old tangerine grove. Uncle Ben died in 1985 and she passed in 2007.

Lillian Rose Wheeler's Obituary on Gainesville Sun

WHEELER, LILLIAN ROSE Cross Creek - Lillian Rose Wheeler, of Cross Creek, FL passed away on Wednesday May 9, 2007 in Gainesville, FL. She was born in Los Angeles, California and moved to Cross Creek 56 years ago. She and her late husband Ben, owned and operated the Sportsman's Haven fish camp, later converting the camp's restaurant into the Yearling Restaurant. Following retirement she volunteered with the Cross Creek Volunteer Fire Department and was very active in her church, Cross Creek Baptist Church, 18921 South County Road 325 Cross Creek, FL, where her funeral services will be held on Saturday May 12, 2007 at 11:00 am.

https://marjoriekinnanrawlings.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Newsletter-Winter-2017-1-3-17.pdf

From1968 to1970, my parents, Bob and Estelle Carson, were the first weekend hosts
    at Marjorie’s home, giving tours to anyone who happened to stop by. They would
    leave Gainesville Friday after classes, drive to Cross Creek, move into Marjorie’s home
    and get ready to greet visitors the next morning. They lived in her house, slept in her
    bed, cooked in her kitchen, and did this every Saturday and Sunday for two years. In
    the evening, they would go to The Yearling Restaurant and have a bite to eat. My dad
    would take his viola and entertain folks while waiting to be served. The owners, Ben
    and Lillian Wheeler, and the Carson’s became good friends. My Dad, a talented art-
    ist, drew many scenes of Cross Creek and the Rawlings house and grove. Today, there
    are some thirteen of his pen and ink sketches hanging on the walls of The Yearling
    Restaurant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    @lacuna
    used to go there in late 70s and then the 80s one of the secretaries in our office was engaged to the son of the owner or manager, she would waitress after work and on weekends, first name was Julie, the relationship didn't workout.
    I have not been since it's moist recent reopening, have you? Used to go out to CC to visit with Kate Barnes sometimes to discuss politics and conservation issues

14. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    I haven't eaten there since 2003 or 2004 or so when we met my aunt, cousin and 2 of her daughters for dinner one evening. Food was good but nothing outstanding. My aunt received 1st class service and deferential treatment. She was well respected by the then management.

The Yearling restaurant was expanded from the footprint of the original fish camp restaurant and its attached living quarters. My aunt and uncle and 3 children lived in the tiny 3 bedroom, 1 bath apartment for about 10 before they built and moved into a spacious 3 bedroom 2 bath house immediately behind the restaurant. They lived there for about 5 years, as best I remember, selling it to the people who also bought The Yearling, as I recall. By then their kids were all married and they wanted something smaller. They built a small 2 bedroom house that fronted the highway a hundred yards or so south of the restaurant. They found it was too small, so built a larger home behind it on the road that ran beside the restaurant and curved back towards the highway, connecting beyond its curve. It was there she spent her last years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Norcaligator

Norcaligator GC Hall of Fame

Sep 21, 2007
    I was wondering if anyone would mention Aw Shucks. I was a cook there for a couple of years - fun place to work and great people to work with. Loved the wings made with Chrystal Hot Sauce. One of the chefs, Merritt O'Brien, was really creative. I still have and use some of his recipes.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Murphy NC
    Amazing brisket

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Thanks! This is back in my era.

There are so many places on this thread I never heard of that I was about to dig out my diploma and make sure I went to UF. Now I'm craving a KA Special from that place that wasn't Alan's Cubana.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    That would have been Shelley's. Alan's Cubana was located at the north end of a shopping strip that ran perpendicular between University Ave and 1st Ave or Place. Shelley's was almost directly across 1st from Alan's in a small building next door to the Gator Groomer laundramat / dry cleaner.

Alan and Shelley Lederman were brothers from the Miami area and despised one another. Shelley opened his sub and pizza business across from Alan's store to spite him and sabotage his business. The location was intentional as Shelley wanted to rub Alan's nose in his success and would do anything to under cut Alan's business.

I worked part time for Shelley answering the phone for take out orders one term (before I turned 21 and went to work at Dub's as a cocktail waitress. Money was better and Trucker and I were dirt poor broke students). Shelley was a mean S.O.B. who rarely smiled, almost always walked around with a scowl on his face, yelling when irritated. He yelled a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I just want to go on record saying that you have an amazing memory. I enjoy your reminiscences.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. leftcoastgator

leftcoastgator Ambivalent Zealot Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sonoma, CA
    Thanks!

I remember where they were located now. Used to go to the barber next door to Alan's, on the rare occasion I needed a haircut. I used both places for delivery a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1