Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

LOI Thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Feb 5, 2020.

1. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    All true, I believe we have a solid foundation on which to build. Now we need to continue with solid classes with the addition of a player in which other teams have to game-plan around.

2. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Behavioral economics experiments suggest a 2:1 ratio of loss:gain. That $100 loss hurts twice as much as the $100 gain feels good.
    It’s all in Richard Thaler’s book Misbehaving.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mkfgator

mkfgator Junior

Aug 28, 2019
    None of those guys on whom the experiments were conducted could add, and they all looked like rats.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Reading signing day threads reminds me of someone who listens to other's anxieties...

But I got off the ledge and found myself pretty pleased.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

You know CoachJohnny Majors who coached at Tenn dad was Shirley.. of course you did . Shirley was a hell of a football coach .

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    What’s or who s Ivins?

8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

This is a pretty sorry post ! Reeks of a lot of things here. Pretty disappointing, !

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Many bring up our rank in the SEC but it would be interesting to see how past classes ranked retroactively to see if those SEC rankings held true to their signing day class ranking. Personally I don't think its possible to accurately rank to the specific number position of a class. It's more important to be in a particular tier of ranking and even then...

10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Damn what was our record again this year?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

You sir are an imbecile!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Donzo

Donzo GC Legend

May 20, 2008
    Awful.

Wondering- What the hell is rocket medicine?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Are you kidding? Even 347 said we had the #1 db clasd

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Sometimes the truth hurts homie.

15. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I think he is great at covering bigger guys. Not quick enough to cover the smaller shiftiest WRs. He got burned a couple of times towards the end of the season. I believe against UVA as well.

16. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Link?

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. Fezziwigator

Fezziwigator GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Many of the posters on this board have been gnashing their teeth and bitching and moaning about the failures of this staff to recruit at what they consider an elite level. Elite is apparently defined as the arbitrary number selected by them as Top 5.

But just to put things in perspective (if that's possible for some on this board), and setting aside that where we rank is solely determined by self appointed "experts" in the recruiting services, whose opinion of the worthiness of recruits may or may not jibe to any extent with the judgement of the coaches, lets take a look at who we lost to.

Using Rivals only, (I dont have time to review all the services!) we rank 7th with 25 commits, two 5* and fifteen 4* for a total of 17 bluechippers and an average of 3.72. Yet we lost to:

Texas A&M

26 commits, two 5* and fourteen 4* for a total of 16 bluechippers and an average of 3.58
    So apparently we get beat out of 6th place because they have one more 3* recruit!!

Ohio State

25 commits, three 5* and twelve 4* for a total of 15 bluechippers and an average of 3.72.
    Same number of commits, same average, one more 5* but 2 fewer bluechippers So we get beat out of 5th place (and elite status!!) because they value one 5* as better than 2 4*.

LSU
    24 commits, two 5* and fifteen 4* for a total of 17 bluechippers and an average of 3.79.
    Same amount of 5*s, 4*s and bluechippers but they zoom ahead of our average by .07! How did they manage that? Because we signed a 2* punter and they didn't. If we booted Crenshaw our numbers would be identical to the 4th ranked team! Elite status baby!

Alabama
    25 Commits, four 5*and seventeen 4* for a total of 21 bluechippers and a solid 4 point average.
    Ok clearly a cut above, this is definitely elite recruiting. How do they do it? Well for one thing they cheat. Not the school, but the state. It's endemic, deep seated, generational; it oozes out of the pores of the Tide faithful. You can call it sour grapes if you want but the next time Alabama gets punished for recruiting violations it will extend their already healthy lead over whoever is in second place.

Clemson
    23 commits, five 5* and 11 4* for a total of 16 bluechippers and an average of 3.91
    Definitely elite recruiting, the haul of 5*s is impressive. How do they do it? Being in the playoffs four years running helps. Do they cheat? They do in basketball and if you believe the people involved talking on the tapes, its the Clemson way in football too.

Georgia
    25 commits, five 5* and 14 4* for a total of 19 bluechippers and a score of 3.96
    Another impressive recruiting job, definitely elite. And No.1 three years running. How does a team that just got its ass thumped by LSU on the big stage keep doing it? A team that has little to show despite #3,#1 and #1 recruiting rankings the last 3 years? Beats me. But I hear Kirby Smart used to coach at Alabama and to quote Forrest Gump "That's all I've got to say about that"

My takeaway from all this is that even assuming the recruiting services nailed every recruits true ranking, the difference between teams in the top ten are pretty much insignificant. Anyone stressing over being 7 as opposed to 4 or 5 is wasting their time. The best we can do is see where we rank in general terms, and whether we met our needs. The rest is mostly fluff.

• Winner x 9
    • Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  18. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    While I agree with you, when I was 18, I was an idiot...

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. Joaqui

Joaqui Junior

Jul 17, 2016
    Maybe by sheer number of DBs that we took because none of our DBs have the elite talent of uga or lsu

20. okcgator

okcgator Senior

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    We had a good year and I agree with your other post about facility limitations. With that said if just two of our position coaches were decent recruiters not even elite this class is probably flirting with top 5. I’m not looking to burn this staff down just asking for 1-2 spots to be addressed.

• Agree Agree x 1