Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

LOI Thread

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Ahab, Dec 18, 2019.

1. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Its hard to recruit against easier curriculums with an elite player who just wants that easy route to NFL millions.

Totally agree with you on most all of what you said.

There are also the issues of "bag men", and of course, the rumors that Clemson boosters got to Bowman's mom too.

What I've learned about recruiting when I was a serious recruitnik was that when you heard rumors over elite players, over half of them were usually true.

Let me be specific in that almost all rumors, not all, but easily over 80% of them are over elite 4*'s and 5*'s. People who say bag men arent prevalent are fooling themselves.

Money is the name of the game in CFB now, and its how the very big programs compete with each other. They buy the players they want, and its mostly everybody else looking in. Yes, some programs break the rules, but not on the organized, industrial level we see from the likes of say, Bama.

UGA is also a perfect example. They always got very good classes under Richt, but when Smart got there, a disciple of Saban no less, the classes suddenly got ridiculously good. That's not a coincidence, that's the Bama recruiting model at UGA.

Fact of the matter is, its an un-even recruiting field out there and money is the big draw to it.

Easy academics, bag men, money/jobs thrown at family members, gf's given schollies to attract others, its hard to recruit against when youre basically on the level.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Why? Grades?

3. gatorfan01

gatorfan01 Freshman

Aug 21, 2018
    I keep hearing Clemson model but in order to work like that model we need to play in ACC. Look at ACC teams and who Clemson has to beat to get to playoffs. Mighty Virginia? FSU with their screw up coaching hire is really outlier. Not only we beat them but lot of other mediocre teams also beat FSU.

We were not favored to win against LSU or Georgia this year. It is good we come close but without elite recruiting our win will be called "Upset" and you can't rely on upset every year to win National Championship. We were close to Kentucky and Miami also, and came down to last few minutes to pull away. There is no consolation for quality loss and we can argue that we are better team because we had quality loss. Otherwise some of our wins were not quality win either. Having said that I am not pinning down on one person for any recruitment failure but also I am not drinking that cool aid that we are closer to championship because we had lead for few minutes in 3rd quarter. In order to win championships, we need elite players period.. Otherwise we can have always one or two upset win go our way once in a while to feel better about next year chances.

• Like Like x 1
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I think the silliest thing is thinking kids are scared to play in the SEC etc etc. Agreed.

If you dont think bagmen happen then I don't know what to say. It happens everywhere to a degree. I know people personally who have recieved benefits while playing in college even at ridiculously low levels sometimes. That I know. What I don't know but speculate is that some schools do it more systematically while others may have fringe boosters.

If you think that is silly then Cams dad getting paid was a total coincidence and UNC just made a mistake when they ran a completely fake curriculum for mostly athletes...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    But as for Tim Smith, he was, imo, a "gravy get".

Our line classes were terrific imo, on both sides of the line of scrimmage, so even though it stings not having Smith in this class, well, whatever. Just imo, I think Saban is in his twilight and wont be there in two more years.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gator72211

Gator72211 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 10, 2015
    Harris to A&M. Well this day has been underwhelming.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 4RoswellGators

4RoswellGators Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    If that helps you justify why your team didn't land the big fish when discussing recruiting at the water cooler, great.
    Xavier McKinney at Bama was another Roswell kid who is about to become a first round draft choice. I know him and his family very well. Every team in the country was pining for him to sign with them. If there were bags of cash, lucrative jobs for his parents, Ford F150's, etc ... everyone in the community would know about it. Before you jump me and give me the ol' "why would a player tell you about the perks he was getting."...it is similar to your kid keeping that kind of secret from you. It is impossible.

PS - have you ever been on an official visit? I have been on four with various Roswell players. I can assure you the tours are very different and the tactics are even more different from one university to another. Clemson's visit blows everyone else out of the water -- not even close. UF's was just average.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Seriously great post, but I want to add something about the "science" part.
    Recruiting is a very confusing time for a HS prospect.
    From the kids perspective- he literally has (potentially) millions of dollars riding on this decision.
    Talk about pressure.

And he's being pulled this way and that by friends, relatives, coaches, and other hangers on.
    Meanwhile- he's 17 years old!

So IMO- those 4 schools you mentioned have learned how to cut through the noise and speak to the kid.
    It's not unlike a good salesman. They also have their angles.

I don't think CDM is able to speak through the noise yet. But he will get better at it.

9. FatherGoat

FatherGoat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    Are our bagmen just tight assess or do we claim not to do that sort of thing? I personally feel better to just throw this shit back on the guy who refused to face the reality of the "arms race" that is bringing titles to those who saw it coming.

10. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    [QUOTE="4RoswellGators, post: 11585696]

Bag men is the dumbest excuse.
    Paying their parents or giving them high paying jobs is right behind the bag men theory.
    Playing against D's in the ACC vs SEC -- really?

Go Gators.[/QUOTE]
    Honest question since I’m not a HS coach, nor do I even know any.

Based on your comment, it seems as if you haven’t seen any evidence of bagmen or favors to parents? I’m not suggesting one way or the other, just looking for perspective from someone who’s close to this.

11. cubangator

cubangator Senior

Jul 8, 2017
    Do we know if Walker has fax his LOI in?

12. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    The gap between Clemson and the rest of the mighty ACC got even wider today. If you took the best 20-25 players signed by all the other ACC teams combined, it still wouldn’t be close to the group Clemson signed.

13. diehardgator15

diehardgator15 All American

Oct 6, 2019
    I love Mullen but from my opinion on what he said he made it seem as if recruiting wasn't as important as pure coaching, which I disagree with. It may not be as important as coaching but it's right there, the best teams are the top 5 in recruiting every year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. cubangator

cubangator Senior

Jul 8, 2017
    Do we know if Walker has faxed his LOI in?

15. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Our kids ride scooters to class, that's all we need to know.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. G8tr69

G8tr69 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    From 247 Website. :(:(:(

LOSERS

Florida: We thought the Florida Gators could be a big winner of the day with multiple possible flips on the table. Nope. No new commits, either, including the loss of Bloomingdale (Ga.) New Hampstead receiver Sam Brown to West Virginia! This is obviously still a strong class, checking in at No. 8, but the biggest difference between Dan Mullen’s staff and rival Kirby Smart’s at Georgia is the closing power.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. diehardgator15

Oct 6, 2019
    I don't agree with this because the transfer portal is now a thing.

Even if a kid makes a poor school decision he can transfer out and still prove himself somewhere. It's not the same as sitting behind someone and never getting your chance.

18. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    The ACC was a bad joke this year, but a few years ago it was solid. And this is when Clemson started their run.
    Even with their classes ranked 10-20. And they did fine vs the SEC and Bama.

I'm just saying that, while I'm disappointed we didn't get some flips, all hope is not lost.
    We can beat UGA, LSU, and others with the class we signed today, transfers like Cox, and further development.
    And doing things the right way.

We need to get better at this, but I"m not freaking out because we finished 8th instead of 6th. That's my main point.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. diehardgator15

Oct 6, 2019
    Damn, yep.

20. gatortenor37

gatortenor37 GC Legend

Jan 29, 2016
    Arkansas
    It appears he will be sending in his LOI after his announcement. Otherwise, i'm sure it would have been sent in by now.