Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Living and Coping with a Diagnosis of Cancer

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by lacuna, May 2, 2019.

1. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Bill, you are right, marijuana does help in all the ways you mentioned. But weed is probably not something good for @GatorPrincess8 's father. She said he has lung cancer. He should not smoke. Perhaps edibles of some type would work as well as weed.

My oncologist would prefer I not smoke weed but she hasn't told me to stop as she knows I enjoy it and it has benefited me. If I were fighting lung cancer as Princess's dad is, I know she would have been more insistent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    My dad wouldn't be able to do smoking weed, but the cbd oils maybe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    they have it in drops- I use cannabis oil drops

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I'll have him ask his dr . Ty

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My sister lived in Co and used the pills. Was a great relief for her

6. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Pills? I've never seen any of theses products in pill form. Where did she find it?

7. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    My Fluent store in Florida carries cannabis oil in pill form

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Thanks, Bill Good to know. I've not seen it in the dispensary where I shop. Then again, I wasn't looking for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    the young lady who assisted me was very knowledgeable and went over all my options

• Like Like x 2
  10. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    Yesterday was chemo treatment #2 for Tamra- she did well. However, she pretty much stayed in bed today. I spoke to my son about 30 minutes ago and he said she got up and came to the table for dinner and ate about half of her plate and then got a shower and went back to bed. The amount of hair loss has been dramatic but the donated wig has buoyed her.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    In the last 8 days I have had 2 procedures requiring general anesthesia. One is unfortunately routine every 3 to 4 months, possibly for the rest of my life. The other, a diagnostic colonoscopy to determine the reason for recent bleeding. The surgery to excise a portion of the tumor attached to the lower vena cava last March also revealed it was pressing on my right kidney and colon That portion was removed but it was feared it had compromised the kidney with the pressure it was creating in the area. Anticipating further deterioration if I opted for chemo and radiation - which I did - an Anschutz urologist placed a stent in the duct between my kidney and bladder to assist in normal functioning. There was some radiation damage so it was decided to keep replacing it when it was first checked and replaced in early July. The original stent that was removed was found to have calcification. Expected. That's normal they tell me. The second replacement was made in October and it too, had some calcification. The third replacement was yesterday and it was determined I still needed it for normal functioning, but the calcification was less. They are letting me go 4 1/2 months before they do the next replacement.

Other development requires a change in my treatment protocol. Last week I was passing blood from my bowels. Doctors immediately arranged a colonoscopy to determine source, cause, and severity. The bleeding only lasted 2 days but the procedure revealed damage from radiation and an inflamed area with colitis that was "repairing itself." Two polyps were also removed, biopsied, and found to be "'pre-cancerous." I suppose this is in the norm as I don't need to have another for 5 years unless there are unusual changes necessitating another look see.

I saw Frageelee this afternoon and she is suspending my immunotherapy infusions as Keytruda can cause colitis. It can be a very bad thing for people receiving immunotherapy so she is exercising caution. I have had keytruda infusions every 3 weeks for nearly 6 months, the length of time she originally hoped for. The insurance approving 12 months was reassuring but Frageelee said she would have me imaged regularly to make certain nothing is taking root again. This suspension of treatment has me feeling unsettled, but I trust her judgment as she has successfully planned my treatment for nearly a year, ridding me of the vena cava beast, extending my life.

And good news, spectacular news. Younger son in Austin accepted a job offer in Denver!!! He will receive a nice raise in salary and be on a bonus schedule. He and the wife are stoked, she is an English teacher at Westlake HS in Austin's Hill Country. Upper upscale neighborhoods with too many over-privileged kids and controlling helicopter parents. One of her students the first year she taught there was Luke Armstrong, Lance's eldest child. She said Lance was not a problem. Drew Brees also went to high school at Westlake, but that was before she joined the faculty.

Starting salaries for new teachers in the Denver school district are lower than what she has been receiving, but the increases come quickly and are significantly higher than Austin schools. Within a couple of years she will be making more than she is now at Westlake. She is a born and bred Texas girl and will have to learn to drive in snow, but is eager to take on all new challenges the move will entail.

My new compression suit and pump arrived this afternoon while we were speaking with Frageelee. I hope it meets the expectations I've set up. After I've used it a few times and got the hang of it, I will update on that.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. creekgator

creekgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Lacuna
    Hope you feel better soon and can resume treatments.I have heard nothing but positive things about Keytruda.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Gotta post a pic, I bet you look darlin' in the suit :)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    She is truly a paragon of the latest in fashion styles.;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    I knew intuitively she is a fashion trend setter

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    uhhh, not gonna happen. For 2 reasons. Number one - my legs look like they are encased like gunmetal gray sausages. And I don't know how to post pictures I have taken to the forum's threads. But I will post a youtube of a suit in use.

Each legging contains chambers that consecutively fill with air from toes to top of thigh. They exert pressure on the limb that pushes trapped lymph fluid up 'til it can be processed for elimination by a functioning lymph node. When all the chambers are inflated the pressure against the leg is held for about 30 seconds when all the chambers simultaneously release the trapped air and the process again starts from the toe.

I am in this device for 45 minutes to an hour two times a day. It is not painful nor can it be said to be comfortable. It is warm on my legs and time consuming but my legs do feel better after a treatment is completed and they are norticeably smaller from being drained of the trapped lymph.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Do not believe the person you quoted. Although he has many admirable qualities worth appreciating and celebrating, his fashion sense is lacking. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Thanks, Creek. Resumption of treatments looks doubtful at this time but Frageelee indicated the situation could change. She is scheduling regular imaging to stay current with any changes that might occur.

Physically I'm feeling okay - no pain , though I do have occasional discomfort in my swollen legs, but compression therapy does bring relief when I need it. The wretched fatigue lingers and is not likely to change as my heart is not functioning optimally as a murmur in one valve and a stenosis in another makes for an inefficient supply of oxygen. But I cope okay as long as I pace myself and plan accordingly.

My outlook has been a bit bleak with the shock of Holly's sudden unexpected passing. She was a touchstone for me - for many of us here on Gator Country, and it's been hard to accept she is now gone from us. She is - and will continue to be - missed.

How are you doing? Staying active I hope. Do you get down to G'ville for basketball games? We watch them on TV out here and the women's gymnastics competitions, too when we can. Always enjoyable.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. creekgator

creekgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    I am with you on Holly.As someone that posts on Too Hot she handled herself with class and was very fair as a moderator.
    Compression therapy is great.I have been wearing the socks for many years after my DVT.
    I have been having a lot of trouble swallowing food and was on liquids only for 4 days. The chemo itself can cause this and when you throw in the tumor blocking it is a double whammy.
    Got my 6th infusion yesterday blood work was good.
    I am going to Gainesville Friday for my fraternity alumni reunion.Hoping the chemo side effects are manageable.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. lacuna

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    After being shut out last year with our plans to xeriscape the yard, we let no grass regrow under our feet this year and contracted with a landscaper last week to design and create a private xeriscaped retreat in our back yard. He will plant mature evergreens of some type to screen the rear of our yard where our privacy will be most compromised by the homes that will be built up there. That development remains a huge disappointment, but when handed lemons one must learn how to make lemonade. We will utilize the upper level by constructing sturdy flagstone steps that climb gradually, making it easier for me to reach a paved platform at the top, about 12 to 15 feet or so. It will be a 10 by 10 ft spot to place some chairs and perhaps have a fire pit so we can view sunsets over the Colorado National Monument, about a mile or so to our west. Though my unrestricted views of sunrises will be lost and my yard overshadowed in the early morning hours. Lemonade.

The earth moving crews have been working back there for about a month and I took advantage of the weekend to awaken my adventuresome side and announce to Trucker I intended to climb the hillside behind our house to see how far they had gotten. He assisted me in reaching the top on the unsteady flagstone steps placed in the hill by the previous owners of our home. What we found was pretty much what I expected. All the plants and few trees in the zone are gone. The ground has been leveled and built up on the far side. We expect they will build up the side closest to us to the same level, which is perhaps 6 to 8 feet higher than it is now. We walked out onto the graded terrain and I admit I chucked a couple of small rocks towards a road grader. I missed and Trucker laughed at me.

Our landscaper is going to build a small pond with a waterfall that will be incorporated into the rock retaining wall already there. It will be an oasis creating the pleasant and soothing sound of moving water. I'll throw in a few fish and water lilies. Flagstone paths and flowering cactus and other drought tolerant flowering plants will help to ease my disturbed spirit that was riled up with the impending loss of my open views.

Work on our project will start in March and take about 6 weeks. It's costing an arm and a leg, but not as much as it would be to pick up and move to higher ground. And we truly do like this house, our neighbors, and our proximity to our son and his family. We will make it work for us.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1