Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Live: President Trump MAGA rally in Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jun 20, 2020.

1. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

In 32.5 of the cases the offending politicians were republican. 1 was French and 1.5 were democrat.

In many of the instances the republican essentially said I don't care and kept playing the music. The democrats (1 of which asked permission in advance and was denied) stopped playing the music.

Technically they can't be stopped on the ASCAP side. BMI appears to have an option to deny the rights to a political campaign.

Decency and doing the right thing should rule the day--if asked to stop just stop playing the song.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    They probably wouldn't be surprised at such snowflake-like behavior.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    That's the Trump supporter way of thinking. He doesn't need to follow the laws or rules and he doesn't need permission to do anything. And if you dare call him out on it, you have TDS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. iowagator

iowagator VIP Member

Copyrights and the ability to use music is complex! Especially in light of so much stuff being done on Zoom. At church we have a license to use ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC in our building. We have another license addendum, through the same group, to allow us to stream-but not to YouTube. We can stream to our website though. It is complicated!!

Here is part of an article regarding what pols face:

Campaigns that want to license the recordings generally have to have a license from the copyright holder. Most compositions are licensed by the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, known as ASCAP, or Broadcast Music Inc., known as BMI. Campaigns can obtain licenses from these groups, but artists may be able to block the songs through a contract clause.

BMI’s clause, which is specific to political campaigns, says specific works “may be excluded” from a music license for political entities if a songwriter or publisher raises an objection, according to two sources cited by the Post: an NPR story and a 2017 article by intellectual property lawyer Danwill Schwender. ASCAP has a similar provision, according to a source who spoke with NPR.

Some campaigns also rely on blanket licenses from ASCAP or BMI granted to venues where performances are taking place. Mick Jagger and Axl Rose have both said that music licenses granted to public venues are being used by the Trump campaign to play their music.

But some venues with blanket licenses have contracts requiring them to exclude use of the music for political campaigns, according to an Above the Law story by intellectual property lawyer Tom Kulik. He suggests that campaigns should obtain the license directly from ASCAP, BMI or other performing rights organization, and he adds that campaigns should obtain a “traveling license” for music they intend to use at multiple rallies.

Can recording artists stop Trump from playing their music at rallies? Legal theories are untested

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    I agree with your premise that this is much ado about nothing.

What I do not understand is why "slicing up the media" by insulting them is to be celebrated? I know you are not a trump supporter, but I generally wonder at the folks saying "as long as Trump acts like an ass, he has my vote."

I can blame the media to some degree for engaging in petty fights with a petty man, but isn't the fact that the petty man is our president the real issue here?

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    But the virus is "a hoax" and is "going to one day magically disappear" right! Hell, don't test and there will not be any cases. SMDH.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    No, that's still wrong. The arena's licensing does not carry over to the political rally.

This, the third paragraph, which is apparently the source of your confusion, applies IF the campaign had purchased its own license:

"WHAT MUSIC IS COVERED BY THE ASCAP LICENSE FOR POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS?The ASCAP Political Campaign License agreement provides a blanket license to perform any or all of the millions of compositions in the ASCAP repertory. However, ASCAP members may ask ASCAP to exclude specific songs from a particular political campaign’s license. In that event, ASCAP will notify the campaign of the excluded works."

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Thread is still rocking. It will Soon have more posts than actual trump supporters that showed up at the Tulsa gig. That’s hilarious.

• Funny Funny x 9
  9. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    Next time they play that song at a Gator game l will remain seated. All Petty songs are being removed from my devices.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  10. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Better yet...you can sit there and cheer "Gator Bait"...kill two birds with one stone.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    If he wins the presidency he'll be the only president from the "Silent Generation". Why does he need to speak up to appease you? Will it win him your vote?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2020-6-21_12-34-4.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gator10010

gator10010 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 23, 2008
    That would be great for the "Silent Generation" I guess....I thought it was more about country than generation.

Well, Biden did speak, Biden just didn't want anyone to hear him or ask him questions.

He doesn't need to speak to appease me, he needs to speak if he's going to win the election is in 5 months.

Biden and his 47 years in politics doesn't really offer much other than more of the same. More spending, more laws and regulations, bigger government, higher taxes, etc......so no Biden can't win my vote if he's running on his same old platform that he has for the last 50 years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Make sure you also remove Neil Young, Elton John, R.E.M., Adele, Rolling Stones, Guns N'Roses, Queen, Earth Wind and Fire, The O Jays, Pharell, Free, George Harrison, Pavarotti, Prince, Aerosmith, Twisted Sister, and Rihanna songs to be consistent with punishing yourself for musicians that dared to tell Trump to stop playing their music.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    not a supporter of property rights?

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    That'll show em!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. coleg

coleg All American

Sep 5, 2011
    Just have to admire how the first reaction of fans of the cheetoh-dusted impeachedpotus to desist from illegal action is to suggest bullying and threaten retaliation. Learned behaviors SMH.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Stick it to the man!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Yeah, the Petty family doesn’t want Trump using their music because of his message, I’m sure they’d be devastated about losing the support from those who follow and live out his message. Hilarious that anyone would even threaten that.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Rage against the machine, man!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1