Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Live: President Trump MAGA rally in Tulsa, OK

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Jun 20, 2020.

1. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Then again, that is what I thought he was doing four years ago, and he still won.

2. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    There are not enough shots in the bag for that guy. Red Hats are dug in. There is no getting through to them. Believe me, I have tried for years. I no longer try to have a real discussion with them. Total waste of time and effort.
    I'm convinced at this point, if Hitler ran for office in Israel, there are enough ignorant and/or bad people he'd probably get 40%.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Politicians don't need permission to use songs in these settings. As long as the venue has paid for the rights to play music, the politician can use the music.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    All 20 of the people Biden invited to his party showed up. Only 6,600 of the one million people Trump invited to his party showed up.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    Seriously, he opened the rally making jokes about how many names it has. Most of which he’s guilty of making up. Real strong message to take it seriously.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Benmont Tench, a co-founder of the Heartbreakers and longtime Petty collaborator, echoed his family’s statement in an Instagram post, writing: “I in no way approve of Trump even whistling any piece of music associated with our band. I hope that’s clear enough.”

Tom Petty's Family Blasts Trump For Using His Music At Tulsa Rally

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Uhm, no.

"WHAT LICENSES DOES A CAMPAIGN NEED TO PLAY MUSIC AT CAMPAIGN EVENTS?First, while many venues have proper “public performance” licenses, as a general rule the ASCAP licenses for convention centers, arenas and hotels exclude music use during conventions, expositions and campaign events. If a campaign is holding many events at dozens of different venues, it may be easier for the campaign itself to obtain a public performance license from ASCAP (and possibly the other US performing rights organizations if the music is licensed through one of them). This license is issued to an individual candidate’s specific campaign and extends only until the candidate is sworn into office — not for the candidate’s full term in office. Having such licenses in place would guarantee that, no matter where you have a campaign stop, the performances of music at the events would be in compliance with copyright law.

CAN POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS RELY ON VENUE LICENSES?Because licenses for venues such as convention centers and hotels generally exclude rights to perform music at events organized by a third party, political campaigns need their own ASCAP license to use the works in its repertory. This makes sense because the third party organizer is the main beneficiary of the performances, not the venue, and is in the best position to control the performances. For this reason, event organizers (in this case political campaigns) have traditionally assumed responsibility for obtaining the permission from the rights holders.

WHAT MUSIC IS COVERED BY THE ASCAP LICENSE FOR POLITICAL CAMPAIGNS?The ASCAP Political Campaign License agreement provides a blanket license to perform any or all of the millions of compositions in the ASCAP repertory. However, ASCAP members may ask ASCAP to exclude specific songs from a particular political campaign’s license. In that event, ASCAP will notify the campaign of the excluded works."

https://www.ascap.com/~/media/files/pdf/advocacy-legislation/political_campaign.pdf

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    I wonder how the Petty family would feel if everybody who voted for Trump stopped buying Tom's stuff. You might be surprised how much he likely still earns in royalties postmortem.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    So most of the people planning to go were no shows because they afraid of the pandemic but 90% people who did show up didn't wear masks?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. RIP

RIP VIP Member

Feb 2, 2015
    And those that did show up were squeezed together in a mostly empty arena? Yeah I'm calling BS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    EbCHDSiWAAAVn1G.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Have big respect for artists that stand on principle even if it costs them some money.
    Guess the Red Hats can put Kid Rock and Ted Nugent on endless loop while they watch Joanie Loves Chachi reruns.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. obgator

obgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Blazergator

Blazergator All American

Apr 10, 2007
    My guess is the family is doing just fine and can live without that money

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Or make a good SNL or Monty Python sketch. :D:D His acting came full circle from HuH? to LMFAO. Except he's POTUS so the stupidity is not funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Thanks for the insight. But, the fact remains, that the politician does not need permission to play the song, though as stated above, the artist(s) can ask that the politician no longer be allowed to play the song, which usually happens after the first or subsequent playing(s) of the song.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    They are scary people. :)
    The Red Hat Society, Inc.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Saw the Rolling Thunder Review when they played Florida Field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. pkaib01

pkaib01 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So... a politician doesn't need permission unless he doesn't have it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1