Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Little Brother strikes again!

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    https://amp.tallahassee.com/amp/6103945001
    Fines Leon County for mandating masks for county employees. Who’s the “villain” here, those who mandate masks or those who mandate no masks? Shouldn’t each governmental body be able to make its own decision without a “superior” Little Brother disallowing that decision?

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. officelife

officelife Senior

Aug 11, 2017
    Conservatives, we support small government, only if they agree with our ideals. Also, we are the party of Lincoln...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not the party of Lincoln any more. Clearly the party of Trump. Even Reagan would get called a RINO these days.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Who is "mandating" no masks? Pretty sure our governor is all for individual choice.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Pubs have always celebrated Big Gov. Reagan was about as big gov a prez as we've ever had.

6. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I can still wear a mask anywhere I want… right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Does he have that authority over county governments?

8. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Perhaps I’m misunderstanding you, but DeSantis has decreed that school districts and counties may not mandate masks. That’s been all over the news for weeks. Leon County mandated masks for its employees, and now the Governor is fining it for disobeying his decree. My question was which is worse: counties mandating them for their employees or the state saying thou shall not mandate?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Of course, but don’t you think there might be instances where you can’t decide you won’t wear one?

10. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    That wasn't your question at all. You completely changed it.

This is in your first post. You specifically say "mandate no masks".

"Who’s the “villain” here, those who mandate masks or those who mandate no masks?"

I'm not sure if liberals here can't figure it out or if they intentionally blur the lines to enforce their beliefs/paint conservatives in a negative light. Pathetic either way.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Yes, constitutionally he does. But should he exercise it in this manner given this unique and, unfortunately, politically charged environment? It’s not like Leon County, for examples le, has decided it will lower the gas tax in its county or that it won’t follow some state education guideline. This is DeSantis jockeying for higher office.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  12. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Are you saying this intentionally, or are you just mixed up? You clearly do not understand my post. And why bring “liberal” into the discussion? I’m wondering who has the power regarding masks in this unique situation, and all you’re doing is clicking disagree without saying what you disagree with.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    I think DeSantis has waded into an area he did not need to. Let the local areas decide, then the local residents can push back and get it changed if they like. At any rate anyone who wants to wear a mask still can. I understand the whole personal choice and freedom angle but some battles don't need to be fought.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Is it true that when Mary Todd Lincoln got sick, Abe tried to get her to drink some bleach?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

THIS!

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Here's how DeSantis governs. (They're already making a horror movie, "The Base.") Trump sits in Mar-a-Lago casting a telepathic spell, wriggling his fingers and staring toward Tallahassee, and DeSantis sits glassy-eyed saying, "Yes, Master."

Trump then turns around and does the same thing casting a spell toward Texas.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Keeps the base fired up and fighting

That is the point.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. gator7_5

gator7_5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Wondering who has the power regarding masks??? I feel like I'm in bizzaro world. It should be completely obvious to anyone that Desantis is putting the decision to wear a mask in the hands of each individual. As it should be.

I disagreed with your completely inaccurate take that Desantis is mandating a no mask policy. He clearly is not.

19. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Dramatist has not said that I can’t wear a mask. He has said that others can not make me wear one and I cannot make others wear one. Each individual gets the liberty to decide.

20. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    We’ll said, but the point remains: he’s telling a county it may not mandate masks when it feels it’s necessary to protect employees or children. He’s forcing the county to his politically motivated view that counties must allow freedom of choice during a pandemic where not wearing one impacts others according to the experts. Should he be doing that?

• Winner Winner x 1