Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Listen to the bell, Arizona . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:24 PM.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Cleveland State is in deep trouble.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. toddrl

toddrl All American

Jan 22, 2019
    As they've done all along, Zona will still not fire Miller. Lol unreal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    I agree.
    But I think their hand will be forced . . . eventually.

5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    And they will probably forfeit some wins. It pays to cheat.

6. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    This evidence was part of the discovery for Book's trial. It's nothing new. Book plead guilty before the trial started, but it's unlikely this evidence would have been entered in the trial because the FBI had no corroborating evidence to back up this claim. Plus, the FBI already had plenty of other, hard evidence against Book, which is why he was charged, and why he eventually plead guilty.

There is no excuse for what Book Richardson did, and he's paying for his crimes, as he's currently in jail. The NCAA will likely issue some sort of sanction against Arizona for Book's actions, but it will based on what is known and provable. The claims that Book payed for Alkins to pass a high school class and Alkins' cousin received $2,000/month are nothing but hearsay, along with the $100,000 Ayton supposedly got. Releasing this story on Alkins is ESPN and Schlabaugh being petty because their Ayton story bombshell turned out to be nothing but a bomb that blew up in ESPN's face.

Contrast this with the Duke Zion story. Similar to Arizona, there are allegations Zion got paid to attend Duke. Like Arizona, Duke did their own, internal investigation of the story and cleared the school, Zion, and Coach of any wrongdoing. ESPN wrote a buried article about Duke clearing itself last week, and that's been it on the story.

The judges in the trials surrounding these cases has sealed all evidence not released, because as we see here, the court of public opinion only needs a little hearsay evidence to convict. Releasing the other evidence the FBI collected would likely contain more hearsay evidence against coaches like Miller who would have little to now way to defend themselves against allegations that could be nothing more than hearsay.

Arizona will keep Miller because the evidence against him and the program that can be proven with solid evidence is only what Book has plead guilty to. It's possible that everything else Book is on record saying is nothing more than him weaving a story and posturing in order to get extort more money from the agents and financial advisers. But there is no hard evidence this money ever changed hands. If there was, the FBI would have added these charges to Book's record. But they didn't.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. jmac83

jmac83 GC Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    “If I had it to do over again, I’d barter something ... I’d give blood. I’d give semen, something.”

How could Zona part with a guy willing to go that far for the university?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Both outlets like ESPN and the NCAA have chosen Duke/K to wear the white hats and it seems little will ever change in that respect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Coach K ...... bend the rules? Never!
    Duke and N Carolina, :cool: - Your right REM, truth and evidence mean nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ncbullgator15

ncbullgator15 Freshman

Jul 16, 2019
    The Duke reps did an investigation? Oh please. They never looked at the proof or even asked Avenatti a question.

It was a complete sham.

And the media trolls for Duke, (CBS and ESPN), printed the fake news story.

11. REM08

REM08 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2010
    Arkansas
    Exactly.

Gotta say though, on behalf of Duke I guess, the college basketball/sports landscape is such that any school would foolish to blow their own whistle (sad that this is the case though). Call yourself out and you get hammered. Bury your head, lawyer up and you're good!

12. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Duke isn't just handled with kid gloves by ESPN and the media, but with gold plated, single-use so they never get soiled gloves.

Still, even with Duke, the court of public opinion is ready to convict based on nothing more than a single person's statement. A statement is enough to warrant further investigation, but a statement without any other evidence to support it makes the statement nothing more than hearsay. And even for the Simpsons, hearsay isn't enough evidence to do anything.

13. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Was interesting to see disgraced lawyer Avenatti call out Duke after Duke issued the press release that their investigation found no wrong doing. Avenatti said no one spoke to him, sham investigation and that Duke and Coach K are cheating. Said Duke and Coach K should bring a defamation suit against him, as he has records to prove Duke is paying players

14. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Sadly, I think that court of public opinion is just becoming more apathetic with time. Its all viewed as part of doing "business", which makes it easier for the top programs to keep the status quo.

15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I believe that Arizona, Kentucky, Kansas, and Duke will be hammered by the NCAA just as soon as the Roman Catholic Church fires all the priests and cardinals because of sexual misconduct.

Or when Heck freezes over. It is who we are.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    FIFY

Arizona has had some success, but are not really a "blue blood". Maybe add UCLA for historical reasons.

17. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    IF and I mean IF Arizona is hammered they and other schools have the goods also on those other said schools and they will put pressure on the NCAA to make a move on Duke, Duke is dirty..coach K is a rat. People in the business knows what happened with Zion and Cam and RJ...KY everyone knows about and I commend REM for putting them in that slash with ESPN wanting to protect them and he is correct. Another big player in the buy kids sweepstakes people arent talking about USC..everyone is kind of pointing to Memphis and they are correct, but USC and I wonder if there will be some change with that now that Swann is gone and he was turning a blind eye over there

18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    UCLA under Wooden cheated for YEARS with Sam Gilbert supplying the $'s and yet Wooden is considered a saintly figure to this day.

I am sure that many of Wooden's players loved him and think fondly of him. Of that there is no doubt. And he was a decent coach. But without Sam Gilbert he would be just a foot note and considered as much less of a coach than somebody like Ray Meyer.

Added in edit: Ray Meyer's coaching changed the game forever. He showed how to play the game with a "big man" aka George Mikan. Before that the conventional knowledge was that people that large were too clumsy and could not play the game. Before Mikan the lane and free throw/jump circle made something that looked like a keyhole and hence the lane is still to this day called "the key". After Mikan the lane was widened.

Meyer's coaching made the game change its rules.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 5:38 PM