Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lions Head Coach Matt Patricia was indicted in 1996 sex assault

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, May 10, 2018.

1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

New Detroit Lions Coach Matt Patricia was indicted but not tried in a 1996 sex assault, The Detroit News reports Wednesday night. The accuser declined to testify, citing the stress of a trial. She requested that the case be dismissed, the report said.

Patricia and the other man were football players at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in upstate New York at the time. The incident is said to have happened in South Padre Island, Texas on March 15, 1996, when Patricia was 21, reports The Detroit News. A woman accused him and his college classmate of raping her in a hotel room.

Tonight Lions President Rod Wood says the accuser later recanted her story multiple times. But court records show she decided not to testify because she told prosecutors she couldn't face the pressures or stress of a trial. The News also quotes Patricia's attorney Jeff Wilson who says his client denies all wrongdoing.

NFL head coach Matt Patricia was indicted for sex assault in '96 but never prosecuted: report

Patricia denies the allegations, saying he was falsely accused. Really odd timing of this story coming out 22 years later. The Lions apparently had no knowledge of this despite doing a standard pre-employment background check.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Hard to believe that the Lions weren't aware of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. bperkins10

bperkins10 All American

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    That was 22 years ago. All charges were dropped. Enough said.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol. Not due to his innocence. The girl was scared out of her mind to testify against these rats. The prosecution had 5 witnesses ready to testify. The DR, the RN, 2 cops and I can't recall the last one.

The way that Patricia presents his story is that charges were dropped, hes innocent but...I never got my day in court. Dude, you don't want that day to come. He's a liar rapist.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Very strange that it flew under the NFL radar for 22 years. After all this is the same league that digs deep into the histories of college players during the combine, and any red flag that pops up can lead to them going undrafted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree. The Detroit news said it was easy info to find. Its been said that Patricia and his buddy were violent w that girl. He says the incident was never an issue during any of his interviews to become an engineer. (Lol) because an engineering interview is clearly = to NFL head coach interview. (No offense to any engineers here of course)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Am also inclined to believe that Bill Belichick knew (which he claims he did not). This is a guy who is notoriously meticulous and detailed about everything and everyone around him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Hard to believe The Pats didn't know either.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I doubt this was not known among NFL front offices. The NFL and the teams know more about players and coaches than law enforcement members wished they knew.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kosovo
    This guy might even be guilty, but on principle I’m opposed to charges this old being dug up. Unless they’ve got a video or a taped confession of him saying “Yes, I raped her,” this is probably a waste of everyone’s time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Perhaps but in this “Me Too” era where the Bill Cosbys and Harvey Weinsteins of the world are now paying the price for what they did 20-30 years ago, I’d say any public figure (especially one in a league that’s had issues when it comes to violence against women) is fair game, regardless of how much time has elapsed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    This isn't coming from the woman involved. This was dug up by the media. It would be one thing if the woman came out publicly and announced the charges herself. But she hasn't. Now her life is being turned upside down as well as Patricia's for an alleged crime he was never convicted of.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah but those are weak witnesses. All the defense has to do is ask if any one of them saw him assault her and is there any shred of evidence of him assaulting her. And it's interesting where you got that info from considering no one tied to the case even remembers it and all documentation by the police department and DA's office was tossed. I don't recall any documentation by the hospital or doctor either. Where did you get this info from?

Not only that, but any competent lawyer is going to tear her statements apart. They burst into her room, a dark room, and took turns assaulting her. How much alcohol was in her system? She identified them because she hung around them that day. That's the only reason. She's in party central at Spring Break, and a defense of she had nothing to drink is going to get exposed because she was seen all day with a drink in her hand. Both men were going to testify she drank all day long with them. Now we have a case of 2 witnesses to her one.

The real reason she dropped the charges is she didn't want to get exposed. She might have been raped, but there's hardly any evidence of it and none to link the men to the case. This is why there needs to be a law that says if a woman accuses a man of sexual assault, resulting in them getting arrested, getting indicted and then on the day of the court decides not to go through, she is then charged for obstruction of justice. My issue with this is we will never know but IF these 2 were really innocent, they have to go through the next 22 years with a black cloud over their heads. Now the black cloud is a storm and today's climate they are guilty and will be vilified by their peers.

“But on a personal level, it’s a brand that stays with you forever,” Corbett said. “There’s no way to get around it. (They) never had a chance to defend against it, and there was no finding of guilt but from a public-perception standpoint; this is a thing that may follow them for the rest of their lives.”

She goes on with her life as if nothing ever happened. No one knows her name and no one can put a face to the name. I'm not saying she didn't get assaulted but there's no evidence these 2 did it and she was in a location known for having many sping breakers. Considering the case never made it to court, they are innocent. They can't even re-try because no evidence exists today. Yet, because some stupid newspaper had to write a garbage piece, they reopen old wounds. What does the story prove? Nothing. It proves nothing happened and if I'm Patricia, I'm thinking of suing the paper for slander. If the article presented additional evidence that the case was legit, then it's good journalism. This article only proves the paper is full of incompetent journalists who saw a story and came away with nothing more. This is nothing more than a piece from the National Enquirer. I'd be embarrassed to release this article and I would never have put my name on it. All I had to do is read it once and then toss it realizing I'm a shitty journalist who can't give a single reason why I would want it printed other than to destroy someone's life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    I’ve seen college/pro athletes get slandered for alleged crimes they were never convicted of several times on here. Welcome Matt Patricia to the club.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    How is her life upside down? No one knows who she is, she remains incognito, while Patricia and the other guy have to be the ones exposed yet again. This country is treading thin ice with convicting before a trial. Yet I still stand behind my assertion that the paper needs to be held liable for punitive damages to both parties. This was a horrible article that did nothing but reopen old wounds. This woman might even have gone on with her life and now has to go through it all again. This is a case that has zero chance of ever going to trial. The more I read this article the more blame I place on the newspaper for printing it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    LOL@this being an America problem. Athletes get called “rapists” and get slandered all the time despite not being convicted.

17. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Kosovo
    I would say many of the Weinstein charges are pretty fresh, and there is some audio evidence to boot. The older charges more or less reinforce the newer ones. Also, with both Cosby and Weinstein, the sheer number of women who came forward was very telling in my opinion. With Patricia, if it's just one very old complaint, then I'm inclined to leave this guy alone. I just don't think you could ever prove or disprove the allegation at this point, but we could all certainly make the guy's life a living hell. Maybe for no reason.

18. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 Senior

Nov 14, 2015
    People tend to forget the Duke rape case involving the lacrosse players. Everyone was ready to put them in jail , just because of an accusation..

In this country you’re guilty until proven innocent. We have become a society where an accusation automatically means guilt...

People need to have a wait and see approach, before making assumptions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I got that info from Detroit news papers.

I'll bet you $1 million that she did not go on with her life as if nothing happened. She may not suffer publicly as Patricia is but I'm sure everyday since hasnt been unicorns and rainbows.

The victim herself said she didn't want to go through a painful trial. (Something to that effect) You're the only one I've seen that said she didn't want to be exposed.

Why don't you believe the people have the right to know that this guy has lied for 22 years after being indicted? When an employer asks you if you've ever or are you currently under criminal investigation and one says no, they're lying. He's a fraud.

In the end you have no more reason to believe she's lying than I do that she's telling the truth. The mere fact that he refused to mention it tells me he's lying.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't believe thats the point. The point the newspapers are referring to is this guy has lied to multiple employers. They haven't said he's guilty. I believe he is due to his actions.

• Disagree Disagree x 1