Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Links to reference sites includes COVID references/links

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by OaktownGator, May 21, 2018.

1. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    Thread for posting independent ratings of Media Sources.

This thread is not for arguing our own partisan biases. We do plenty of that elsewhere.

Pubs who believe FNC is the "truth" will never agree with Dems who believe MSNBC is the "truth" and vice versa.. so let's not waste time with that stuff.

If you have reference to an independent review/rating of media sources feel free to add for reference.

This should hopefully give us all a little better reference point for the level of quality and bias in the media we consume.

Here is one such reference point. Not meant to be the end all, be all... just a decent starting point.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    From Forbes, an article on news sources where you will find real facts: 10 Journalism Brands Where You Find Real Facts Rather Than Alternative Facts

The rest of his top ten in order:
    4. BBC
    5. The Economist
    6. The New Yorker
    7. Wire Services: AP, Reuters, Bloomberg
    8. Foreign Affairs
    9. The Atlantic
    10. Politico

Runners Up: NPR, Time, Christian Science Monitor, LA Times, USA Today, ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, CNN
    (I think this list should include just the Fox News show and not the Fox News Channel overall, but FNC didn't cut it and neither did MSNBC - no real surprise for either)

Business News Sources: Forbes, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Fortune, Financial Times

From the Right: National Review, Weekly Standard

From the Left: New Republic, The Nation

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    Here's another similar chart with some different categorizations. I don't know if I agree with it all, but pretty much any chart thrown up here while lacking qualitative and quantitative criteria used to evaluate them is going to be pure speculation. For example Fox News gets bashed because of Hannity et al, but their hard news coverage is pretty good. Wapo has some similar crazy opinion writers, but the opinion pieces are a much smaller portion of their product. ABC News is up at the top with factual reporting, but that's only their news show. What if you throw in The View and their Sunday show to make it comparable to the cable news networks? MSNBC is in the "fair opinion" section which is crap since they are just as biased as Fox, but don't stray from the facts as often.

[​IMG]

All Generalizations are False - Home of the Media Bias Chart

• Like Like x 1
  4. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    upload_2018-5-21_17-54-30.png

This shows the news programs separated out from the totality of the network programing.

5. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Guys and gals - lets post informational references in here.

Nothing personal, but deleting the conversation as it distracts from this as a reference tool. Please feel free to post other references.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Here is a nice source of left / right bias ratings. I use it when people link obscure news sites. 9 times out of 10 they have a rating although usually my spam filter lets me know if it is a whack job site posted by the usuals.

Media Bias Ratings

Their 'balanced' news page presents stories on the left side from sites it ranks as lefty, center from the center, and right from the righties. More fun than a ball of string.

AllSides | Balanced news via media bias ratings for an unbiased news perspective

• Like Like x 3
  7. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  8. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  9. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    This map is very very detailed. My neighbors were 1,832 for Trump and 888 for Clinton. The nearest Clinton precinct is a 16 minute drive in traffic. Amazing how many 90% Clinton precincts border 90% Trump precincts. Birds of a feather flock together I guess.

Dont confuse area with density. Lots of red in pure area but as you all know it was pretty even split across the country give or take a few illegal immigrants I bused in my SUV.

An Extremely Detailed Map of the 2016 Presidential Election
    [​IMG]

10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Foreign News Sources

Don't overlook or dismiss foreign news sources if you are seeking the truth of things. An objective view of world and national events requires removing not only the left-right nonsense, but also the blind spot any nation state's press maintains in order to appease its government and/or the corporations that own the media outlets. If you want a more complete picture of what's going on here (or anywhere else), you should also peruse news sources that are not subject to reprisals for reporting on the events for which you are seeking information.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. OaktownGator

Apr 3, 2007
    @RayGator just created a thread on this, and I thought it could be useful reference info here as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    @fastsix, Did you post a link about most frequent hashtags the other day?

13. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
  14. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
  15. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

16. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Originally posted by @duchen

After being beaten up by mods for quoting more than 4 lines from the Mueller Report because I did not provide a link, I decided to link the entire report from the DOJ website. So, this is a public document and is not copyrighted. paid for by the taxpayers of the United states as reimbursed by Paul Manafort's assets.

So, now, when we cite volume, line and page, there is a link for easy reference.

https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

• Like Like x 2
  18. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks to @citygator for posting in a thread. I copied it to the reference thread.

Men vs. Women: Who Is More Active on Social Media?

Females use social media less than men for business reasons, whereas women use social media to share more personal information, revealing more about their personal lives. Women are more vocal, expressive and willing to share. In other words, women are biologically wired for social networking.

[​IMG]

19. OklahomaGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Home

2017 crime statistics from the FBI

• Winner Winner x 1